Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Final projects. Textured old tomb, and a high poly 4 legged mech.

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
So I just finished my two final projects for school and would love some critical feedback from you guys. Let me know the good, the bad, and what to keep in mind next time.

The Old Tomb
Based off a concept by my friend Kyle here http://kylesewnarain.blogspot.com/2012/10/ancient-bridge.html.
fmdkU.jpg
This is only my 4th texturing project I have done so in that regard I am happy, but I know I need a lot of work. I used Maya, zbrush, photoshop, and rendered in metal ray.

The Firewalker MBT-700 Mech.
Based off this concept QUrhO.jpg
My high poly mech.
M8mgQ.jpg
XkdUn.jpg
8Jy3F.jpg
W9o2r.jpg
OZeVe.jpg
This is by far the largest and most complicated thing I have modeled and I learned a lot. I am pretty happy with how it turned out even though I didn't get to fully detail every little thing I wanted. I used maya, photoshop, and rendered in metal ray.

Thanks for looking!

Replies

• ScottJoyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The scene looks good, have you got any unlit scenes?
    The mech is awesome, you should texture that thing! are you in your final year?
  • UrbanMaws
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Matt,

I honestly have seen this mech before..do you by any chance attend LCAD? I am only wondering because I am looking to attend there soon.

Now as for a critique...On the first project the mood from the lighting is in my opinion flawless because it gives this enchanting kinda feel for a coming adventurer so good job right there. now on the rocks and stuff I see some green speckles in the texture is that supposed to be moss? if it is maybe look more into how moss grows because it usually ends up being a blanket on the rock in a way. so giving it some attention in the normal or bump would help it. Now near the entrance of the cave I see a single little grouping of leaves and its the only leaves in the entire scene so it becomes distracting kinda my eyes just keep coming back to that. now bellow the bridge im guessing you placed a fill light to give off that bright blue tint so it isnt totally dark under there this fill light may be too strong since on the upper left area of the image its very dull now because the blue is overpowering it may come off as making the picture unbalanced.

Plz take my critique with a grain of salt I am in now way a professional others out there may have a better opinion than mine.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @scott I do not have any unlit renders, but I could take take one if you want me to. I would love to texture the mech, but it seems a little overwhelming to me at the moment. I am not sure how to go about it really. I actually just transitioned into my Jr year at school, so I have almost two more years left.

@Maws I go to a little school near San Jose called Cogswell Polytechnical. Its more geared towards film, but you can kind of adjust your projects to what you want. Thanks for the critique, I am not a fan of the foliage at all really. I have never done it before and it was a pain to get it to look decent when rendered in mental ray.
  • UrbanMaws
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Either way the project looks good everything I said was really just nit picking to help push it some more. and relax alot of 3d artists (that i know of) are afraid of foliage and its just hard to get organics to look really good. but you did a good job
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UrbanMaws wrote: »
    Either way the project looks good everything I said was really just nit picking to help push it some more. and relax alot of 3d artists (that i know of) are afraid of foliage and its just hard to get organics to look really good. but you did a good job

I appreciate that, thanks
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    hey man the tomb scene, i think it looks really interesting, but i think in the concept the rounded and slightly tighter entrance works better as the light emmiting source, you could make that area the focal point in terms of lightning better as it stands right now it seems theres a light emmiting to the side instead of the sligh dim fog under the bridge that gives a better "misticism" to the scene, basically what im saying is to try to portray what the concept is showing in terms of mood better :) Also try to have that scene in a game engine like UDK or Cryengine !

As for the mech i would try to tackle something less complex right now to get good grasps of solid subd modeling like guns etc , not saying you shouldnt model complicated stuff , but starting small is how i think its best to learn :) ( a gun for example ! )

Keep working and good luck :D
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey man the tomb scene, i think it looks really interesting, but i think in the concept the rounded and slightly tighter entrance works better as the light emmiting source, you could make that area the focal point in terms of lightning better as it stands right now it seems theres a light emmiting to the side instead of the sligh dim fog under the bridge that gives a better "misticism" to the scene, basically what im saying is to try to portray what the concept is showing in terms of mood better :) Also try to have that scene in a game engine like UDK or Cryengine !

