Home Technical Talk

xNormal strange bake.

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Mr Significant polycounter lvl 11
Hi all. First of all, sorry for my english :poly136:

When I import HP mesh and LP mesh into xNormal, select normal map i bake options, I get something like this:

nrmkamien_xnaaehn.jpg

Is this correctly baked normal map? Around my UV is some "artifacts" or something like this. This is some error?

And next question: If I have 512x512 UV Map for textures, can I make 1024x1024 normal map, and then scale it down to 512x512? Is that technique properly?

I made this stone block from Eat3D free tutorial, but i dont used model from the author. I made my own model, with a lot less geometry, and its look like that:

prezentac_xnaaenr.jpg

And this is, how it's looks on the LP model, rendered in 3D Max and menthal ray:

prezentac_xnaaeea.jpg

I know, i know, but UE3 dont want to run on my "wooden" PC :) Only Unity can be runned on my PC, but Unity does strange thing with normal maps: add a lot of noise to the normal maps. I dont know why...

If you have 5 minutes, try to answer. And if you want, please judge my work.

Damian.

Replies

• Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    with a lot less geometry
    You should break your smoothing groups at all uv borders it will solve most of the problems.
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples, I mean i have only 2000 poligons, and author of the tutorial had 4 mln poligons.

I dont know how to break smoothing groups in UV.
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Watch this to understand smoothing groups
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Iswm1xKtGs"]3D Studio's Max Smoothing Groups Tutorial - YouTube[/ame]

You want hard edges that your smoothing groups creates to match with your UV borders, there are tools to do this automatically but I wouldn't rely on them, TurboTools has a feature in it for this, I think its called "smooth by uv shell"

And read this thread by Earthquake, some effort went into making it and it has some useful information
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107196
  • walkonsky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    walkonsky polycounter lvl 11
    i dont think smoothing groups is the main issue here.
    first of all: your low-poly model with applied normal map doesn't look too bad! so there is no real bad issue as far as one can see from your renders.

the "artifacts" around your normal map probably result from edge padding. this is helpful (for mipmapping i believe). so you probably don't have to worry about that. to be sure, post some images of your normal map with the uvs as an overlay.

what looks strange to me is the top right part of your normal map. those gradients seem pretty extreme to me. which parts of the model did you unwrap there? how does the render of those parts look like?

concerning downscaling of normal maps: it is possible in general and has some advantages, but you also have to remember one important thing:
    scaling normal maps down is faster than baking them with antialiasing in xnormal and does basically the same thing. you would probably even find people to say that scaling down even looks better.
    but, you have to run a normalization filter on your downscaled normal map before use. use the nvidia normal map plugin for photoshop with the normalize only option for example.

(and on a side note: you can't possibly unwrap a model to a UV map of a certain size. unwrapping always stores UV-vertex position relative to the image borders with no regard of the final image size. although, some modelling programs, e.g. blender, suggest that you actually unwrap to a certain size by making you select an actual image before unwrapping.)
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    walkonsky You didn't notice the incorrect lighting or the really bad normal map gradients on the top and bottom of the mesh, these are caused by normals being bent wayyy to far and can be solved by...using smoothing groups. (or more geo, but it's better that he learns how to use smoothing groups now)
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, I made render for top of my stone block:

nrmkamien_xnqprqr.jpg

I don't model that " two things" in ZBrush.

This is normal map without UV overlay:

nrmkamien_xnqpxxq.jpg

And with UV overlay:

nrmkamien_xnqpxnr.jpg

Scruples I know that wideo, and I know something about smoothing groups, but i don't know exactly, what are you talking about. But ok.

walkonsky thanks for positive opinion about my model. And i see it, nut when I'll making the prezentation of my model, for presentation on forum or something,and when I show this with "THAT" artifacts, people would say: hey what's wrong is with it.

Any practical proposition, to what to do with that?
  • walkonsky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes scruples, you are right. i didn't notice the incorrect lighting. being the hobbyist that i am ;), i am not sure that i understand what you mean when you say "really bad normal map gradients on the top and bottom of the mesh" though. are you talking about the gradients in the normal map or something to see on the mesh in renders?
    I am aware of the fact that you should have hard edges on your UV seams. However, I dont really see a solution that doesnt introduce new problems for the type of mesh we see here. if you make the edges around the top of the mesh hard edges, wouldn't you get baking "errors" just like seen in this thread: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110549?
    is there an easy way to avoid that?

