Home Technical Talk

Should you ALWAYS make the High Poly

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Scizz polycounter lvl 11
Is it just best to ALWAYS make a high poly model, even on simple objects? (Assuming you're importing into UDK)
This for example: hemnescoffeetable010403.jpg
Very simple yet, would it make that much of a difference if I had a normal map on it or not?

Replies

• cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Your edges will look nicer, plus you could add some subtle grain and damage. And it's not a lot of work for such a simple object. Depends on wether you think you have the texture budget though!
  • haba_haba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For such a simple model it probably would be better to go without hipoly. Just chamfer edges in lowpoly and put a tileable wood texture.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    My answer is nah.
  • James Ordner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Depends on how detailed you want to get. If all you want is a simple table, it's probably not worth the extra work. If you want to add wear and tear, dents, scratches, rough corners and the like, it will be much easier baking those details off of a sculpted high poly mesh than texturing them in Photoshop, especially around the corners.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Something like that it would be easier to use the mia_round_corners shader.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark wrote: »

The problem with that is that with a very simple object, adding in support loops should take you like 30 seconds. Which is honestly probably about the same amount of time it takes to set up a special shader and bake(which is only available in certain apps).

IMO any time you have unique uvs for the entire object you should probably have a quick highpoly, for something like the example here, the HP is so super fast to create its not really an issue.

But it really depends, if its a very unimportant asset, making a high or setting up a little shader or even using unique uvs in the first place may be excessive.
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    Ark wrote: »

Huh, what's the mia shader thing?
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    I'd bevel the edges slightly, slap a seamless texture on it and nDo it, instead of baking from a HP...
  • cryrid
  • JonathanLambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanLambert polycounter lvl 6
    I'd bevel the edges slightly, slap a seamless texture on it and nDo it, instead of baking from a HP...

This.
    You have to balance time vs quality. If it's a filler prop, off in the corner that will hardly be noticed, save the time and texture memory on something more important.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    The problem with that is that with a very simple object, adding in support loops should take you like 30 seconds. Which is honestly probably about the same amount of time it takes to set up a special shader and bake(which is only available in certain apps).

IMO any time you have unique uvs for the entire object you should probably have a quick highpoly, for something like the example here, the HP is so super fast to create its not really an issue.

But it really depends, if its a very unimportant asset, making a high or setting up a little shader or even using unique uvs in the first place may be excessive.

This! Listen to this!

Also, in some latest version of softwares, MIA_Soft is broken, I know Max is atleast, and it won't even try and 'bake' the Normal if your model is overlapping or mirrored.

I would personally export my LP, Dynamesh it real quick at a medium value, and use that to bake the soft edges in XN.
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    The suggestions here are good.

My own 2 cents - this is a ridiculously simple prop. Using texture memory for such an object to do so little is absurd. Chamfer / bevel, put a tiling texture on it and call it done.