Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Sci-Fi City [WIP]

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
vemadesign polycounter lvl 12
*FINISHED*

Hi everyone,

I have finally finished this environment piece and i am pretty pleased at how it turned out. Thanks to everyone for their input, it helped a lot. I learned a few new things in UDK and have posted some in my tutorials page, for those interested, on my website (www.poligonz.com) I'm posting a few final images here but i have a lot more screenshots, wireframes, high poly renders, etc on my site so feel free to check it out. Now it's time to move on to something else. :)

FInal screens:

scificityfinal01.jpg

scificityfinal02.jpg

scificityfinal05.jpg

scificityfinal03.jpg

scificityfinal08.jpg

*OLD (WIP)*

Hi fellow polycounters,

After about 3 weeks of working on this personal project i decided to make a WIP thread here for some comments and critique.
So far i made a few static meshes (blocked out streets) and materials (normal maps and specular maps only) with some subtle cube reflections on them. So far im happy with the layout and how the center piece is coming out. Played around with terrain and kind of blocked out some materials and grass (ore to be done). One thing i cannot decide is the color scheme for the buildings. I included a crappy paint over for how im going to add detail to buildings to break up some of the repetitiveness. Here are a few screenshots and critique is welcome. Thanks! :)

WIP:

SciFi_City_WIP_04.jpg

SciFi_City_WIP_03.jpg

SciFi_City_WIP_02.jpg

Pintover:

SciFi_City_WIP_04_paintover.jpg

Replies

• Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Looking really cool so far. Not sure if the grass is placeholder but it would seem to me this area has lots of human traffic through it, so would small clumps of tall grass exist or would they be trodden on and flattened?
  • Enexus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enexus polycounter lvl 11
    Would Be really nice to see some close up shots of the individual sections, Cant really see a lot of the detail that is in there from the distance of the screens. Looking awesome though as a whole, Keep it up.
  • Daft.Eng
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks really nice.
    I have to say, I love the normals and specs you have already, I think it would be worthwhile playing off the white look you have at the moment, maybe adding some blues. I've seen quite a few scenes similar to this using warm colours, so to really make yours pop from the crowd I think it would be cool to see one focusing on cooler colours.
    Good luck and I'll certainly be following your progress!
  • InvertedVantage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    InvertedVantage polygon
    Looks cool! It reminds me more of an industrial area than a city that people live in, unless it was very low-income. All the exposed machinery and whatnot gives it that feel; there's not a whole lot of doors and stoops, or play areas for children.

Color wise, I could see it going a couple different ways; I like the white, so maybe white with splashes of graphic color that's very bright and vibrant - or it could even be brightly multicolored, with yellows, blues, whites, and reds all showing off the individuality of each home.
  • vemadesign
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, thanks for the warm comments!

@Bek: grass is a placeholder for now, and you raise a valid point. But, i still wanted to bring in some "life" into it i guess. I'll play around with the grass some more.

@Enexus: i will post some high poly to low poly bake downs so you can see the detailes. :)

@Daft.eng: Thanks! Yea, i want to keep it as clean as posibble but still bring in detail trough a diffuse. Cool colors with maybe some red/orange lights? could be interesting.

@InvertedVantage: Thank you! Yea that was the feel i was going for. place where people live in the same building they work in, so it has that unwelcoming feel. I'm keeping the narrow piece of building white probably.

@Chillydog12345: Thank you!

Thanks for the feedback and i will be posting more shortly!
  • vemadesign
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is one of the high poly pieces for the buildings kit. I'll post a few more once i have more time. High poly damage is done in Mudbox.

HP:

HiPoly_damaged_mudbox_01.jpg
  • vemadesign
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, finally got some updates:

I started texturing and playing with some colors and materials and I updated a cube map. Im not sure how i feel about the orange so i might post a version with cool colors. I made wires hanging off of the buildings (placeholders for now) just to see how it looks, the plan is to make even more wires. Eventually i will make more props like crates, pieces that i can stick on buildings, background buildings etc.

Also, i ran into a problem. My emissive is not showing after lighting has been built. I set a static mesh to be emissive, made sure i have a map pluged into emissive in a material but its not working. I did it before and i am doing the same steps now but with no results. Any thoughts?