As for the mech i would try to tackle something less complex right now to get good grasps of solid subd modeling like guns etc , not saying you shouldnt model complicated stuff , but starting small is how i think its best to learn :) ( a gun for example ! )

Keep working and good luck :D

Interesting point about the rounded entrance because I didn't really like it lol. I decided to keep all the forms blocky to match the way the bridge looked, but I can see what you mean. Now that I have my workflow figured out, and understand texturing a lot more I plan on putting all my future projects in UDK.

I feel like I have a decent grasp on sub-d modeling but over my winter break I plan on doing some small assets to push it further. I learned a ton from modeling that fucking thing, lol, so I am confident I can manage any hard surface object at this point.

Thanks for the feedback :D
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    I was actually modeling that same mech! It's really cool to see someone finish it, I didn't stick to the concept.

The only real thing I can say is maybe add a lot of small details and beat it up in Zbrush after?
    Looks great though!
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was actually modeling that same mech! It's really cool to see someone finish it, I didn't stick to the concept.

The only real thing I can say is maybe add a lot of small details and beat it up in Zbrush after?
    Looks great though!

If I end up texturing it I might do that, but as of right now I have no plans to do so. Thanks for checking it out.
  • hamzaaa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hamzaaa polycounter lvl 11
    That gate scene looks great! Very well done!
  • Kon Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kon Artist polycounter lvl 8
    The modeling looks really good. Here's some feedback:

Proportions, are a little off (main body).
    Overall scale, It feels toy like.
    Details, it looks like you nail the legs for the most part... but other areas lack the same attention (rail gun).
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kon Artist wrote: »
    The modeling looks really good. Here's some feedback:

Proportions, are a little off (main body).
    Overall scale, It feels toy like.
    Details, it looks like you nail the legs for the most part... but other areas lack the same attention (rail gun).

I agree with the lack of detail in some areas, unfortunately I ran out of time to get every little thing I wanted on there. What would you recommend doing for the scale issue besides putting a human in the scene? I tried to make sure some type of human sized scale was visible from almost all angles, like the fire extinguishers, gas tanks, entrance hatches, ect. I guess that itsn't clear enough though.
  • kdm3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the detail level is what could help sell scale. First the bolts seem a bit large for human scale. Second, you have a lot of larger forms, and medium forms, but no real small ones. Try adding panel lines that are not in the concept, or indents, etc. You shouldn't be able to look at it and see basic primitives. You can fix that by really exaggerating and pushing those small details...
  • Kon Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was looking for some images of the backhoes and drills that someone posted a week or so ago... If anyone knows what I'm talking about, please post them. They would be a great reference to look at.

Anyways, it's those small things that are missing. Push the concept into something that is functional. I'm not convinced this thing can move. Maybe start by putting some large wires through the joint of the legs.

The hatch area is a great place to sell the scale of this thing. However, this area seems to have the most problems. It appears the hatch goes to nowhere... I have no reason to think a person enters or exits from there.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Those 3 top stones of your door would fall right down.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kon Artist wrote: »
    I was looking for some images of the backhoes and drills that someone posted a week or so ago... If anyone knows what I'm talking about, please post them. They would be a great reference to look at.

Anyways, it's those small things that are missing. Push the concept into something that is functional. I'm not convinced this thing can move. Maybe start by putting some large wires through the joint of the legs.

The hatch area is a great place to sell the scale of this thing. However, this area seems to have the most problems. It appears the hatch goes to nowhere... I have no reason to think a person enters or exits from there.

Are you talking about the ones the Halo guy did? The yellow and orange machines?
  • Kon Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER wrote: »
    Are you talking about the ones the Halo guy did? The yellow and orange machines?

Yeah.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahh his website is down that is why I could not find them in pimping and previews. Here they are.
    icm02.jpg
    icm01.jpg