Home Unreal Engine

Need advice on lighting a scene & some light issues

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Pioldes polycounter lvl 5
Okay, I'm currently working on an interior scene. When I build the lights, I get some overlapping uvs some wrapping uvs erros. For the overlapping, I think it's pretty self-explanatory, but I'm still unsure what's causing the wrapping uvs error. Could it be something related to the lightmap padding? When I get around that, it might fix the odd shading on some props.

Second of all, I need some guidance on how I should tackle lighting this scene. I am really not satisfied with how it looks so far, and fiddling with the post-process only gets me so far. I'd like this to be a shining portfolio piece, not the subpar attempt that it is right now x)

On a little side note, I also have no idea why the candles on the ground dont have Ambient Occlusion.

Running in DX11, by the way

hff1G.jpg
fyNSI.jpg
Fal6K.jpg
OoSC6.jpg
Oh, don't mind the udly yellow smear on the wall, it's a decal test that didn't turn out right.

Replies

• Pioldes
    Offline / Send Message
    wip7.jpg
    Ok... I worked on it today, modified/added some props and changed the layout a bit. I also tried building with Production lighting, which still gives me problems. The worst is that I just realized that none of my props cast any shadows when I build the lights... There is absolutely no shadows in my scene and I have no idea why. On top of that, I'm still having the ''overwrapping uvs'' error on some props, even after I went and re-done all the lightmaps...

I must be doing something quite wrong. Basically, when I have a prop done (let's say the deer skull), I put an unwrap uvws modifier on it, change the UV channel to 2, select Move Uvs to this channel, and then I pack so there's enough padding between each isle to avoid bleeding. I try to hide the seams as much as I can and to have continuous surfaces.

I was giving myself a very strict wednesday deadline to update my portfolio and I'm getting worried I might not make it if I don't solve those issues quickly...

Oh, and... any tips to get proper lighting on a mesh with a lot of planes and alphas? The broom looks atrocious while it looked good with 3DS Max's hardware shading...

Anyone? : s
  • Pioldes
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay... so I managed to get shadows from a dominant directional light, but I can't get shadows from a lightpoint (for the candles). I got every shadow boxes checked, and yet, whenever I build, I lose all the shadows from the lightpoint.

What gives?