Home General Discussion

Somebody is up for a Civil War?

JR
polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
JR polycounter lvl 15
Hello guys. I just want to know if any of you has some free time now, to run a Civil War against me. The purpose would be doing a character creation, maybe just the concept or a hand painted model (or both, if we have enough time). I haven't thought in a theme yet. We could think about something.

Anyone interested?

Replies

• skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    Things are pretty busy with the holiday season. But I'd be up for it if you did a hand painted model without the typical girls, space marine, warrior topic. Been really focusing on improving my hand painted textures, and practice equals improvement. And I'd love doing a topic with humor.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    ...perhaps? I'd be interested if you write up a brief or theme.
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    i might go for it.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    yeah I'm interested in learning more... especially if hand painted textures are involved.
  • Elijah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm up for doing a concept.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    So, lets hear it JR. What are we creating? :poly124:
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    I need more real-time assets for my folio and this sounds like a good opportunity, so I'm interested.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    I'd be in if the brief is interesting enough & hand painted textures. :)
    Would posting our threads here be a good and ideal idea?

Maybe a team up theme? Someone concepts the other models and they can both texture sort of deal, so we can get concept artists in on this idea, also we could probably throw in some environment artists and get some environment artist in on this since they always feel left out?

If we go even crazier and get some animators in on this and make this one big collaboration effort for a team work themed contest/challenge and experience of working together?
    How's that for thinking outside the box? lol, I want credit damn it!:poly136:

Edit 1: updating..for better understanding.
    Everything is tied into the characters, environments telling his/her story, the environment can be a pedestal type of setting very decorated, the animators pose and provide short movement animations, walking, running, special movement ect..

\/ is that referring to the street fighter challenge, no one put the characters into the environments (that I know of) made or didn't make them for specific characters, also these would be original settings...(well as original as they can be.)
  • weisheng
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    weisheng polycounter lvl 9
    keeeeeeeeeeeen :D
  • Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    At the start of the new year I might be interested, definitely if it involved hand painted textures.
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EtotheRic polycounter lvl 18
    How about a war of the weird.

I had an idea for a theme:
    Modern day garbage pail kid.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks for your interest, guys! I hadn't thought in anything special yet... But here go some ideas:

1. Create a main character for a children's book like game. This could be a great oportunity to explore different drawing/painting styles than we are usualy stuck.

2. Create an stylized soldier. Stylization here could be freely done, going into cartoon, caricature, manga or even more serious styles (like GOW, maybe). Soldiers can be from any country (or even from another planet) and any time period.

3. Create a fighting game character. This could be a more humorous theme, since fighting game chars tend to use bizarre outfits, and have strange motivations to fight.

If we really start a Civil war, I think we should keep a small group, to ensure comitment. 3 guys, or maybe 4. I'd pick the guys who are more closer of my humble level of ability (to not be massacred, haha!).

$!nz: Man, projects with a large staff like this tends not to work, unless they are paid. Let's try things simple. Each artist create your own char from scratch, and it's responsable for all creation steps. These kind of challenge is made for learning purposes, right?

EDIT: Those are just some initial ideas. If you have better ones, let me hear you.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    great idea, still busy with the bioware challenge though.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    We don't need a "civil war" as excuse to do something.

Just do something you really like, and you will learn more.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Blaizer wrote: »

Just do something you really like, and you will learn more.

Who is giving excuses here?
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I'll join for a hand painted CW if you need an extra person, but would need to be after xmas :)

EDIT: Although after seeing your skills JR I may have to scrub what I said XO
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    JR wrote: »
    Who is giving excuses here?

you didn't read me well :), the excuse is the "civil war". You don't need a "civil war" to do something.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    you didn't read me well :), the excuse is the "civil war". You don't need a "civil war" to do something.

No but it's fun.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    Fun! How about redesigning things?
  • Elijah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Boy-That-Escalated-Quickly-Anchorman.gif
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    EtotheRic wrote: »
    How about a war of the weird.

I had an idea for a theme:
    Modern day garbage pail kid.

