Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Pokemon Trainer Hilda

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
AdamE87 polycounter lvl 11
Hey everyone :D
This is officially my first serious attempt at creating a character, and one I have been working on over a long period of time.

The inspiration was this piece of artwork.
Hilda.png
I wanted to create a properly proportioned, somewhat realistic version of her, and here's the result -
8285927230_41f6bfbc01_b.jpg
8284737689_474c6f6458_b.jpg
8285723656_603d5d8c15_b.jpg

Now, it's pretty much at a finished state, and I have learnt quite a lot. I still consider myself a novice at zbrush, and texturing, and I know there is a certain lack of quality in the detail of the texturing.
The intention of this was to take my time and learn the processes, whilst hopefully having something to stick into my Character Art portfolio.
I would appreciate any comments or crits, especially around the face, because that is something I still plan on tweaking, and something that still strikes me as a bit off, and would love a bit of direction.

Cheers guys :)

Replies

• Joost
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    The character looks really nice, especially for a first!

some crits:

The anatomy and face look good, mouth and eyes need some work though.

As for the clothes/textures; The black is too flat, either bump up the spec or brighten it up in the diffuse.

The jeans seem a bit too saturated and noisy and it looks like there's some stretching.

The shirt has too much surface detail and it's missing the border at the collar and maybe some stitching at the bottom.

The shoes, hat and wristwatch look nice but again, the textures are too flat and lack detail.

Good job, hope I helped.
  • Vertrucio
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    Specifically on the mouth, just be aware that when most people smile, they only show the upper teeth. This is not always the case, some people just smile showing both teeth, but a lot of the times, showing upper and lower teeth is sometimes a sign of a fake smile.

On her original design, there's some weird, white things sticking off her short jeans. Perhaps you could indicate these as like, the pocket liners sticking out from under her now very short cut off jeans?
  • AdamE87
    Offline / Send Message
    komaokc wrote: »
    The character looks really nice, especially for a first!

some crits:

The anatomy and face look good, mouth and eyes need some work though.

As for the clothes/textures; The black is too flat, either bump up the spec or brighten it up in the diffuse.

The jeans seem a bit too saturated and noisy and it looks like there's some stretching.

The shirt has too much surface detail and it's missing the border at the collar and maybe some stitching at the bottom.

The shoes, hat and wristwatch look nice but again, the textures are too flat and lack detail.

Good job, hope I helped.

I did have a mess around with the specularity of the clothes, but I was quite conscious that I didn't want them to look too shiny. I'll probably brighten up the black just a tad and perhaps experiment more so the blacks don't get lost.

Could you be a bit more specific about the eyes and mouth please? :)

Vertrucio wrote: »
    Specifically on the mouth, just be aware that when most people smile, they only show the upper teeth. This is not always the case, some people just smile showing both teeth, but a lot of the times, showing upper and lower teeth is sometimes a sign of a fake smile.

On her original design, there's some weird, white things sticking off her short jeans. Perhaps you could indicate these as like, the pocket liners sticking out from under her now very short cut off jeans?

I decided to omit the pocket lining mainly because it couldn't get it to look like the ones in the art. I could just stick on normal ones and see how they look. Hopefully I've got space somewhere in my UVs

Thanks for the comments guys :D
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Clavicles don't work like that.
    Clavicles_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg

Her face, particularly the mouth, looks off. And her knees are very rough/old looking.
  • AdamE87
    Offline / Send Message
    Hm, thanks for pointing the clavicles out to me :)

I've mainly been tweaking her face, and trying to get a more natural look. It certainly sticks out more after not looking at it for a long while.

Here's a before after pic (or after/before in this case)
    8289427054_cd3f1d9f42_z.jpg
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    the smile on the left looks better yeah, still seems like you may need to paint some shadowing onto those teeth so that they feel like they are inside the dark of the mouth
  • minorthreat
    Offline / Send Message
    minorthreat polycounter lvl 7
    Looks incredibly realistic in my opinion. The teeth do really stand out though. In my opinion, the black should be greyer and the pink should be redder.
  • AdamE87
    Offline / Send Message
    Righto. I've done most of the changes suggested, most of them on the face.
    Unfortunately, and this was mainly due to my destructive way of working, a lot of the issues I had with textures I was unable to go back and make any major adjustments. (I polypainted most of it on zbrush, which attributed to some stretching on the jeans for instance). And I'll be away from home over christmas, so no more work :(

I do have another project lined up after Christmas, and I will definitely be posting up a step by step progress on Polycount, so I can sort out the major issues earlier on :)

Thanks for your help guys, it's really appreciated.
    Here's how she's come out -
    8295483562_0a0746a7a6_b.jpg