Home General Discussion

Vinyl vs CD?

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys, for years I've obtained music through various digital means. However, now I think I might be interested in buying the hard copies of my favorite albums.

Vinyls have started making a comeback where I work, and for some reason I'm attracted to them. Might be because the album art the true size and so much bigger than on my iPhone (yes, I realize how stupid that sounds).

I've read about vinyls a bit, and it seems you get better quality because it's a direct analog signal. However, some people say there is no noticeable difference.

So I thought I'd ask Polycount. Do you have a record collection? With the convenience of digital music, do you ever even listen to your vinyls or CD's? (does the increase in sound quality justify the inconvenience, assuming you have a quality set of speakers?)

Replies

• almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    you'll only notice the difference in sound if your hi-fi system cost you in the region of £2000.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    I buy CD's, but always rip them or download them before they arrive. I pretty much never listen to them.
    I'd never even consider vinyl unless I was some hardcore DJ. Who even has space for all that stuff? Plus they break easily and wear out much quicker than CD's.
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    if you get into vinyl it'l be for the hobby of it, there's no practical reason nowadays.

That said, i've got a few things that havnt been re-issued in a digital format since they were put out 30+years ago, so theres that
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    hey! I never buy CDs, I only buy Vinyls. There is something about them that I absolutely love. It's a mixture of the huge sleeves, the ambient noises that come out of the speakers the second the needle drops. Holding a pristine record as if it's a jewel and carefully placing it on the player. It's an experience. Vinyl Records are also mastered a little bit differently than you would for digital means, so sometimes you hear and pick up on stuff you normally wouldn't. My favorite thing to do is open up my door to the outisde, put on a Minibosses Record, and read comic books on the couch. It just doesn't feel the same if you did it out of your computer speakers.
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    I'm no true Audiophile but really simply, there's a huge list of factors involved in what you're asking. The best advice though, I think, is to dive in, set a budget for yourself and see what floats your boat over time.
    Selaznog wrote: »
    I've read about vinyls a bit, and it seems you get better quality because it's a direct analog signal. However, some people say there is no noticeable difference.

Eh, this is really wrong, well half the story. The main factor here is how much money are you willing to throw at playing vinyl? You're going to need to spend a fair bit on a system (way more than Gir suggests) to get anywhere near the sound quality of a CD. Mostly people are talking about older recordings there and the warmth of sound that analogue recording could produce through tube amplifiers. Are you really into woodwind instruments? :)

Selaznog wrote: »
    So I thought I'd ask Polycount. Do you have a record collection? With the convenience of digital music, do you ever even listen to your vinyls or CD's? (does the increase in sound quality justify the inconvenience, assuming you have a quality set of speakers?)

My vinyl got thrown up in the loft/attic a long time ago. I spent around 800 pounds ($1288 ), some 10 years or so ago, on a Nad amplifier, Nad (HD)CD player, Sony floor standing speakers, (they're kind of rare and seemingly only marketed in Germany), and some decent heavy gauge wire. The speakers were `shop soiled` bringing their cost down a lot. It sounds way better than any vinyl or mp3 setup that I've ever heard for sure, for what I would listen to, which is pretty mixed.

Most audio shops will let you try out mix and matching amps and speakers, and that's really important to do, as no reviews can really advise you there. I tried out the Sony speakers against everything else they had, including $1600 B&O speakers, and the Sony's sounded the best, with the amp that I`d set on, for my tastes by a wide margin.

Good luck and enjoy!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vinyl degrades and wears down over time. It's an exercise in futility, the quality will always degrade its just a question of how well you can put off the inevitable. If you plan on trying to sell them at some point then you will want to collect and never listen...

The more you listen the worse it will get, the same is true for magnetic media like cassettes. Except cassette tape just decays. Also if you leave it out and dust lands on it, that will effect the quality also.

If they get too hot or too cold it can effect the quality.
    Too hot and the groves start to soften making it easier for the needle to smooth everything, that is if the heat doesn't smooth out the grooves on its own.
    Too cold and it shrinks causing the needle to be rougher in the grooves and wear a little faster.

I'm nostalgic for vinyl but I don't miss the headaches that went along when it was the only game in town.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I put out two 7" records with my band in the late 90's - it was awesome!
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    8-Tracks are where it's at! ;)

Honestly, I'll show my age hear, but I've had records, 8-tracks, cassettes, CDs, mp3 players, and my brother had the Sony DAT player. I loved moving into the digital world (CDs +). I've always had the cheap record players, and the scratching/popping always annoyed me too much to realize how much more I could hear in the music, so I was glad to get away from them.

But like Gir said, if you drop enough $$ on a system, a record can sound great. The thing with digital is, once you stop focusing on how much you can hear, it tends to break back down to the music. Personally, I get into the music so much that I don't notice anything missing, even though I know some of the tone is left out.

