Home Technical Talk

Setting up a nice Shader (or: my maps vs shaders)

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
C86G greentooth
Ok, I think I need some help.
I can get my highpoly modeling done, my bakes work good with my lowpolys and somehow I manage to get some maps for it. But never get a nice realtime shot of my models! I use Xoliul´s shader and I understand how it works (at leats I think I do) but... you know, I just can´t get it nice!

I tried dDo and created some maps which look cool in it´s realtime previewer. I really lie how the iron parts turned out and the orange blade is also ok (forget the leather for now).
I wanted to get a similar result in Max + Xoliul. Of course, I used esacly the same maps. But the model looks completely different. I played with each option till I felt I won´t get where I want. I know, my lights in max won´t be placed nicely, but as I said, I tried several setups. And yes, the dDO preview has some post effects etc but there must be more that makes it look better.

Please have a look at the comparison (dDo preview and Xoliul Shader).
Do you have any idea how to get a similar (or a better?) result in Max? What might I be doing wrong?

c9u1wowv4eurb7maj.jpg

I reeeeeally appreciate any help since taking some neat shots really bothers me and I finally want to get satisfying images

Replies