This is probably the best topic idea I've ever heard. Magical.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    This is shaping up to be really fun. I agree that we need to keep this simple as relying on other people in a team (especially so close to holiday/vacation time) is a bad idea for a small comp. Other possible ideas-

• Create a character/sentient creature that belongs in the Final Fantasy universe. Make it represent a specific class (ie. Fighter, White mage, dragoon). Must be recognizable as that class. Can be a chibi style (like the rerelease of FFIV) or something more modern like FFXII.
    • Film Noir - Create a character that would be perfect for a noir story. Perhaps a washed up detective, cartoony mobster or lonely dame
    • Fabled Creature - create a creature of folklore or fable. What do you think a Brownie should look like? Or maybe the mythical Baba Yaga from Russian folklore.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    How about a horde of small Goblins? After watching The Hobbit I really want to make a single goblin that has a few quick variations to make the appearance of a horde. I was thinking of 3 heads and then a few gear options. I was already planning on doing this over the holiday break but it would be cool if others want to give it a go too.
    Regardless, good luck guys!

- BoBo
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Hum.. Goblins could be cool. But you think in take part, Bobo?

The Fables creature idea is good too. It includes the Goblin thing.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    That's a pretty cool idea BoBo. Kind of reminds me of what Skankerzero did for the Mutant League contest. something like "A horde of __________."
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    In case of doing a horde, we could keep the polycount real low... maybe 2 or 3k for char.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    How about making an overall polycount for the horde itself? Like 14K for everything. That way you can mix and match the items as you see fit and you don't go over for one specific minion.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Yeah, it should work better, I think. And you can specify how many chars or items you want to do within this budget.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ I'd say you start a thread in the contest section and create the brief Bobo and I am sure everyone will just start joining in fact I could almost guarantee It!

Know I would cause that's not a bad idea and seeing as I saw the movie twice I got a good idea of what to make.

Also agree with skylebones.

Yea JR I agree was just wishful thinking I guess, but wouldn't It be awesome.
    In all honest I am still wondering why the hell Polycount hasn't made any games themselves...& of course you would have to put the demo on Kick starter & besides the Company/Studio contracts preventing you all.(guess I answered my own question there.)
  • Elijah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bah, moving into modeling for sure. I haven't done low-poly for shit and I need to focus on my own craft, not meant to sound rude in any way.

Is it acceptable that team up with a char modeler type?

Also; What about utilitarian/NPC characters?

Smiths, Weapons masters, store keepers, old wise man living in a dumpster, etc..
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    So, as far as a brief goes, I was thinking something along these lines, maybe? This isn't official by any means, just my own idea. Weigh in with your input. If we went for the fable/fantasy idea we could do something along these lines

14K tris for total character count. This can be for one character, a horde of characters, or even one 'hero' character with a horde of minions. However you want to split it is fine as long as all characters and item sets fall into 14K tris.

2048 diffuse texture only. This can be split however you want as long as the total fits within 2048. You can create any number of maps to bake into the diffuse (spec, bent normal, normal, cavity, etc) but the end result for presentation is diffuse only. The goal is to have a model that looks hand painted. This can be cartoony or something more in tune with classical painting. Just diffuse only.

What do people think of that?
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    So, is everyone just traveling for the holidays or was my idea so bad it literally destroyed this thread?
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No wasn't bad, good actually and that's how I sort of took Bobo's comment.

To make it more interesting I guess just making a small army of various creatures, not just goblins, add Troll's, Orges, ect. or maybe just 1-3 characters within the budget.
    I wonder if the seal was just pulling our chain. :)

Someone get a brief up soon, if nothing happens I'll do something down the road for myself.

JR I guess these are the only people interested at the moment. :(
  • Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    I like the idea of modular characters or a horde of something, I've been meaning to make one myself. Right now I think a lot people are busy with the holidays, which is why it's probably best to plan this out now, get in contact with people who want to do it and start it when the new year starts.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    heh, I was just throwing out a theme suggestion. It's something I was going to do over the holidays so I thought it would be cool to see what others would do with the same concept.

It's JR's show. He's the one who threw down the gauntlet to the community :)

Looking forward to what comes of this.

- BoBo
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Hey Praetus, it wasn't a bad idea. I think it was a bad idea for me, post something like this in this time of year... I believe guys here are busy taking care of xmas and new year holidays. I think for a lot of Polycounters, this is one of few periods in the whole year to relax and enjoy family, or at least to do nothing. work related

So let's put this in hold for while. Next year, when life come back to the normal, we can discuss again.

Happy x-mas and a wonderful new year for all of you, mates.

PS: Bobo, I'm seeing we plan to start your concepts on holydays... so feel free to move on!
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    aww, oh well. I'll find something else to work on in the meantime, but keep me in mind for when you want to get this started. I'd be game for it.