Home Technical Talk

Odd Max Vertex Paint Issue...?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
odium polycounter lvl 18
First of all, I don't fully know if this is engine related or Max, so if everything looks ok in Max, it may be the engine. Nicolas is offline atm so I can't ask.

Anyway, the problem is that my Max viewport and preview look different to what I get ingame, with a much weaker result. I'm not sure why this is, so I've attached a few pics with my settings etc on them. Any thoughts guys? Its stopped me quite a lot lol:

vertex_paint_issue.jpg

vertex_paint_issue_2.jpg

vertex_paint_issue_3.jpg

Any thoughts guys? Cheers in advance.

Replies

• cupsster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cupsster polycounter lvl 11
    check for doubleface and you can blur it ;)
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Double face? Blur? I'm not saying they would solve it (I don't know what double face means) but why would that change the opactiy of a vertex paint from save?
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Based only on what I see, I have a gut feeling that it might have something to do with max working in percents and the engine with regular colors. In other words, 0-100 scale versus 0-255 scale. So when in max you make something white, 100%, ingame it's only 100/255, or a fairly dark gray.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    That sounds like something that could happen, I'll have a word when I can, might be a possible bug, or an oversight.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Ok so spoke with Nicolas, and this ones a bit of a tit. See, if Max is pumping out the model with 0-100 range for the vertex paint, then its easy enough to do some sort of switch/check to convert that to 0-255, however that will have precision issues and clearly stepping. Not a good solution.

But inside Max, I find zero relating to this. At all. My other vertex painted meshes don't have this issue, this is the first one. I even deleted the textures and started again and boom, same issue. Next test is to change the vertex pain modifier in the stack and just go totally from scratch, but then... I shouldn't have to.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Yup, as I thought. Deleted the whle thing bar mesh and started it all again and it works fine. Very odd.
  • Sam Hatami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sam Hatami polycounter lvl 16
    I've never noticed this, it might actually have happened without me noticing it ingame. I'll have a vertexpaint on my ground later on. Knowing max -> OD, it'll probably be a couple of differences. I'll see what I can do script wise, maybe there is a way of increasing tranformation precsion pre-export.

Seems though you kind of solved it, exluding that you had to delete & redo :P

Hugs and kisses.