Home Technical Talk

How do i create tileable hand painted textures?

Patrikwindahl
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Patrikwindahl polycounter lvl 9
Hello!

I have recently started creating hand painted textures, following 3D-motive's tutorial. I find it really fun and would really like to move on by creating tileable textures. I have watched the tutorial where you learn to create a grass texture, but i dont believe i can use that workflow when creating a texture similar to this wYH9T.jpg

The grass texture tutorial http://vimeo.com/38844355

How should i approach this kind of texture?

Replies

• Adij
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adij polycounter lvl 8
    First draw simple/basic spaces between rocks and make them tillable and after this proceed with detail's
  • Patrikwindahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adij wrote: »
    First draw simple/basic spaces between rocks and make them tillable and after this proceed with detail's

The part when making them tilable, i dont know how to do that.
  • Adij
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adij polycounter lvl 8
    in PS: go to filter => other => offset, play with it to value when u will see seems and then just fix it via drawing. No automagic for this.
  • Patrikwindahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adij wrote: »
    in PS: go to filter => other => offset, play with it to value when u will see seems and then just fix it via drawing. No automagic for this.

Thanks man! :)
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    This:filter => other => offset if your image is 512x512 you have to set up the offset to be 256x256.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    there are a few ways of doing it. you can start with a larger texture and have and are in the center be the size of the final texture. then bring in parts of the texture into separate layers. then blend those layers together. you can use a layer mask or eraser to get rid of seams and stuff like that. change the flow setting to something low. I also put things in the middle then run the offset so the empty stuff on the sides go to the center. then you can paint or put your texture source then and continue working..

offset settings I use if it's a 512x512 for example
    256 x 256, 0 x 256, 256 x 0... that lets me work on all the corners... You can mix and match this.