Home Technical Talk

what is considered post production effects?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
underfox polycounter lvl 7
Hello,

Well , i'm doing an art test at the moment and I am forbidden of using any kind of "post production effects " for my final render ", I can only do and have the final render of the scene done in 3ds max.

So I have some basic question about what a mobile game studio would be looking for as a "render for a real time environment" don in 3dmax only.

Should my render be taken directly from the viewport or can I make a render of my scene (knowing that i am not using any shadow from the lights and everything is baked into my lightmap)?

I'm unsure if doing a render of my scene would be counted as a post prod effect? If that's the case how can I achieve a great looking real time render directly from my viewport? (I always used game engine like unity or UDK to showcase my works, and doing it in 3Ds only is quite challenging for me.

Thank you for your answers.

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Take screenshots from your viewport, and don't paint over them to add in anything other than what you see (you can probably add your name and any text that provides information about the image somewhere that is out of the way, but don't paint in any fake shadows, don't blur or sharpen anything, etc).
  • underfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Then doing a simple render of the scene is the out of the question? even tho it only permit a beter texture quality viewing?

the thing is by taking a screen of my viewport, the texture quality ( even when maxed via customize > preferences ) doesn't even reach half of what it should be.

and every texture with alpha does a very poor job in the viewport.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    rendering the scene then editing the render is post production... adding bloom fx, blur, glows, color tinting it so it looks more cinematic adding depth of field... the list goes on... don't you have to submit the model, textures, and renders for them to look at it?
  • underfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes I have to hand everything to them along with 3 screenshot minimum of the scene, 1 with the lightning rig, another with textures only ( unlighted ) and another as a final render.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Then doing a simple render of the scene is the out of the question? even tho it only permit a beter texture quality viewing?

If the company is looking to have their assets rendered in realtime, chances are they probably want to see that it looks like in real time with whatever restrictions they give you. For example, I've seen art tests specifically mention something along the lines of 'no anti-aliasing, no texture filtering'.

It can come down to the wording of the tests and any communication you might have with the company, but I would try to follow any limits like that as closely as possible, while going above and beyond in other areas. For example, I don't think there would be anything wrong with giving them everything they are looking for, along with a small Unity Player scene that lets them rotate around the same assets being rendered there at a similar resolution to what they specified in the test. Just don't let such a scene be a substitute to anything they specifically requested of you.
  • underfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the information guys, as for a render in unity or udk they said i could not ( I asked them right at the beginning ) final render should be done in 3ds only, but my scene in the viewports looks bad in term of texture quality and alpha texture quality. i'm just afraid to send them a render of the scene rather than a screenshot of the viewport itself.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    rendering the scene with antialiasing isn't post production... the only reason not to have that one is if you are doing work that don't support it. that doesn't see, to be the case with you. don't you have a decent viewport shader for your 3d program? the screenshot will on help them if they can't open the scene or the material setup is messed up when they open on their machine. usually it's used to see what the model is supposed to look like. So I would make sure they look as good as possible when rendered.
  • underfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'm going to put both just to be sure, legended " viewport version " and " rendered version " what do you think?
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    if that makes you feel better do it.