Home General Discussion

ZBrush 4R5

Andreas
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Andreas polycounter lvl 11
Just released. Not a lot of new features sculpting wise, but some much needed save/back-up options!

http://www.pixologic.com/

Replies

• WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The dynamic brush size option is a small thing but I've been waiting for that for ages now. No more fiddling with the radius every time I move the camera!
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    The dynamic brush size option is a small thing but I've been waiting for that for ages now. No more fiddling with the radius every time I move the camera!

Seriously, it's about time they added this, this feature alone makes this upgrade worthwhile.
  • Giles_P
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice to see a free update having only just purchased a license a week ago. Really enjoying it though, highly recommend Eat3D comprehensive 3.5 zbrush introduction for anyone starting out.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TeeJay wrote: »
    Still waiting to purchase until they add a feature where a non-commercial license isn't £600 GBP.

Looks exciting and nice to see they're still improving things.

Christ, I thought that was a commercial licence... how much does one of those go for?
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    Lol yeah I worded that badly. That is a commercial license, there's no such thing as a hobbyist license, hence my complaint.

£600 is pocket change for a studio or freelancer, but a lot of money for those who just do it for fun. No more expensive than other hobbies I suppose but still, it'd be nice to see a more affordable offering for those of us who don't make money from using it.

Like Allegorithmic just did with SD3, and I suppose like Autodesk do to a certain extent with their freebies for students/out of work people.

I highly doubt you'll see a hobbyist license at a reduced cost. We're talking about a company that has slowly increased the cost of their product on a fair percentage rate, provided FREE updates of EVERY version of their product to existing customers, and solidified their product as a strong industry standard tool. The cost may seem high for the goals you want to achieve. The long term investment is worth it IMHO. Even hobbyists take their hobby seriously (not saying that you do not) and reducing the cost of their product on the 'word' of a possible customer saying 'I'm a hobbyist' is an unwise move if that possible customer/hobbyist could still make money off of their product. It is a fair price for everyone.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    these guys are beast at releasing updates, i have not even gone through the last properly.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Less Apple products will sort that conundrum out Jay mate! :D
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm happy to see the save backup functionality implemented! yes!!! Though I still anticipate their 64-bit version. Assuming it will possibly come out in ZBrush 5 :)
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Woop woop, looking forward to trying this when I get home. Always thought it odd they didn't have the dynamic brush size before, when even Blender has had it for some time.

On top of Firebert's post; I also like how they support second hand sales of Zbrush by updating their records about email addresses etc. so the buyer then gets the emails about the updates and what not.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm getting a malware warning from your portfolio link Mongrel :)
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah same, started awhile ago (a friend told me he was getting it, but I wasn't in the browser I used). Deleted old site, made a new one, this comes back. No idea how to fix it :(
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Mongrelman wrote: »
    Yeah same, started awhile ago (a friend told me he was getting it, but I wasn't in the browser I used). Deleted old site, made a new one, this comes back. No idea how to fix it :(

Here are the 3 sites causing the issue:
    adstat150.com/, marinstat1282246.ru/, lmstat450.com/.

It's been almost a month since the last google-checkup, so maybe they're gone?
  • Ruz
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    autosave is projects only? project files are enormous. better than nothing though
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    They should launch Zbrush 5, 64 bits now. All the apps i use are 64 bits except Zbrush. At these days, this is a shame.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Ruz wrote: »
    autosave is projects only? project files are enormous. better than nothing though
    If you think those are enormous, never try mudbox. :P
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Are there any videos for the new features? I wasn't able to find one.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz wrote: »
    That's because Project files are essentially 'scene' files as Maya or Max, they're the only thing in ZB that will keep your entire scene intact and last how you left it.

ZTools are essentially the OBJ version of ZB, they're as basic as you can get without breaking the bank.

I also don't understand why people keep on getting 'huge' file sized for Project files. Maybe clean up your scene (masks, layers, etc) before saving? In most cases, a clean basic ZProject and a ZTool should be about the same size, save for a couple of hundred mega's of difference.
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    Are there any videos for the new features? I wasn't able to find one.

Not yet, maybe some of the beta tester will post them soon on their channels.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I fell in love when I saw the "autosaving in"

<3
  • DashXero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DashXero polycounter lvl 11
    Is there any way to turn off autosaving? I can't find an option to do so in preferences, and I'm usually pretty good at saving regularly. It gets a little annoying when I'm flowing in my work and the autosave pops up preventing me from doing anything for a minute or two...

EDIT: After spending more time with 4r5 I'm noticing that they've made some, er, interesting choices with the default UI behavior. For example, I typically have both the subtool and geometry subpalettes open when I work. However, by default, only one subpalette can be open at a time.

If you want to restore the old default UI behavior, look for the "One Open Subpalette" button (under Preferences -> Interface -> Palettes), and turn that one off. You might also want to toggle the buttons in its neighbor "Subpalette Popup" off.

Why do they keep fucking with the stuff that already works? I love the new features they come up with, but I always find myself dreading new updates and releases of zBrush because I find myself wondering, "What basic thing that I take for granted are they gonna fuck up this time?"
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Lol yeah I worded that badly. That is a commercial license, there's no such thing as a hobbyist license, hence my whining.
    But there is sculptris.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I think I am mostly excited by the see-through feature. Unlike most of the more powerful zbrush tools, this one seems clearly aimed at accurate work from established designs as opposed to "creatively exploring" ... random alien heads. Don't get me wrong, being able to improvise shapes until something cool happens is great (as the r5 example images show), but it's really not that useful in a production environment. With the Spotlight and Image Plane workflows being so clunky, see-through mode might be a huge production boost.

