Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Strange blue occlusion after light bake

after I bake lighting I have these strange violet shadows in my light maps. My enviroment color is a dark violet so that might me part of it, but these are very distinct.

704953_10152292048895247_1697596863_o.jpg

Replies

• Endfinity Jon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Endfinity Jon polycounter lvl 8
    In my experience, having a perfect bake without any artifacting is very difficult to achieve. You can sometimes cover it up with a trim piece or intersecting geometry, but in your case, your assets are out in the open.

A few things to do are to really try and maximize your second UV set to the best of your ability. The more resolution you get there, the better your lightmap, and the less of this you'll get. To my knowledge (correct me if I'm wrong) your lightmap UV's lose pixels when compressed allowing some of this bleeding to happen similar to a diffuse texture.

These areas may also be caused by the quality of your bake, and your lightmap resolution. If you're still working, I wouldn't go nuts, but when it's time to do a high-quality bake, try to up your resolution on maps and go with a production quality build.

Thirdly, this could just be a problem with your indirect/bounced lighting not filling in spaces all the way and your environment color naturally taking over. You might want to add an additional bounce in hopes that your scene will get filled out more and the environment color won't try to handle all of the darks. You could also slightly increase the value of the environment color so it isn't such a stark difference when fading into darks.

One additional crazy thing you could try is to use the now obsolete skylight. This will make sure your entire scene is receiving some amount of light, think of it as your environment color - you'd use it to set the darkest point in your scene. The most important thing with this is to keep it at a low value so it doesn't wash out your scene. Make sure it and your environment color are playing well together or else you'll end up with a very flat image. Contrast is key here, so don't go overboard.

Maybe that will help. Anyone that bakes lighting can vouch for the crazy artifacting you see. Good luck, hopefully some of that was helpful...?

-Jon
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    do you have the bsp checkerboard applying to anything? Lightmass bounces that colour all over the place!
  • solarSailor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan wrote: »
    do you have the bsp checkerboard applying to anything? Lightmass bounces that colour all over the place!

nope, everything has a texture applied im just showing the lighting is all
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    To me it looks like you have the scene selected, which gives a blue ting to everything, have no idea if that's the case though, hope not :P