Home Technical Talk

Zbrush. Applying noise blows up my mesh and ruins it.

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
I selected a noise maker from light box, used the curve to get the look I wanted, and hit apply. As you can see its all fucked up. I have no idea what is happening, and couldn't find anything online, but does anybody know a solution?

weirdz.jpg
weirdz2t.jpg

Basic info. I am using 4R4, I exported the mesh from maya with UVs into zbrush, it has about 400k polys, and have done nothing out of the ordinary.

Replies

• BARDLER
    Offline / Send Message
    The regular noise works fine, only the lightbox noise does this weird stuff. I tried on a different mesh and it did the same thing.
  • MisterSande
    Offline / Send Message
    MisterSande polycounter lvl 8
    yes, this is sadly very common :/ The only way the lightbox noise works is when you apply it at a minimum percentage (extremely low) but I wouldn't recommend it. What I usually do is to use the "mask by noise" function and than use the standard brush with spray option (focal settings to -60) and than spray out the noise you want.

Let us hope Pixologic will fix this problem in future updates.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Try this :

Store a morph target at your lowest subdivision level. Go up to the highest subD level then apply the noise. Go back down to the lowest level, then hit "switch" in the morph target rollout. That should restore the mesh to its original size without the bloating, but preserve (most of) the high frequency detail.
  • Pola
    Offline / Send Message
    Pola polycounter lvl 6
    CheeseOnToast, I've had that exact problem before and given up on surface noise, your tip works awesomely! Thank you so much!!
  • fr0gg1e
    Offline / Send Message
    fr0gg1e polycounter lvl 17
    Mask by noise and inflate (in deformation tab) works pretty well too if you don't have any lower subdiv (in case you're using dynamesh for example, or you forgot to store a MT).
  • Pola
    Offline / Send Message
    Pola polycounter lvl 6
    Actually found out it's super reliant on a low density I think? I tried it out on the default bust tool. Worked great but if I deleted the lower subdivs then added one and tried the trick the detail was barely added on.
  • Pola
    Offline / Send Message
    Pola polycounter lvl 6
    fr0gg1e, cheers for that alternative, that works great too! Wish I knew about these solutions few months back.
  • BARDLER
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey cheese thanks for the info. That worked pretty well.
  • Rhythem02
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhythem02 polycounter lvl 5
    Hahaha, one of those moment, I know that technique!!!!
  • Tayrocker92
    Offline / Send Message
    Tayrocker92 polycounter lvl 11
    I do the same but the result is very nasty, what should i do?
  • SlyRipper
    Offline / Send Message
    SlyRipper polycounter lvl 6
    I usually try to keep the noise curve in the middle of the frame or on the upper side, that way the "blobby" effect gets reduced a lot. You can still use the same curve, but might increase strength to get same effects. You can then clean some errors on corners, etc. with Morph Targets :)
  • lekseus
    I can not start a new tread, so let me ask a question over here.
    Is it possible to bake Zbrush material into texture map? I've seen this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_270326&feature=iv&src_vid=aJj4sLtp9tA&v=tkn6qwQi578, but its not about my issue.
    I have model with UVs. Having Started texturing I applied a material, them tweaked. When I bake this polypaint to texture (I prefer xNormal) only tweaked things are visible, material is invisible.
    Hence, is it possible to do this or I have to paint material by all means?
  • sogun
    Offline / Send Message
    sogun polycounter lvl 17
    BARDLER wrote: »
    The regular noise works fine, only the lightbox noise does this weird stuff. I tried on a different mesh and it did the same thing.

This the best solution, because if a mesh has nice curvy lines & surfaces I don't want to break their continuity, only on surfaces away from the sides.

Also Spray sculpting the mask with FormSoft brush allows varied intensity along the model, which a simple Apply to Surface would not be able to achieve even if the noise function would work properly.
  • wukuku
    Hi people, long time without answers on this threat,

i just ran into the same problem, and i tried to scale my mesh a lot (either with E or the deformation tab) reduces that "blob" effect until gone !!

But the problem is, the mash scales, but not the noise, and as i already had a noise size of 512, i could not scale it more :/ Is there a way to overpass a scale of 512?

Thanks you :)
  • cnever
    Offline / Send Message
    cnever polycounter lvl 2
    Hi All

I ran into this issue and for me the best solution is to make sure the curve (within the noise maker) is set to zero (or mid) so it only pushes out the actual noise part. the same concept if you think of displacement maps, you need to specify mid 0.5 in some renders so I assume this is what pixologic's thinking was.

The ballooning is next to nothing then!