(and the dynamic brush size sounds great too, of course, but that's a given).
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They have a plane system in place, but as you said, it's clunky.

Not to mention, it needs to be in TIF format for correct display.
  • Gestalt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gestalt polycounter lvl 11
    I'm so pumped for the see-through option. I was just recently getting pissed off working with references for something, dropping the references down to the canvas and changing the model's opacity, matching the view, tried a little application that let you take an image and overlay it but it was by no means ideal. This is so straightforward and flexible, should be very helpful.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Exactly! I really wish more programs would embrace this. Anything allowing to reference source images without annoying file saves and imports is potentially a productivity boost.

Now I wish they would focus on curve based manipulation of surfaces now. Because being able to make broad yet precise surface adjustments really is the next step when it comes to matching reference images (as opposed to relying on awkward manipulators or the move brushes)

Cool to see how quickly they released this update, that's for sure.
  • Robert Zamber
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autosave could potentially be a real problem for me... anyone figure out how to turn it off?
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    i was lucky enough to betatest this one and i must say some of these features are a real time/lifesaver
    Things like the see-through, autosave and dynamic brush are small things but make such a difference
    i can now setup a referencesheet in photoshop and if im unsure about proportions just put it behind my zbrush window and activate the see-through to start matching things a bit more closely.
    I also really like the panel-loops , i dont do a lot of mechanical stuff in zbrush but tried making an organic armor with it and it really helped getting clean shapes in there

theres a preview of it on the background of this page http://www.pixologic.com/zbrush/features/ZBrush4R5/workflow-enhancements/
  • dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
    The see through window transparency is amazing!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    CrazyMatt wrote: »
    I'm happy to see the save backup functionality implemented! yes!!! Though I still anticipate their 64-bit version. Assuming it will possibly come out in ZBrush 5 :)

https://support.pixologic.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/66/0/is-zbrush-4r2-64-bit

"ZBrush 4R2 is still 32-bit. It is Large Address Aware, which means that on a 64-bit OS it can use twice as much RAM as is possible on a 32-bit OS. This allows it to use up to 4 GB. Between HD subdivision levels and SubTools you should be able to accomplish most anything. After all, HD allows up to 1 billion polygons -- vastly more information than even an 8K map can hold. HD details can also be exported as color, displacement or UV maps. SubTools of course allow you to break models up into smaller components with minimal increase to RAM use. This means that even without using HD you can get to extremely high polygon counts.
    ZBrush 5 is going to be 64-bit. No release estimate is available at this time."
  • Gestalt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gestalt polycounter lvl 11
    See through option seems cool, but I don't have any problems with my current method. I put character concept art into Spotlight and I can adjust the size or opacity of it as needed, or even quickly hide it with with a hotkey. And if you take your concept into Photoshop and paint black all around the subject (ie paint the entire background 0,0,0 black), you'll get a transparent knockout in Spotlight, which is nice.

The new feature seems really good if you just want to have a bunch of references/inspiration splayed out and simple, like using a web browser to find images, you don't even have to find a place to save them or import them into Zbrush. Spotlight is a little cumbersome for such a simple thing, but besides that... for some reason I always think of Spotlight as something just for poly painting, no idea why. I really need to start using it more.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Autosave could potentially be a real problem for me... anyone figure out how to turn it off?

You could probably just crank the duration and rest time up all the way. From the sounds of it the saves are treated as separate files, so if that's the case then you wont have to worry about overwriting previous work that you don't want to. If disk space is the problem then you can lower the number of backups, turn off history, and delete existing backups with the click of a button. I haven't dug around the full preferences yet so there could be a way to disable the feature all together, but even if there isn't the worse thing to expect sounds like a low disk space error.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Bek wrote: »
    But there is sculptris.

Thats a knee slapper, good one

Id use blender sculpt before I used sculptris IMHO
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    frell wrote: »
    Thats a knee slapper, good one

Id use blender sculpt before I used sculptris IMHO
    What's wrong with it? I've never used it but assumed it's just a gimped version of Zbrush.
  • DashXero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DashXero polycounter lvl 11
    Bek, Sculptris is actually very different from ZBrush. You've gotta try it. My words can't do justice to it.

Personally, I freaking LOVE Sculptris, and wish they could find a way to integrate it into zBrush as a set of features or something.

However, it's very easy to make Sculptris chug - even if you're really careful about reducing triangles regularly.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's good, it just wouldn't be that fully featured. Nothing wrong with it though.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    DashXero wrote: »
    If you want to restore the old default UI behavior, look for the "One Open Subpalette" button (under Preferences -> Interface -> Palettes), and turn that one off. You might also want to toggle the buttons in its neighbor "Subpalette Popup" off.

You're my hero.
  • Ladytron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ladytron polycounter lvl 9
  • OverlordNeko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i love the see-through feature. Simple, but brilliant.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I've been using Ghostit for years to overlay references and add transparency to any application. Its free and I've never had it break anything yet.
  • GrevSev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrevSev polycounter lvl 9
    Panel loops feature in action
    http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?174873
    That vehicle looks..so basic yet so damn cool
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure that vehicle would look half as cool without the music. pretty groovy vid though.