Home Unreal Engine

FBX Vs. ActorX

artstream
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
artstream polycounter lvl 11
So I'm working on a project (animated mech from Xenogears), and I'm using Link Constraints to pass control. When I tried to import this into Unreal, UDK wouldn't read the animations. I knew Link Constraints were accepted into Unreal (done it in the past with PSA/PSK) so I looked for an ActorX plugin.

I found an ActorX for Max2012+ (and Maya too!). Export .psk & .psa, and bam, it worked!

The guy said he got permission from Epic, so I hope it's okay? Here's a link to it if anyone was having the same issue with .fbx importing.
http://www.gildor.org/smf/index.php?topic=958.0

Replies

• m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Epic is no longer working on Actor X, and I suspect why you got the link constraints to work is that the respective Actor X plugins probably baked out animation to the bones when exporting whereas the intention of the fbx format is to move data between different autodesk apps.

That said, if Actor X is working fine for you, and you don't need to upgrade to newer versions of DCC apps in the near future, you might as well stick with what works.
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    Yea, agreed. I just wanted to post this for anyone else having that same issue.

So based on what you're saying, the FBX pipeline means I can't use Link Constraints? I had "Bake Animation" checked when I did my export, which is why it was strange that it wasn't working at all.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    the FBX 'bake animation' button never works right for me--I just manually bake it out before export with Edit>keys>bakeanimation. I just got to remember not to save the baked file after I've exported.

Maybe try that with your constraints?