Home Technical Talk

To mold as the Greek mathematician Euclid

catalin01
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
catalin01 polycounter lvl 10
Hello!

So i have a question in wich google could not provide me whit the answer i'm looking for :)

Is there any tutorial - technique - tip's -guidelines - any support that can help a 3d modeler to achieve a correct block out when working whit a concept drawing that illustrates the object you want to model from one perspective [ It could be difficult at times to accurately guess the dimensions, the angles and curvature of objects - as we may know drawings can some times defy the euclidian geometry :) ]

How can you analyze a great artwork before you begin to form an idea of how to block out the shape. Having a great guideline when creating complicated geometry or a large environment, is firmly important to offer a swimmingly transition trough the process of creating an accurate reproduction of the intended object or scene, what can you use to take the correct proportions (i would say experience in this case but i'm sure there must be some helpers for this process), how can you make the lines of your blackout line-up :) with the flow line of your reference, how to achieve a visually pleasing block out - silhouette before pushing to the -subd- model.

I had an idea of trying to use the "3D Grammer" of perspective drawing to determine the 2D position & proportions, as in my situation artist's have a similar process, at first they do a block out (use simple shapes to draw more complex shapes using them as guidelines and this block out technique is a process that has a compendium of rules, tips&tricks, techniques etc.) so a 3d block out should have on it's one a compendium :).

Is there a way i could firmly capture from a concept art the necessary detail in my block-out (hard points, freedom, forbidden zone, length, width, height, curvature etc) so to summarize could i extract from a 2d picture a kind of Engineering schematic Design :)

Thank you sorry for long read

Replies

• MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    Carapace form Epic could help

http://epicgames.com/community/2012/11/free-art-tool-released-thanks-to-epic-friday/

I think experience is what makes you better in this stuff. Drawing for example isn't putting marks on a paper. It's knowing where to put them. Observation is way more important skill than making marks on the paper.
  • catalin01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well i gave a crack at it and i got this result so far :) I just wanted to get the right dimensions.
    blockout.pngwastelandskiffbyhazzard.jpg
  • 4evra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4evra polycounter lvl 4
    it just takes a close observation and a scale comparion.

Make 1 element of the vehicle in any scale,then,add up to that one by making elements that are next to him,while maintaining a scale between them.

Your back engine is a bit big,compare its size to the seat,its only as big as the head part of the seat is :)
  • catalin01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I made a few more things but i have a problem whit my rendering i get dirty spots on the edges im using scanline whit a skylight.
    dirtt.pngblock2c.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    one quick bit of advice:

Finish blocking out the entire mesh before doing any detail! You've started going in and adding small details, but you still have major proportional issues compared to the concept. This can be a huge time sink when you realize your scale is all wrong and your mesh is very dense and hard to work with.
  • catalin01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well this was the reason from my thread :( How to get the proportion right, a technique i came to learn is to compare 1 object from the picture in relation whit another near it and identify an legacy object where i know it's real dimensions (ex. the seat - the length of a body) ..

1. I modeled at the fuel tank a few hour's just moving vertices and i did not get a good replica is there a better method ?

2. Is there a way to smooth vertices on surface (similar to Paintable smooth deformer for Maya )

3. As seen in the concept art at the tank there is allmost a planer face just passing the fuel tank cap - is there a way to turn a curved surface in a planer surface (exlcuding the planer tool - cuz it moves them all over the place)

4. I want to be a cowboy! pew pew
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No one can really help you refine your critical comparison skills like practice can, it just takes time. There isn't some tricky trick or magic formula that will make it all snap into place. I can point things out that don't fit right but then you're just relying on the skills that I've developed and not fostering your own.

Forget about rendering out shots on a black background. The skylight (highly diffused lighting with ambient shadows) method is a nightmare for helping to distill proper proportion. Set the viewport to realistic with scene lights turned on and put a few direct lights and maybe an omni (read up on 3 point lighting) in there if you want to take some beauty WIP shots. It can help to add a little bit of specularity to your material as well but forget about skylights...

1) I think you're starting with a pretty complex part first which happens to be the focal point of the concept. When you start to break concepts down you need to view them differently than how a normal person views art, where their eye gravitates to a focal point and they wonder around in predictable patterns, you can't always do that. You need to break the image down and almost reverse engineer it, almost as if you where going to build it, (but you aren't going to model inner workings and things you don't see).

2) There is paint relax inside of 3dsmax but I think you might be looking for something a bit more like relaxing topology without effecting the mesh? For something like that you will need a script like this:
    http://www.cgchannel.com/2011/11/marius-silaghi-releases-toporelax-for-3ds-max/

3) There are a few ways to deform planar objects, it all depends on what you want to do and how editable it is.Geometry projection: http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/geometry-projection?ref=nf
    You can also use a FFD cage, or a morpher modifier, or skin wrap on a mesh that deforms, animates or morphs or bla bla bla bla. These kinds of things are excellent questions that bring a lot of people out of the wood work and are much easier to actually answer rather than "how do I refine my critical eye skills".
  • catalin01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx Mark very helpful :).

I made the frame :) of the car , but i got a few questions ..

I turbo smoothed the fuel tank and made it a editable poly :( "so stupid" is there a way to go back to the non-turbosmoothed object?

I just discovered the wonderful power of splines ( the seat was made whit splines) - any one know some advance or very in depth tutorials, reading material about 3ds max splines.

94809941.png
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    catalin01 wrote: »
    I turbo smoothed the fuel tank and made it a editable poly :( "so stupid" is there a way to go back to the non-turbosmoothed object?

You could try using this tool.
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1087295#post1087295