Tell me what you think. Thanks!

scificitywipw203.jpg

scificitywipw202.jpg

scificitywipw201.jpg

scificitywipw204.jpg
  • vemadesign
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys,

Here is another update:

-I cleaned up some textures, normal maps, and some seams. Finally got the emissive to work.
    -I started removing all the orange colors except in a few places. Rearranged the building a little more to make the space feel larger.
    -my next step is to finalize the layout, colors, and cleaning up what i have then on to the props like ladders, clothing lines, crates, hologram signs etc.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

scificitywipw404.jpg

scificitywipw403.jpg

scificitywipw402.jpg

scificitywipw401.jpg

P.S. Does anybody know of any dust blowing in the wind particle tutorials? I searched the web with no results.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    I feel like you might want to reign in the street size so you have less space to fill with things like cars and various street props. (shakes fist @ cholden)

While were on the subject- what do you plan on doing there? Maybe some parked vehicles?
    It also might be a good idea to make some larger skybox buildings that add to your verticality.

Also a tad more variety in your modules would go a long way. Its starting to feel a tad cookie cutter.

Nice work so far man!
  • vemadesign
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks konstruct! i think i might shrink the streets a bit. So the plan is to make it feel like its a lived in city. i'm making modular shop pieces so that will break up the cookie cutter feel a bit, i hope. Yea, some cars, there are two open spaces right now, one for a small park and the other for a sort of a fountain. i placed a few buildings in a background for now, but, yea more will be better to sell that is a big city.
  • vemadesign
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is another update:

City is getting smaller and smaller...lol...i think ill just stick to the a city block or a small area with a point of interest (obelisk in this case).

I added one more section to break up the repetitiveness of the walls and been playing around with lighting. I'm making a bunch of props that will fill out some of that space in between buildings. Also i will be adding some neon signs and a shop or two.

Tell me how it looks so far, i'm hoping for some feedback. Maybe i'm missing something staring at it for so long. :)

Screenshots:

scificitywipw505.jpg

scificitywipw504.jpg

scificitywipw503.jpg

scificitywipw502.jpg

scificitywipw501.jpg
  • rambooze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rambooze polycounter lvl 7
    When I'm looking at these pictures I have controversial feelings. The name of the thread is Sci-Fi city but I see a Diesel punk plant. First of all you have a mix of two(at least) different styles. Your doors for example look more like a pure sci-fi from Doom 3 or Halo but on the other hand you have kinda antennas and pipes from Diesel/Steam punk. Second issue - a ground. Looks like people that built this city have advanced technologies but they still can't make an asphalt cover. It definitely are going to help to convey a city filing.

You've already put a lot of work here and it looks good it only needs just a little refinement. Add more city associated stuff like billboards, garbage bins, bus stops ect. People in future still have the same needs. Keep up the good work :)
  • vemadesign
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, rabooze. Thanks for the critique. I totally agree with you, i strayed away from what i initially imagined. Shoud've named it Industrial city or something like that. Ground will be asphalt or some sort of sci fi (i'm using this term loosely) ground. I made that pipe as a test to see how it fits and forgot about it (i removed it). I'm making props but i wanted the buildings to feel right first, i guess. Next update should have props.

Hopefully more people chime in on this. Critiques like this help a lot to me since this is the biggest personal project I've done so far. It's a huge learning experience for me and i hope other people get something out of this, too. :)

P.S. Rambooze, your fallout tribute looks phenomenal! :)
  • vemadesign
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, here is another update. well, i have to say the city has grown once more...lol...and thanks to everyones feedback so far i feel like its going in the direction that i imagined initially.

Changes:

-i removed "ground" ground and replaced it with asphalt/road ground.
    -i started adding neon signs and a prop here and there (mostly placeholders)
    -added a "building section which i used to create residential buildings feel. it might be too repetitive right now so ill add another section to break it up.

Plan moving forward:

-cleaning up textures, models, lighting, floating meshes, seams, etc.
    -Adding a 4 small fountains and a tree (maybe) in the center
    -adding more props (clothing lines, cars?, second set of street lamps, more neon signs, etc).
    -more wires hanging
    -a tunnel (maybe)

Eventually, ill post some high poly pieces, low poly UDK renders, etc.

