Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Pointers on Workflow and Retopo

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Jakob Gavelli interpolator
Hey!

Until now my workflow has been very short, using only Maya and Photoshop to handpaint my lowpoly objects.

Now I'm trying to expand my horizons and learn how to use Zbrush which is really, really difficult ( Why does every 3d program insist on having different hotkeys for everything?! ).

So what I'm doing is what I think is pretty standard. Highpoly > Sculpt > Retopo > Bake.

I'm doing the highpoly or initial blockout in Maya then move into Zbrush for sculpting and to retopo. Then I bake using Maya.

Here's my results :
8292673096_4c0abb321d.jpg
WallLit by Jakpe, on Flickr

8292673346_45e815d393.jpg
WallUnlit by Jakpe, on Flickr

8292673784_6cb4c730f9.jpg
WallWires by Jakpe, on Flickr

Ment for a FPS, the "low"-poly currently sits on 1351 tris which feels really high. I did the whole retopo in Zbrush, and it behaves a bit weird. Hence many polys being split.

What am I doing wrong with the retopo? Should the bricks be in like.. chunks instead of separate to save polys and if so how do I identify where this could be the solution?

Next issue is my lacking UVMapping skills, I used Maya to transfer the normals which I then poured liquid sex on using dDo :

8291592787_64bea89cfd.jpg
AncientWall_dDo_d by Jakpe, on Flickr

8291676515_75ed0072f7.jpg
AncientWall_dDo_n by Jakpe, on Flickr

Firstly, the sides have some serious stretching issues so they need to be pulled out.I'm finding myself realll lazy when it comes to UVmapping which is so fricken stupid! Here I basically split the parts that felt logical and just relaxed them alot..... In hindsight this sounds so dumb, but anyways! Moveing on!

The real headscratcher here is the big, thick and ugly bulges around all the edges. What am I doing wrong?

Is this problem related to the Highpoly > Retopo or to the Baking process?

Hopefully someone can shed some light on my problems!

If not, thanks for reading ^^