Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Alley_whats it missing? what needs fixing?

I have posted this a couple times now that this project is winding down I want to put this up for a third time a see what kind of comments I get :poly124::thumbup:

52333_10152260406140247_517506026_o.jpg

177395_10152260406590247_1605630912_o.jpg

132085_10152260407305247_980599655_o.jpg

Replies

• System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    why did you decide to create an alley way?
  • solarSailor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XYZ wrote: »
    why did you decide to create an alley way?

I saw a section in Photoshop for 3d artist magazine quite a while back where the guy was doing a tutorial on making a dumpster and bits of wood and tiling brick and cobble - stone textures for a back alley looking scene and I slowly began to have this vision of my own back alley scene,

The first thing I made was a dumpster, then a few tilable textures then I was off.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • rogelio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    alley ways can be fun to make. The biggest thing I see here is scale. Everything seems either too big or too small. Get your scales right before anything else. Looking by the height of the door everything feels too big. The textures are good enough, could use some improvement. But in this case it is mostly lighting and scale.
  • RMeeks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^
    The scaling on the doors and windows seems off. The trash bags are super shiny but after a quick qoogle search I guess trash bags are kinda like that. I love the amount of grime you got going in the scene though.
  • Broadway
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Broadway polycounter lvl 9
    Looks cool! The electrical pole kind of bother me; I'd think it would at least have to have some kind of concrete base and probably wouldn't go straight into the brick floor like that.

I think it'd be cool to have some hanging wires running along the building walls.

I definitely think you could push the lighting more! All kinds of opportunity here to do something cool. My first inclination would be to make it a night scene but like TeriyakiStyle said, I'm sure you could find ref for lots of cool lighting setups.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agree on the lighting. It's a nice scene, but the lighting lets it down. It's just kind of ... there. Give it some contrast and some shadows and the scene will pop to life.
  • Anthy9986
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anthy9986 polycounter lvl 7
    I will just continue with what others have said :P .... The scale is off if you look just at the door and windows. the windows appear to be on the floor of second floor and as big as the door. Along with the large garage door at the end of the alley which seems on the small side. The lighting doesn't add a ton of contrast in the scene so what spec maps you do have are very poorly shown off. I would second a night scene as it appears you have the alley way lights on even though it is still light out.
  • aaronmwolford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aaronmwolford polycounter lvl 8
    The right wall feels a little empty. I created an alley way several years ago and took a ton of reference photos via downtown Pittsburgh. Here is one photo that has some really cool wall pieces. Fire escape, air vents, wires, etc.

I feel your missing something of that nature. Good luck.

100_0841.jpg
  • solarSailor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys :D, btw polycounters have posted better reference then I have ever found on google, I have taken my own pics too but these are way better then my reference.

I have also noticed that UDK's camera focal length is a little skewed then that of maya's, is there any way to fix that for the perspective camera?

The scale of things seem to shift slightly when I get them into the engine
  • solarSailor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys :D, btw polycounters have posted better reference then I have ever found on google, I have taken my own pics too but these are way better then my reference.

I have also noticed that UDK's camera focal length is a little skewed then that of maya's, is there any way to fix that for the perspective camera?

The scale of things seem to shift slightly when I get them into the engine

Maybe, I could be wrong?
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    You can change the focal length of the camera in both Maya in UDK if you need to. I don't remember where the settings are, but just dig around or google it so you can find out.
  • solarSailor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did some juxtaposing of things today, sizing things down including the windows, drums, and crate.

here's an unlit capture...

665724_10152262872940247_595107272_o.jpg
  • OMGiFARTED
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your assets look good and can't really ask for more except that to make it so it's just not another alley. As I learned from other artists...tell a story...give subtle indications of what may have happened there. Maybe there was a gang brawl an they left traces of blood. Anything...give the viewer a chance to guess what happened there
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    the lighting is very very red and you are losing some of the colors in your textures as a result, I tried to color correct, I went overboard but you should still get the gist of it.zE2wk.png
  • solarSailor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples wrote: »
    the lighting is very very red and you are losing some of the colors in your textures as a result, I tried to color correct, I went overboard but you should still get the gist of it.zE2wk.png

wow, thats really neat :thumbup:, yeah the colors are not the easiest to tune for the post process volume but i'll aim for that.
  • Benjam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benjam polycounter lvl 4
    its cool man, like some of the guys said the scale of some of the barrels seems a little off and the walls seem a little bare. I would love to see a homeless guys bed in there somewhere :P
  • solarSailor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples wrote: »

something like this maybe :/

196240_10152289656420247_480626563_n.jpg