Physically, albums WERE always much cooler though. The artwork, the shine of the grooves in the vinyl, and pulling it out of that paper sleeve. For some reason I always loved that. A much better feeling than fighting to take tightly wrapped plastic off, then scraping at an invisible sticker/seal, and eventually popping open a plastic case, and bending the CD until it almost snaps, just to get it freed.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Ever since I got my iPhone, I only buy mp3's to listen to through iTunes. I don't see the point of buying a CD, my car plays mp3 discs and it will play from my iPhone. I do buy albums (actual LP's) for collectibility and the beauty of the product. Relapse puts out great collector vinyl.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I still feel the same about hard copies, as I do with games. I hate the idea of having my content tied to an internet connection. I know music is slightly different, with iTunes, but if for some crazy reason Apple ever started failing, and iTunes' servers were no longer available (or just had a bad hack), you'd lose access to everything you've paid for. Especially for movies, which you can't burn to a blank disc, like you can the music (which I don't think many people do).
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    CDs feel crappy to me (physically, not necessarily sound quality wise) and i always just listen to stuff straight off a hard drive. So when i like an artist ill buy their vinyl, it just feels like a cooler product for the money. Bigger sleeve, bigger prints, more inserts. I guess its kinda like dudes who buy deluxe editions of games to get the art book and box.
  • Paradan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a modern AAA game need a stack of records almost 6 feet high, not to mention that ever time you bump your desk you have t do the whole level over again.

stick with CDs, loosing album art sucked but nothings stopping bands from putting large cloth posters into the cd box and charging us an extra 10$ ( which wed pay for a cool poster.)
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know you're joking, but I use to load games using a cassette ;)
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I had a cool record player...bad to give it away when I moved. The thing was like 40 years old. The records didn't sound better as an "crisper" or whatever you expect from old vs new technology. They just sounded differently, but in a good way. The sound was never perfect and you would know it was played from a record and not a CD, but exactly that made it special to me. I regret giving it away though.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    No room to collect records and CD`s. I buy CD`s but rip them and eventually they go in the closet in case I have to rip them again. Not much of a music person anyways.
  • Paradan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman wrote: »
    I know you're joking, but I use to load games using a cassette ;)

lol same, temple of apshai took 30 mins to load
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    yes vinyl. do it.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I have a lot of vinyl and don't buy CDs anymore. I do it more for the collectorship rather than the audio quality; it's nice having a lot of special releases from artists you enjoy - for example I have a couple of really special LPs at home whose covers were hand painted by the artist, which I really appreciate.

Generally they only get played once or on special occassions. The first play is to record it as FLAC and save it digitally ;)
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What Ambershee said, except I don't rip my own records.

If there's no download-code included (often there is) I just torrent it, other people are bound to have a better recording setup than my shoddy record player.
    I just like owning a hardcopy, and prefer the bigger size of vinyl.
    It's not for any reasons related to quality (many of which are nonsense, being an audiophile comes with its fair share of dogmatic 'knowledge').
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    TeeJay wrote: »
    I agreed with you up up until this. I agree that vinyl doesn't sound 'better', just different.

This isn't actually true - in some cases, especially with older and lower budget recordings. There's a reason why practices changes when recording for a digital format and that's because the CD format demanded a significant reduction in background acoustics caused by the recording environment. Quite a few older recordings will suffer minor degradation in audio quality due to noise introduced at this stage that is audible on CD, but not on vinyl.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Teejay: I was referring to format fetishism specifically, and the farfetched reasons to support their preferred format.
    Ofcourse I agree that the equipment matters, that only stands to reason. But then there's the stereotype of the audiophile loudly lamenting the fact there are no vinyl rips of an album that was made entirely 'in-the-box' and only released digitally, because 'the vinyl would sound better'. Really? I suspect the way the artist made the music sounds best, rather than a copy specifically mastered to work on a format the artist didn't consider from the start.

One thing I'll say is this: because of the physical limitations, modern-day mixing and mastering practices (the so-called 'loudness war') haven't been abused as much on Vinyl. There are plenty of 'digital' releases that respect the dynamics of sound though.

Anyway, this is a minefield of a topic, and here's where I bow out. /exit stage left
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    TeeJay wrote: »
    Ah apologies for misunderstanding. I agree with everything you said there, it's hilarious seeing people raving about a vinyl release of their all-digital recording.

the 2 formates aren't really directly comparable, but i guess there is possibilities of there being a little more quality in vinyl even if the recording is digital, since cd's are only 16bit 44.1khz, while most studios i know, even just the ones around my city record at 24bit 88.2khz or better.

but in that case why not just offer the consumers that actually got good gear, the higher quality digital copies, really i would love to be able to by music in 24bit 88.2khz flac or wav.

Also there other problem is most people aren't even getting the best quality they can out of the current CD quality specs anyways, due to the gear there playing stuff back on, and even the ones that think they are still aren't, since all the time on the bus or while out around town, i will see people doing stupid things like listening to music on really nice AKG monitoring headphones, but have there music playing of there phone, which would introduce a huge amount of noise to the signal, and have a shit DAC and headphone amp.

EDIT:
    to end this, really just the option of more choice would be great, be it CD's, LP's or multiple different digital formates at different bit-depths and samples rates.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Holy smokes, thanks for all the reading, guys! I agree that it's probably just a collectors thing, and that it will only matter with a ridiculous sound system. I had no idea that they deteriorated over time, either. I think for me, I'll continue to just acquire digital music.