@grafikPL: yes the overlay is exactly as i expected. when i understand correctly what you have written, you expect negative comments on the look of your normal map when you present your texture sheets with this type of "artifacts"?
    They may be a little to big (set the edge padding value to a lower value in xnormal), but from my point of view they are not a problem per se. but lets see what more experienced people than me have to say about that.
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am just a hobbyist too, but for 6 years now.
    Ray misses or overlaps caused by hard-edges are avoided by using a cage. Normally a baker uses the meshes normals to project the rays, so breaks in normals would result in breaks in the rays.

Heres a nice picture, also courtesy of Earthquake, you can see the cage in mesh B has gaps/holes, this is the default when you bake without a cage.

cagegap.jpg
  • walkonsky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    am i understanding this right?
    you harden edges in your mesh along the UV seams, but you use a cage as seen in A to have rays being cast without "gaps"?

Or do you have to have gaps in the cage where you have hard edges in your low-poly mesh?

sorry @grafikPL for hijacking, but this might even help you, too... ;)
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    walkonsky wrote: »
    am i understanding this right?
    you harden edges in your mesh along the UV seams, but you use a cage as seen in A to have rays being cast without "gaps"?

Correct, oh and be aware that this may introduce some distortion because the rays may not be getting cast directly away from the surface (theres always distortion but this may cause more in exchange for no gaps). Oh and distortion is also magnified by the distance the high-poly is from the low-poly
  • walkonsky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh yeah. maybe that is the missing link for my understanding of those threads by earthquake about correctly baking normal maps... thanks alot.
    only too bad that i dont have time at the moment to experiment with that stuff myself!
    thats the crux of being a hobbyist, i guess... ;)

concerning your edits: yes, i understand that. I didn't think of that, but i see how that has to happen when the rays are cast.
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yay, gentelmens, i decrese "Edge Padding" in xNormal, and i dont have, so big artifacts, around the edge on my normal map.

But the problem about strange, big dots on top and bottom of the model is still existing.

Thats how it look in ZBrush (top of the model):

1JPG_xnqxsqp.JPG

And tgat's hhow normal map looks after decreasing "Edge Padding" :

nrmkamien_xnqxahq.jpg

It's not a huge problem for now.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edge padding is necessary, and its not a "bad artifact", you can also never have too much edge padding.

Edge padding stretches the border colors of the map past the uv layout(so it won't show up on your model) so that when your texture mip maps down to a smaller resolution, it doesn't blend into the background. This prevents seams from showing up when your model is using lower mips in game.

So crank that edge padding up, its a good thing.
  • walkonsky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    try to look for some information on edge padding (in the polycount wiki for example). depending on the engine and the application of the model, this amount of edge padding is probably not enough.
    also try to read up on some of the things that scruples and i have talked about in the last postings. hard edges on UV seams and using a cage for normal baking are the most important ones, i think. the wiki and earthquakes threads might be a good help here.
    those "dots" are really severe artifacts that you should get rid of before continuing with the model.

P.S.: i cant see a zbrush render of the top of the model. furthermore, a render of the lowpoly with applied normal map would be much more helpful.
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So that LP model with normal map apply:

errorjpg_xnqssah.jpg

For now I'll texture it, and make a new model, maybe stone tiles, try to sculpt that in ZBrush, and make a new normal map. Hope that work.

Don't close this thread, maybe if I have some problems in nearly future, I'll post something here :D

Thanks for help guys :D
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi. I have another baking problem. Again in xNormal.

Here's what I've sculpted:

1ajpg_xsseerw.jpg

Here's the UV:

mesh000co_xsseexq.jpg

And here's my problem:

1normalsJ_xsseenn.JPG

I don't change any settings in xNormal before baking. Any suggestions? It can be a low spec hardware? (cause I have very low spec PC). If you need any screens from settings, just tell, I'll post some.

Sorry for english.
  • walkonsky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    make sure that your low-poly actually uses the uvs you have posted. it looks as if they were rotated and scaled way up.
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And problem solved. I unwrap again my LP model, and export that. It work's. Now time for rest to bake all maps, and then go to make textures.
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, another problem with xNormal:

heres some pics of what I've worked:

1JPG_xanaqnh.JPG 2JPG_xanaqep.JPG 3JPG_xanaqwx.JPG 4JPG_xanaqqs.JPG 5JPG_xanqphx.JPG

And that's what xN baked:

qwenormal_xanqpwx.JPG

What I missed? And that problem I got when I baking any model from HP. Can I bake something like that? This orange model is 1 mesh btw.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    It looks like you don't actually have a high poly. Technically your low poly cant see you high poly because it doesn't have any tapper or soft edges. It looks like you have a normal 6 sided cube, and the low poly can't see the side faces.
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, BARDLER, thanks, I know how to solve the problem.