Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

JetForce Art Dump

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
TorQue[MoD] polycounter lvl 19
Hey all,

So JetForce is a project that I started at the beginning of October 2012. We're making really good progress so far and I'm very proud of our team and wanted to share with everyone here. I'll be updating this thread on a semi regular basis and try to keep the newest material at the top:

All work © 2012 Apeirogon Entertainment Inc. unless otherwise stated. All rights reserved.

I'm very excited to say that we've got the first build of JetForce: Prototype put together and I made a video to show the progress so far.

Link to Youtube:
http://youtu.be/LKjN3qSX_8w

[vv]57496513[/vv]

Now that we've got the programming framework put together, we're going to spend the next few weeks focusing on getting a proper level put together and some of the weapon models in game.

Replies

• TorQue[MoD]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok guys, so the following designs are for a second race that we're going to introduce in the 3rd release of the game which will also introduce the proper game mode which is a blend of standard point capture ala battlefield series with RTS elements (resource gathering and base building). The idea is that the two races will represent Sci-Fi and Fantasy respectively. The JetForce are all tech, and the Enkeli are more geared towards magic. That said, the Enkeli aren't necessarily using straight up magic. We're still toying with the idea that its really technology driven by Octanium which is the resource both teams are fighting over, but they're playing it off as magic to maintain power and control over the regular people. The Enkeli themselves are sort of a mutant variation of the average person. Basically they grew wings and people started saying they were children of god and the Enkeli started spouting it as literal truth and took over like a big brother sort of deal. Anyway enough writing, here's some pics:

angel-machine1.jpg
    angel-machine2.jpg

angel01.jpg
    angel02.jpg

We'd love to get the community's feedback on which of these designs you think are the best to move forward with for the Enkeli race.

Please ignore the fact that these characters have all been designed with a more "realistic" style when compared to the JetForce. I've got two different artists working on the designs because I want there to be an obvious contrast between the races but we're going to bring them more in-line with each other for the final designs.
  • alifarsangi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alifarsangi polycounter lvl 9
    very nice designs ! especially those characters ! i just feel that the 3d character doesn't fit to the style ! it could be much more awesome !
  • Daft.Eng
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very nice designs ! especially those characters ! i just feel that the 3d character doesn't fit to the style ! it could be much more awesome !

Have to agree here, although pretty cool looking, the proportions of the model are nowhere near exaggerated enough compared to the concept.
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, everything is still WIP. We're doing our best to hit our end of Feb. milestone for the prototype so that we can meet the April deadline for the CMF funding. The Medium Soldier is already much closer to the original concept and we've already made plans to re-work the Light Soldier in the future.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Speak of the devil, our character artist just finished the Medium Soldier...
    MediumSoldier_Mesh01.jpg
  • Mischievous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mischievous polycounter lvl 6
    Impressive concept art, it kind of reminds me of Feng Zu's style, but I have to agree with the comments above, the current modelling isn't nearly as impressive as the art.
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well our concept artist is quite talented. The main reason why the models would be falling short is simply because Lee just graduated from school this summer so he's still very new to character modeling. I think he's doing a very good job considering his experience.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Definitely change the helmet design of this guy:
    jf_heavy_soldier.jpg

It just screams Ironman. Other than that, great concept art, very professional looking.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Yep I would've said very Feng Zhu type of style for the concept work, nice stuff :)
  • claytonbarton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice art work and presentation. This game looks like it'll be great, I hope you guys manage to make your milestone in time. It looks like it'll be worth it.

As it's been said about the art work above, quite reminiscent of the techniques Feng Zhu teaches. I think if more real life references were used with the modelling there would be some improvement. I know the concept art is designed to fit a certain style, but even so, some general anatomy references on hand never hurts.

The second model is a good improvement though. I think textures will add a lot to the model later on. Is Lee using ZBrush or mudbox for the high res work?
  • TigerGD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TigerGD polycounter lvl 9
    Like everyone else, I really like the concept art, and hope you'll be able to come closer to that. Could also use more color contrast and vibrance in the textures. And be sure to thoroughly check trademarks, because your project name is really close to that of a certain Rare game.
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog wrote: »
    Definitely change the helmet design of this guy:
    (Heavy Soldier Image Here)
    It just screams Ironman. Other than that, great concept art, very professional looking.

Yes, that was the first thing I thought. As Lee put it, Ironman meets Buzz Lightyear. We've decided to go with full glass face shields for all of the characters, you'll notice that we changed the Light Soldier's design accordingly as well.

If anyone has any specific suggestions on how Lee can improve his work we'd be more than thankful for them. I'm not a character artist, so I'm not the best person to give him the feedback he needs to really bring the models to the next level.

@claytonbarton - I believe Lee is familiar with Zbrush and Mudbox, however I'm not sure which package he's been using for the JF characters if he's using any sculpting package.

This is a screenshot of the Landscape Test that I put together. Now that we've figured out the style we're going for I'm going to focus on putting together a proper environment.
    landscape_test.jpg
  • LeeErickson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think my biggest issue is the textures. i was thinking of redoing them in mudbox with more vibrancy and contrast because i definitely agree they look flat
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    It's all looking pretty good! Slightly depressed that it isn't Jet Force Gemini artwork in this thread like I was suspecting, but it all looks pretty nice.
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ...Slightly depressed that it isn't Jet Force Gemini artwork in this thread...

LOL You were thinking that someone was doing an art dump for a game that was released in 1999? I mean I love Rare too, but that just seems funny. Especially since they got absorbed by MS in 2002!

And in Lee's defense, I did tell him I wanted the textures to be single colors as I was originally planning to go with a much more stylized version of the game, but I'm slowly changing my mind on that front.
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    LOL You were thinking that someone was doing an art dump for a game that was released in 1999? I mean I love Rare too, but that just seems funny. Especially since they got absorbed by MS in 2002!

And in Lee's defense, I did tell him I wanted the textures to be single colors as I was originally planning to go with a much more stylized version of the game, but I'm slowly changing my mind on that front.

It was more along the lines that I thought someone was working on a fan game I didn't hear about or did a large environment piece for their portfolio based on it.
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh right. That makes more sense. FYI I wasn't trying to sound like a jerk, I realized after posting that it could be interpreted as such. It was just a funny thought to me. I'd think that way if, for example, someone posted a Kings Quest Art dump. That's why I found it amusing :)
  • 4evra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4evra polycounter lvl 4
    2 would be my pick.
    Cross implementation is awesome.

And gliders suit the 'space/robots' theme better than feather wings.At least to me :)
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funny, I was thinking that #2 needed feathered wings :P Makes it seem more Fantasy to me.
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Tw1tch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome sketches.
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Tw1ch. I re-ordered the posts so that they're in descending order so the newer work is up top. Though now that I did that, I think from now on I'm just going to put the absolutely latest stuff up top and then bump whatever was previously there to the bottom otherwise it'll take me forever to re-organize the entire thread every time I add something new :P