Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Welcome to Rekall

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Shiv polycounter lvl 15
Latest -
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbrYRFWfUd0"]Welcome To Recall - YouTube[/ame]

Original post -
Finally able to put my head down and start my final year project at uni.
Creating the Rekall room from the 2012 film "Total Recall"
Here are some shots of the room from the trailer.
Trailer_RoomshotLow.jpg
Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4yJP3DiXQM&feature=player_detailpage#t=32s

and this is where the environment is at in Max
6.JPG
The max build was used to create the environment very quickly, it enabled me to throw in new assets and shape them at speed without worrying about constantly re-importing the scene.
It also creates an asset list of sorts from the object list. As everything in the scene is named it made it pretty easy to create.

Also started attempting to create some materials in UDK.
CandleUdk.JPG

I need to start putting items into UDK so they can be replaced as assets are created.
Aiming to get the look of the piece close to the look of the movie, some of my assets are placed in different locations atm, especially the pillar placement.
I am aiming to improve my material definition, shader use and lighting/post processing use.
Also aiming to reduce the amount of time wasting, been brought up on it a few times in the google hangout so thanks!

Thanks for looking :)

Replies

• cheese cake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can't wait to see more of this, if I could I would be hanging over your shoulder in labs like old times :(

You should post up the stuff you showed me recently with the shot from udk, especially with the extra work on the candle shader they were looking really nice :)

Good luck!
  • SoulWind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SoulWind polycounter lvl 11
    Its good to see you've got your layout set up. It should make for a smoother experience as you swap out placeholders for sexy finished pieces.
    I'm enjoying the SSSish glow on your candles, a lovely shader perhaps?

There's not really anything to crit at the moment, so I look forward to more!
  • PhoenixWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhoenixWolf polycounter lvl 9
    cant wait to see where this goes but im thinking to make the scene more compelling a lighting change will be needed further down the line.
  • dan.sonley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dan.sonley polycounter lvl 6
    hows it going shiv? last time i saw this was in the labs after climbing. looks good though man. looking forward to seeing more of this
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    I have been working on getting assets into udk and did my first test with emmissive lighting, I think they need a tweak in both colour and bloom so I can get the correct glow and green coming off them.

A lot of time has been spent setting up lightmaps for use in unreal and a few more assets are ready for texturing. Unfortunatly I got nothing done over christmas so now playing catchup (Lots of catch up)

I think next step to help fill the scene out would be the ceiling, then the lighting can start to be tested so that materials can be brought closer to a final look I am happy with.
    UdkShot1.JPG
    UdkShot2.JPG
    UdkShot3.JPG

Soulwind - sss is faked with a thickness map from xnormal, its mixed with a gradient from top to bottom in photoshop and has an animated flicker which is timed based on the vertex red channel. So I can just modify them in the scene and make a nice varied flickr later down the line.
    Thanks guys.
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    I have been working on creating the more repeated parts within the scene, pieces that have a large impact which I can improve and modify more easily to fix errors in my scene.

After the room is sealed and the preliminary lighting is setup I can begin to construct some of the larger more unique items that have a large effect on the scene and help to give it character.

Lazy few weeks tho, woo christmas :)

UdkShot4.JPG
    UdkShot5.JPG
    UdkShot6.JPG
  • danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danpaz3d polycounter lvl 7
    Looking good so far. Scale and framework is good. I think that the table in the corner was actually straight rather than on an angle. Also, don't forget big lens flares, the movie was full of them!
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks a lot, I have watched this 5 minute section of film a bajillion times now.
    For the table in the corner I am going off of this shot
    TableCorner.png
    (Hopefully thats the right table)
    Which shows it at an angle to the walls, to give the people behind it some space probably.

Ah yeah lens flares, everywhere! legitimate use for them wahahaha, will have to learn how to do them :)
    Thanks!
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    This week I have been working on Tweaks and fixes for the pieces of the scene already created, as well as starting on one of the more complex pieces in the scene, the dominating Buddha head in the corner. I felt it was a central part and deserves some time and attention so it has been started early so it can be brough up a long with the rest of the assets in the scene as parts are tweaked.

