Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Medieval Camp Environment

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Shyralon polycounter lvl 11
<Update>
presentationxe.jpg
Hi!
So I decided to start a new project, a medieval camp environment.
Not really sure wether to use UDK or Cryengine, but I think it's going to be a UDK scene. Main purpose of this thread is to get critique and to keep me motivated.
So lets get started:
I don't have much yet, but here are 2 tent models:
medieval_tent_by_shyralon-d5p5so4.jpg
medieval_tent_2_by_shyralon-d5pk88s.jpg

And here a quick test in UDK:
13083306.jpg

45022104.jpg

Replies

• brandoom
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Give those tents some more polys, they're too perfect.

For instance, have a look at the shape/outline of this tent compared to yours.

Herold12.jpg

Not a bad start though. Just need to give your tents some character! :)
  • Shyralon
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, nice image :)
    Okay, I remade the tent with an eye to silhouette.
    Don't look at the texture right now, only trying to make more interesting shapes.
    550 tris right now.
    newuu.jpg
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Give the cloth some bending inwards, who cares if it doesnt match the ref, it would look much better.
    Just my opinion.
  • Shyralon
    Offline / Send Message
    Needed a little break from making tents, so I made a table and did some in-engine tests with udk grass and smoke/fire (planning to make my own, just to see how it might look like) and experimenting with different compositions.
    58029042.jpg
  • Shyralon
    Offline / Send Message
    42052999.jpg
    Small update :)
    Just added more stuff..
    42052999.jpg
    42052999.jpg
  • hamzaaa
    Offline / Send Message
    hamzaaa polycounter lvl 11
    I really like your start! I too think you could work a little bit more on those tents but you already know that. Looking forward to more! Sub'd
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Try to get rid of the superstraight line on the overhang-thing, try to bend it , like it's weighing down in the middle. Good work so far!
  • Shyralon
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I know, I'm already working on the tents.
    Somehow the picture in my previous post was gone, hope it works now.
  • Shyralon
    Offline / Send Message
    Very small update :)
    Just made one or two new models (this fence thing and a little chest), still working on the tents.
    90874511.jpg
  • ayoub44
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
    hi i dont really khnow wath style you are going to . are you trying to make a hand painted environment ? or some really good looking env , try to use some zbrush to get some details or normal maps .. try to work on chris crits about straight line . your new assets are good just try to work on texture more add dirt and stuff on it and make those wood have low contrast because they are not your really what you want people to look
    hope this help and keep it up
  • ASGUARDVIKING
    Hey there

Looks real cool, ya are doing well. one thing i think needs to happen with the textures is give them a little more vibrance or depth.
  • Shyralon
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, I never thought about Zbursh for creating textures, I'm definitely going to try this out :)
  • Shyralon
    Offline / Send Message
    Took a look at Zbrush and made this little axe, but having problems with baking good normal maps right now...
    73902524.jpg

Before that I tried to make a landscape for the scene, but I am not going to use it because..the scale is off, colors don't match the scene and many more things..but it still was a good learning experience to make it...
    94797301.jpg
  • Shyralon
    Offline / Send Message
    Made a few new assets, a banner with two texture variations, a sword (wip textures), a new tent (also wip textures) and an axe..
    Also added normals to most of the textures to give them more depth.
    20387345.jpg
  • Elod.H
    Offline / Send Message
    Elod.H polycounter lvl 11
    Hey Shyralon,

I can see that you are working hard on this, a lot of effort is being put into this project, well done :) .
    The very first thing that popped into my mind when I looked at all the pictures is that I think you are using way to few polygons. Nowadays, you can put much more polys/tris into game engines, so I would use that to give everything a more irregular look.

There are too many vertical lines in the scene right now, a lot of things look too perfect. I'd say don't worry about the textures at all right now, instead just throw on a greyish material maybe and focus on silhouette. Once you've nailed that down, you can start texturing.
    That's my opinion :) .
    Keep us posted, I really want to see what you make out of this :) .
  • Shyralon
    Offline / Send Message
    I was very busy the last month so I had no time to work on the scene, but now I continued remaking the tents. Still having some problems with Zbrush and not 100% happy with the look of (especially) the folds, but here's what the current highpoly looks like:
    83813728.jpg
    And here are a few little changes I made before, changed the lighting an made these hamthings, they are supossed to hang on some kind of string up there, still missing. plan is to build some kind of kitchen/cookplace.
    8106796_orig.jpg
  • Shyralon
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked more on the tents, but having a weird problem with udk now, maybe anyone knows how to fix it?
    Every time when I try to import a model, UDK says "failed to parse FBX file".
    Makes no difference if I usw Maya or Max to export, already updated UDK version, the FBX file itself doesn't seem to be corrupted because I can still import/export it between Max and Maya. And it's with all models I create right now, so I assume it has something to do with my UDK... Any ideas?
  • Shyralon
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's some kind of final presentation shot while i'm trying to fix my UDK problems and moving on to other projects.
    presentationxe.jpg