Home General Discussion

Seals punished for role in Medal of Honor

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/09/navy-seals-disciplined-for-medal-of-honor-warfighter-consulting

I totally agree with this, as an avid gamer myself, I also come from a military family. Not myself I was able to choose my own path, IT/Game Development.

Anyways it seems like there are so many stories lately of SEALS selling out. What happened to honor and dont ask dont tell sort of mentality.

Replies

• lincolnhughes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lincolnhughes polycounter lvl 10
    lol Ya the good old honor-filled days of murdering people and covering it up...
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes .. i dont see your point?
  • lincolnhughes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha i like how serious you are. I guess all the soldiers in Iraq shouldn't talk about all the civilians they've killed either because it's bad for our country's image right..
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Their is a major difference, who knows what actions seals have done over the years. That is the entire point on the seals as oppose to a military. Seals can be deployed for covert action no matter what it is.

Im not sayig what they do isnt moral, but it may be necessary . I dont know what they have done over the years, thats the point.

So you're saying we shouldnt have an organization like the seals?
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    lincoln... Stay on topic and not try to turn this around to be some anti war/military thread.
  • lincolnhughes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What information could they really have given? Their tactics? Or information on the infiltration of Bin Laden's compound? Why does that shit need to be secret anyways? We basically invaded a foreign nuclear power (one that isn't part of the non-proliferation treaty) with an army (a blatant violation of how many different international laws?) to get one man. One man that didn't really matter anyways. Since his death terrorism in the region has increased, as well as foreign relations with Pakistan have gone to shit. Not to mention all the civilians we kill with drone strikes (illegally) in that area already.. So I agree that sometimes having a military organization like the Seals is necessary, in order to obtain just goals in certain situations. The Bin Laden situation isn't one of them. Your belief that it's an honor-filled station that shouldn't be questioned or talked about doesn't work for me. Maybe having an organisation like that would work if I actually believed that they were helping to make the world a better / safer place, but that principle could hardly be applied to this situation. To each his own though I guess
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    relax buddy, i never even mentioned bin laden nor did i ever say that choice was right or even related. I was just talking in general the seals can be a useful and necessary group, especially for things like rescue missions.

When i said honor I meant divulging tactics that can jeopardize future missions.
  • lincolnhughes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lincoln... Stay on topic and not try to turn this around to be some anti war/military thread.

Ya sorry for bringing up valid points concerning Seals potentially giving information on the military invasion of a nuclear power.. I'll hold my tongue next time. What I meant to say was, "Video games good, military bad"
  • Hang10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's a shame that a SEAL team member has a price. I understand it being cool to offer consultation on a hot new game coming out but anyone has access to these games and could, if paranoid enough, implement counter measures which could jeopardize future missions.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @lincoln

pls dont go there. National security is no joke, and it extends far past your complaints about one specific operation.

Bottom line is...any info that comes out that we can see, so will opposing forces. It may seem minuscule, but something as simple as a location for operations, a specific weapon used in a circumstance, and basic tactics can be the difference between having an edge or not. Laugh it off if you want, but its true.

As far as the ACTUAL topic goes...I agree that they should be disciplined 100 percent. Just like any one of use should be sued for breaking NDA, they should be punished. Its worse for them because it could be a National Security issue. Besides, Seals are supposed to be quite, concise, under the radar. If this game is supposed to be so accurate, they wouldn't put SEALS in the spotlight as heroes of a videogame to begin with. I just don't see how they need to know classified information..

Of course it might be info that they never asked for.

Also no offense to anybody here who may be working on the game...I still think it looks awesome. But seriously, those soldiers did the wrong thing and deserve to be punished.
  • Barbarian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Barbarian polycounter lvl 12
    Lincoln:

I'm a U.S. Army Vet (served overseas). It is Veteran's Day time in U.S. Retract your statement above about soldiers killing civilians and covering it up.

Any non-veterans stay out of this. Come to a Veteran's Day rally and spout that. I want to be present.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry guys, this thread is too hot button of a topic, closing it down
This discussion has been closed.