All textures have had their alpha channel removed and are now sitting at half the memory usage. All other single channel textures have been grouped together using seperate channels on rgb textures in an attempt to maximise efficiency.
    Specular has been re-enabled on everything, running the editor in dx11 with image based lighting on disables spec. As there are no image reflection actors within the scene this means they come off as dull.
    I have been shown the correct way of using gloss maps within UDK by Andy, now they all work and I can tweak them later down the line very quickly and easily if required. (yay)
    UdkShot10.PNG

Most textures levels have been sorted to get better results from compression and hopefully reduce value clipping.
    And I have worked on adding a couple more assets into the scene but the head has taken up most of the last couple of days.

UdkShot9.PNG
    Thanks!
  • desktoppirate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    desktoppirate polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome! I think this is really going to come together, you're much further ahead of most other people I've spoken to! I didnt realise we were alowed to post our stuff on forums, I think I'll start a thread.
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks dude :)I started a lot earlier I think, i don't see why we wouldn't be able to post stuff up for external critique.

Made slow progress on my environment this week, been catching up with concept art stuff. working on fixing up the head low poly for a better bake and also did a first pass on texturing it, really not happy with it. Will come back and give it some more love later.

UdkShot11.PNG
  • RaPtoR_v9600
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RaPtoR_v9600 polycounter lvl 4
    So far so good lightning will be tricky, great work and hope to see more soon
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks RaPtoR_v9600, yeah I think it will. Looks like there is a decent amount of fogging and such going on. Going to have to pick apart the scene when I get closer to the end I feel.

Wow, havent updated this in 3 weeks, so much for every sunday.
    Got a decent amount done, have been catching up on a couple of the other assignments at uni so not as much as I would like.
    UdkShot16.PNG
    Here is the standard shot, pieces are slowly coming together, going to be a whole mess of tweaks to do towards the end to get it closer to the movies look.

Here is a comparison image.. ish.. of my current progress towards that in this new section. Looks like there is a lot of tweaks. lanterns are the wrong size and such. I attempted to match the disks sheen at angles but it looks like I did not push it hard enough, wierd being less exagerated than real life :)
    UdkShot17.PNG

Wont get much done this week, I have started a high poly of the main chair in the piece, will hopefully have something to show of that.

Thanks for looking.
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Just wanted to update this thread before bed... was meant to be sleeping hours ago :x

Here is where my scene is at nowish, comments welcome :)
    Cam_4.PNG
  • mrturtlepaste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice to watch this one developing. Check out the gloss of the wood floor in your ref vs what you have in your scene. It would be great to see that wood floor shining a bit with some nice spec hits.

Here is a quick paintover suggesting the gloss.

Q9Os5rJ.jpg

Also, pay close attention to the razor-sharp cg edges you have in the scene. You can try using trim to smooth some of those edges, or maybe even bevel the geometry if you have to.
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks a lot man, I hadnt put the Image based reflections in yet so I spent some time after the crit getting them in so reflections are now in the scene, still not happy with the way the floor displays at the moment but thats going to get another round of tweaks in a bit, tommorow is my last day of building assets providing nothing goes completely wrong and I dont manage to race through the next bit (Woo holograms!)
    Also completely forgot about the bevelling, will look into it again, put it on my sticky notes to look through XD

Cam_6.PNG
    UdkShot25.PNG
    UdkShot24.PNG

So much to do, so little time, I feel like everything being made at this point is so messy and un-refined compared to the begginning, learnt tons from it tho.

The weekend is hologram season tho :D:D: D:D:D: D:D : D:
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Got distracted from other fixes by the hologram shader :x

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGPuLrlmVg4"]Hologram V3 - YouTube[/ame]

Need to get on with fixing floor/lighting... stuff...
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Showreel needed to be finished today ready for the uni show at the end of term, scary and exciting :)
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbrYRFWfUd0"]Welcome To Recall - YouTube[/ame]
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    I'm not an environmental artist by any means, but I think it came out fantastic! The animation of the hologram chair is really awesome.
  • jfeez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jfeez polycounter lvl 8
    Nice work man, that hologram shader is sick =)