Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand Painted: Legend Of Aang, Space Sword

SoulWind
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
SoulWind polycounter lvl 11
Hi!

This is my first time posting work to Polycount, and my first attempt at hand painted textures!

I figured a weapon with a few different materials to it would be a good starting point. Being a fan of Avatar and Legend Of Korra I figured something from either series would be fun.

Blog_Title_Pic.jpg

Reference

I gathered up my reference's including some of the original concepts and sketches of the blade, some shots of the show, and even some fanart.

Space_Sword_Ref_Moodboard1_Censored.jpg

Space_Sword_Ref_Moodboard2_Censored.jpg

I've tried to censor out any particularly spoilerific content, although some of you might just be too clever. Sorry if that's the case!

I even managed to find the martial arts consultant for the show, and after asking if I could see the original sword it was based on, he kindly obliged!

Forged-Folded-Han-Dynasty-Sword-Jian-TZ52371-.jpg

A big thanks to Sifu Kisu!

My own concept/sketch

This was my breakdown + redesign of the handle. It would go on to have further changes made to it.

HandleDesign.jpg

Modelling

Modelling using the concept as a Proportion Reference;
Unwrapped;
Finished Model With Additional Clip On Sheath.

Model_Montage_zps4236ad8e.jpg

Texturing

The Handle

At this early stage I wasn't really happy with anything. Especially not the golden guard at the top.

In the end I found that painting cord didn't work and a cloth wrap would be better. After a lot of repainting I made some progress.

After much updating I managed to get the right look. I refined the matrix of light fabric wrapping around the top and added shadows underneath them to make them seem more 3D.

Handle_Montage_zpsbc64461f.jpg

The Sheath Cap

I really wasn't certain how the sheath or the cap would turn out as all my thought had gone into the sword.

The wood came surprisingly easily, and raised the bar for everything else. I changed the design on the cap to something more relevant to the owner.

After getting the gold right on the sword I knew I would have to match it on the sheath cap. I may have over done it though.

Cap_Montage_zps4d9a6499.jpg

The Final Product

Early days, and the blade just doesn't seem right. It feels to flat and overly damaged.

Everything else is starting to come along nicely but in the back of my mind the blade is still bothering me.

After a lot of research I spend a good while trying to get a good base to add the damage and colour bounce to. This took some time, but eventually I got there.

Full_Montage_zps331f5d32.jpg

Presentation Shots

I made a case to present the sword in, as if it were perhaps resigned to a museum in post war glory.

Space_Sword_Case_Final_Horizontal.jpg

This was also a good opportunity to use up some left over UV space.

Space_Sword_Case_Final_Vertical.jpg

Space_Sword_Final_Vertical_zps75b0c2fc.jpg
High Res Version

Space_Sword_Sheathed_Final_Vertical_zps0f936f95.jpg
High Res Version

Lessons Learned:
I learnt so much from this, and whilst it took a lot longer than expected, it was worth the investment.
Hand painting is certainly something I'd do again, although in future I'd like to try the sculpting method.
There are many things that I can see that would improve this piece but there is a danger of being in an endless update cycle. Seeing a project through to completion was another important thing for me.
Credit:
A big thanks goes to all my friends who gave extremely useful input throughout the duration of this little project, (Jake, Pav, Geno, Shiv, Mira and anyone else I missed). Without their help I would not have got this far.:thumbup:

I'd love to hear your thoughts, any crits and suggestions I can take on-board for my next project! :):)

Useful Links:
The hand painted weapon tutorial on 3DMotive really helped get me started.
I studied the texture for Bogdanbl4's Barbarian Girl quite a bit to help me improve my own.
Finally, I looked at the work of SlipGate and FirstKeeper for inspiration and knowledge.

Replies