Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Werewolf!

JeremyRM
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
JeremyRM polycounter lvl 8
Most recent:

werewolf_jrminor3d.com.jpg

So for some creature practice I'm working on this werewolf that Martin (CodeFather) did the concept for. He gave me permission awhile back and I'm finally getting somewhere with it, so I thought I would post it for feedback anyone might have.

I'm way more comfortable with human anatomy, so this has been a real learning process for me. It's pretty close to being finished but I still have some work mainly on the back and face to finish up.

Let me know what you guys think!

Here is the concept I'm working from:

ca_werewolf.jpg

Shots from zbrush:

s2.jpg

Replies

• BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Looks cool man, I especially like the skin flap by the arms. Atm, I think the hind legs need some more love. They look a little fudged, and I think you probably just need more reference there.
    Also the forarms and biceps don't appear as powerful as they do in the concept to me. I think they might be too long and I imagined the hands more thick and stumpy like gorilla hands. Also, the details you have are very nice, but I think they could actually be smoothed out more to give the appearance there is fur covering the skin. At the moment he looks completely hairless minus the fibers you added along the spin and tail.
    Anyway, great work so far, and I would suggest you resist the urge to call it done and play around with this some more. Good luck!
  • Jon Rush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty creepy!

I agree with the comment on the back legs. They could use a bit more love.. just some odd stuff going on. Most noticeable to me is the odd bludge on the outside of the knee cap.

Good stuff!
  • TehSplatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TehSplatt polycounter lvl 11
  • nedwork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very unique werewolf. super cool :D
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Woo, nice! However, anatomically, I'm curious how that thing would benefit from those skin flaps. Looks original but yeah.
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    The big front arms just are looking right to me at the moment, even though it's working in the concept. I would take a closer look at the concept, I think we see more of a gradation of size. I think the shoulders could be a bit smaller, then come up to a large bicep and elbow, and then get a bit skinny again in the forearms, with smaller hands. Just subtle changes. And I would also finesse the back anatomy around where the arm connects to create a better transition. Looking good.

Also, the nipples seemed odd to me. I know on humans anyway, nipples grow along the milk lines which form a V from the armpits down toward the groin, not in straight lines. I don't know if that's the case with wolves or not, and typing "wolf nipples" into google image search was a terrible, terrible idea.
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    I agree with the legs, they need to be a big bigger, so he can run more properly. And same thing with the shoulder, I think there's something strange that makes the upper arm muscle too big for shoulder skeleton. Anyways, theses are just some details I saw.
  • carlobarley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carlobarley polycounter lvl 9
    hey jeremy its kris! cool stuff you got there looking forward to seeing this develop, i think for his fangs he should have an upper fang and lower fang interlocking,

something like this

http://theevolutionstore.com/modules/store/images/products/dire_wolf_skull_antique_finish_replica_ss216_m685.jpg

or the ole insanity wolf
  • JeremyRM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82: Thanks a lot Brad, I totally agree about the arms, I've always felt like the concept was more compact and stronger in a sense. I went back and reworked that area. As far as the hair though, I was thinking of going for the Peruvian hairless look.

Jon Rush: thanks man, yeah I still had and have work left to do on them. The back legs are driving me crazy.

TehSplatt: Glad you dig it man!

Brygelsmack: haha, Brygel now all I'm picturing is a flying squirrel.

Shiniku, haha I learned that lesson early on. You have to use safe words like belly but even then :/ Thanks for the crits though man, I did a lot of reworking on the back and arms to try and get a better feel.

Megalmn2000: Mega thank for the input man, I think I touched on all of those things and hopefully it's looking better.

Kris, what's up man! Thanks for the ref dude, I went in and made some adjustments to his jaw and polished up the teeth some more.

So I think I pretty much covered what I adjusted in the comments, but basically arms back and shoulder girdle. I also did quite a bit of rework on his back legs making them bigger and whatnot. It's still not there but I think getting close.

s2.jpg
  • JeremyRM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    About ready to move onto the low poly.

11-30-2012.jpg

11-30-2012a.jpg
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Hey man, looks awesome. I hate to be a ball-buster but even though you're going for a stylised look, his legs to me don't really seem like they'd be able to take that much weight in the upper body. I mean right now it looks like he would just topple forward.