So, any comments and critique is very welcome!

scificitywipw606.jpg

scificitywipw603.jpg

scificitywipw602.jpg

scificitywipw601.jpg

scificitywipw605.jpg

scificitywipw604.jpg
  • vemadesign
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are a few high poly wall models and their counterparts rendered in UDK:

wall 1:

wallhp01.jpg

walludk01.jpg

wall 2:

wallhp02.jpg

walludk02.jpg

Wall 3:

wallhp04.jpg

walludk04.jpg

Wall 4:

wallhp05.jpg

walludk05.jpg

Wall 5:

wallhp03.jpg

walludk03.jpg

Wall 6:

wallhp06.jpg

walludk06.jpg
  • vemadesign
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    None of the textures (diffuse, spec, and Normal) are final. Eventually, as a final pass, i'll go in and clean up and add more to them. :)
  • dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
    This is gorgeous dude! keep going!
  • Ignacio_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ignacio_G polycounter lvl 7
    Oh man this is coming along great! Would you mind sharing your progress on your highpoly stuff? Are you using ndo2? Because you are getting some great bakes!

Also, Personally I'd go punch up the lighting on the signs to accent the lighting and make it more dramatic.
  • Rageleet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rageleet polycounter lvl 6
    have to say love the environment, i was wondering if you could post some wires and textures and also talk about some of your workflow :D as im working on something similar and im finding that construction of the city is taking a while. great work (y)
  • Guilherme_rambelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guilherme_rambelli polycounter lvl 5
    Congratulations man, You got a great job, did you finish already?
    Looks really good, very nice!
    Could you tell us how many poly do you have for the last few pieces that you post?
    I'm looking to bring a environment that I'm doing in Maya to UDK later, but I'm not sure about how many poly it must have for each static mesh, thank you!
  • rambooze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rambooze polycounter lvl 7
    You are on the right way. Now it feels more like a city. Good job!
  • vemadesign
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @dpaynter26: thanks!

@Ignacio_G: Thanks! My high poly workflow is pretty standard. I modeled everything in 3ds max max and did bakes in 3ds max, too. I do plan on using nDo2, and maybe dDo whn it comes out, but for not i'm sticking to old fashioned poly modeling. Also, as you can notice, i have a some floating geo in my high poly. I made a few small pieces that i can copy around my high poly to get some more detail. I hope that helps! Lighting is still in early stages, but, i agree pushing it more will add some contrast.

@Rageleet: Thanks! i will post some wires as soon as i get the chance. I made everything modular. I also pre plan alot like gatering reference (i was looking at Tokyo for neon signs for example), sketching (not so good at it...lol), whitebox in max, measuring, etc. What i'm learning from this so far is: start with few pieces that are modular like my first post. i built a "city" from 5 pieces and then started adding on to it to break up repetitiveness. Yea, this is a challenge but i'm taking my time with it. :)

@Guilherme_rambelli: Thanks, man! It is not done yet, i'd say i'm about half way done. Still a lot more to do. I try to keep all the big pieces under 5000 triangles. I think there's only one that's about 4000, the rest are 3000 and below. I think the last one is about 300 triangles. I'd say keep it low but try to have enough triangles so you can preserve your high poly bake.

@rabooze: Thanks a lot, man!
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    This is looking great! I love the contrast in the panels with the orange assets and the blue lights. I'm liking the new lighting too, but I think something a little darker, or perhaps if the colors are closer to the beginning of sunset, all of those lights would look even better. Nice panels too!
  • vemadesign
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @leleuxart: Thanks! yea, i'm still playing around with colors and orange/blue/gray scheme kind of feels right. Initially the mood of the scene was to be right after the rain, but i'm still deciding what the final look will be.

P.S. I think I asked this before, but does anyone know how to blur cube maps in UDK?
  • fragfest2012
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh my god, this is so good. There is envy oozing out of my eyes atm...
  • ZombieWells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZombieWells polycounter lvl 12
    So I went a head and did a quick 10 min paint over of one of your models. there should be a better break up in color values, more framing on the focal point of the piece, and a more logical/composed grime pass. Anyhow, I hope this helps, Keep up the hard work!

Help01a.jpg
  • vemadesign
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @fragfest2012: I'm flattered. :) Thanks!

@ZombieWells: wow! Thanks for the paintover, it looks great. I'm in the process of texturing another pass on all models and this helps so much! Are you using a custom brush in photoshop for the rust part because it look great? I'll do this particular piece in a similar fashion and will post it this weekend.

I greatly appreciate everybodies input so far! :)
  • vemadesign
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *bump (updated with final images)
  • RaPtoR_v9600
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RaPtoR_v9600 polycounter lvl 4
    Looking great i love the assets they are very detailed, great job bud
  • gartht3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Excellent high poly work on the panels. I think they're designed well and are not tacky like many others. A nice 'old school' style. Good stuff.
  • vemadesign
    Options
    Offline / Send Message