Your detailing is incredible though (I wish I could sculpt that well,) just thought I would point out the proportions to give them some thought. :)
  • JeremyRM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha all good man, the weighting has been a constant struggle with this piece. I'll see what I can do and thanks :)
  • Alex_Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with torch. Anatomically, legs are supposed to sport the largest muscle groups in the body. I get it is a monster and the rules can be bent, but with the way the proportions are now, its mode of locomotion looks like it would be the akin to the hand-standing chiuauas. While that would be funny with such a terrifying creature, I don't think that is the feeling you are shooting for. Still, the detail work is very impressive, even go ing so far as modeling the unmentionables XD.
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    I think the deltiods are looking too striated and tensed up, especially with such a sharp transition into smoother muscle forms on the arm and back. I suggest smoothing it out and making it more subtle.

Looks fuckibng great so far though. Good work Jerry.
  • Arthur Ramazanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arthur Ramazanov polycounter lvl 12
    I think the striated deltoids sort of work because if he will be moving sort of ape like with the larger arms they could be tensed up a bit to support his weight - I like how the flap is stretching - good job :)
  • Essynim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really diggin it so far. biggest crit I'd say is that the forearms feel too large and a lot of the mass has been taken away from the upper arms as was in the concept. Its pushing the proportions to the point of caricature.
  • tac0m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tac0m polycounter lvl 6
    Hey man, looks great so far. Not sure if i'm too late but maybe shrink the head a little bit. Looked a tad big from your concept. If your already doin your low poly then meh... it's not a huge deal.

Like i said, great job so far. :)
  • ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    Nice anatomy, sick sculpt:)
  • circle of friends
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    circle of friends polycounter lvl 10
    Really nice sculpt. I think you could work on the eyes a bit more. In the concept they have an awesome wild, almost scared look which is kinda victorian and awesome. Your's are a bit more knowing and sinister so if you were going for that then good job obviously, but I prefer the wild better hah.
  • KyleReeceHall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleReeceHall polycounter lvl 11
    Looks fantastic, very original take on the common wear wolf, id love to see it i a pose where it looks grounded and actually in some kind of environment as apposed to the sculpting pose you have here. Fantastic work.
  • JeremyRM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys thanks a lot for all the crits and comments, I only got to the first two and thought the thread probably dropped off and didn't check back. So I didn't get a chance to address everything that was said. I'm going to blame Arty for that one.

I made some further adjustments to the forearms and overall arm size and took Sindre's advice on the deltoids.

I've got him baked down at this point with an ao so far.

ao3.jpg

ao2.jpg

ao1.jpg
  • Tw1tch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AHH man it's so wicked. LOVE that connection of skin from the elbow to the hips. FREAKING awesome!
  • pjtorres
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pjtorres polycounter lvl 9
    awesome .... i love it
  • Aqua Dark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awww hes so cute!
  • JeremyRM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tw1tch, Tranco057, thanks guy!

Aqua Dark, he is a cutie isn't he.

Alright here is my second try at getting the sort of skin I'm looking for. First attempt was an utter failure. I still have some tweaks to make, I don't think the spec is perfect and the skin texture isn't there just yet. I've also played around with testing where I'm going to be placing hair.

12152012.jpg
  • JeremyRM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    calling it done for now, I'll probably come back and do a final image.

werewolf_jrminor3d.com.jpg
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    damn dude this is legit
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    looks brilliant!
    Must have been a fun exercise!

I wish it had more hair
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Woah, really really nice modelling. You got the skin folds and all that lovely stuff very convincing.
    One thing that stood out to me though was the deltoid. Imo it's a bit overdefined compared to the rest of the musculature.
    Also I the direction the back hair bugs me. Shouldn't it go in the opposite direction?
    Did you use any additional reference beside from the concept?

Anyway, sweet work overall. I'm envious if anything.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Hey Jeremy, great finish - looks awesome!
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I'm not so sure about the thin skin flap thingy by the arm pits... Seems he will it tear it apart every time he leaps or mauls something. Surely he doesn't fly or grind, right ?
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Wow. Great! Love your texturing and lighting as well, really finishes it nicely.
  • JeremyRM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy, butt_sahib, Torch, Fomori, thanks a lot guys.

AimBiZ - thanks man! I actually toned it down a bit from what it was before, maybe I could of gone further. The hair I followed the concept but I also liked the way it looked so I kept it. As far as references go I used tons of different images and a lot of books on animal anatomy. If you're talking about for the hair, no not really, I just went off the concept.

dustinbrown - thanks Dustin! I agree man, actually after I posed him I noticed that the brachi and brachio could of been better defined.

PyrZern - For me it was just something I liked about the design, partly why I picked the concept. I think it also plays nicely on the whole vampire werewolf theme. Maybe he's some sort of hybrid.
  • El Scorcho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great work man, didn't even realize that was a low poly at first.