Home General Discussion

World War Z trailer

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
slipgatecentral polycounter lvl 13
Being a huge fan of original book, I'm all excited about this movie, even though it seems they've changed the way they'll show main events. It's probably no longer a series of interviews taken after the war. Anyway, trailer shows that feel of global disaster and why army fails to stop undead horde. Shot where zombies are piling up to get over fort walls is just awesome.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md6Dvxdr0AQ"]World War Z Official Trailer #1 (2013) - Brad Pitt Movie HD - YouTube[/ame]

Replies

• HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    Gee, those p̶a̶r̶t̶i̶c̶l̶e̶ people effects looked great...
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Hmmmm

I loved the book but from the trailer I'm quite dubious. The zombies just seemed like the 'vampires' from I Am Legend instead of the shamblers from the book, probably to make things more actiony. As you say it seems they're not doing it as interviews, I'm guessing to try and turn the story into a single thread. Not much is shown but I honestly just don't get the feeling this movie will do the book justice.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    I thought zombies were supposed to be undead, and slow walkers? Usually these kind of fast ones I consider infected... I dunno it looks interesting but I'd have to see more then animated flooding infected climbing walls... I prefer actual people :o I'll be watching for more details.
  • aivanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    Looks pretty simple to my jaded movie-watcher eyes - they slapped Brad Pitt and World War Z onto a standard action flick for the name recognition, looks great from the suits' point of view.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll have to watch it again later when my kids asleep so I can full-screen with the sound turned on but, hmmmmm.
    I absolutely love the book and have read it a few times so the Z-heads being runners is a put-off right away. So many of the good tense moments were just the overwhelming numbers and the military's high-tech weaponry being more of a detriment since so much of it didn't result in head-shot.
    I dunno, I always thought this would be a perfect Band of Brothers style HBO mini-series. Here's hoping they at least include the Catacombs. And the North Korea bit, that was so creepy-awesome... damnit this is gonna suck compared to the book.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    This looks absolutely terrible.
  • slipgatecentral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not following the book? Whatever. What it does have - a massive worldwide scale of infestation, something that no other movie had before, and that's cool. Show me Yonkers and I'll be happy as fuck.
    If it gonna suck - oh well. I'd rather have a shitty zombie movie than no movie at all :>
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    katamari dazombie
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The people behave like a liquid, its kinda retarded looking, a blob that has one goal, which is really odd for mindless speed zombies.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I'm pretty sure other movies have had worldwide scales before. What's really bad is that this type of zombie would ruin stories from the book like Yonkers. Gone are the millions of zombies slowly and relentlessly walking through an artillery strike to the horror of everyone assembled. All of Todd's stories (and everyone else) would be reduced to a basic "I ran like hell from those super humans until Brad Pitt saved us).
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    cryrid wrote: »
    This looks absolutely terrible.

I don't know anything about the book, so I won't comment on the story line but the CG is one of the worse I've seen lately. It looks like a bad "crowd/physics tech demo" with a lot of post prod slapped on it.

I'll probably give it a shot since I'm a sucker for anything Zombie related, but this trailer didn't excite me AT ALL.

(I should probably read the book?)
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Feel the same way Renaud, thought it looks really stupid, but I look forward to being proven wrong :)
  • CordellC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CordellC polycounter lvl 11
    I feel bad for the chap that heard the phrase "zombie wave" and took it as a literal wave of zombies. Looks pretty bad.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    I`m stoked to see the war- It seems most zombie fiction takes place after the initial invasion, and the story picks up in the aftermath. Its about time they got around to a full blown zombie shitstorm movie!!

Usually fast zombies take the creepiness away for me, But I think seeing a crowd stampede onto itself is pretty disturbing :P Sheer panic! (lol @ zombie stackin tho)

I`ve never read the book so admittedly I don't entirely know how true to the source any of this is.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Why did the situation escalate so quickly, in under 5 minutes? Were the zombies trying to get back to work and this was their lunch break?

How come half of the people are getting killed by single driver vehicles in mass, especially law enforcements? Do they have magnets?

What are people running from in the first place, in mass when they most likely don't see anything, or considering them zombies look still pretty human and all?

How do they know where and how to setup choke-points in the first place when everyone is dieing, and why are many of the points void of any military personnel?

Why are there people jumping over cars or being thrown over them, clearing the car? Where is all this super human strength coming from, are they eating their protein shake?

How the fuck are zombies able to walk, let alone run on a bus rotating from 90* to 45*, especially at such a fast pace, and somehow still clear a bridge?

Why do they show Brad and Co. getting away in the chopper? Why spoil that part of the movie like that? Do the producers know the movie is crap, and trying to save us some money?

How did they setup a safe-haven place on sea, so quickly in under a day? Did they have a Global Communication device, created by Zeus himself?

What is Brad Pitt's job that he gets enlisted, or did they choose him because he's handsome as fuck and even zombies would think twice about eating him?

How did they get infected at such a rapid pace? Did no one take biology 101 in school? Or did the infection spread anally, during a drunken keg party.

Why are the zombies massing together like a wave? Did they discover a way to compress themselves in a black hole and spawn hack in our reality at terminal velocity?

Why are the zombies working together to from a human snake? Did they watch the Human Centipede? Why is no one shooting them or blowing up their bottom parts so they fall off again?

Why are they showing only USA and the areas in it/near it? How come the only other place they show looks like a Spain or Greece built by IKEA?

Why are they focusing only on one family, and not several? Did every other single family decide their self worth is worth more then any amount of money?

Why does the trailer have dubstep in it? Is it because zombies now represent the consummation of earthly delights in form of dubstep being braindead?

Why did they name this movie WWZ, when it has nothing to do about it?
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    From reading the limited triva on imdb I'd assume the Brad and family bits are a small portion of the film and the other scene's are seperate events from around the world that he travels to, kinda like how the character in the book interviews survivor's from those events. Marc Forster is directing which may or not be cool and Damon Lindelof wrote the screenplay, which is... yeah...
  • elGuapo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    From what I see in the trailer, a truer adaption of a book has never been made.

Seriously though, why call it World War Z if the only commonality is zombies? And even those are wildly different from the book version.
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This trailer confused me like hell :D Haven't even heard of book so I had no clue what was going on judging from trailer alone. Maybe it's a good thing eh?
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty much, why even call Z then? Day of the Z? Global Infection? Disease? There are plenty of names you could give it!

I mean running zombies, make the movie so if you must, but making them essentially a wave of tentacles that reminds me more of the Human Centipede or in some minor cases, L4D with Tanks rather then Z is it.

And you know whats the sad thing? I never read the book, just browsed it a few years back, alongside the Comic book which was the precursor to the book, I especially liked the part where they wrote about the story of the Roman Empire crumbling because hundreds and thousands of zombies marched to them and a single fort held them off because the survivor told them about the undead beforehand.

They were slow, they were stupid, but it was their numbers and the fact that they piled so high, they walked over the dead bodies of their own which were paled in fire under the bridge that made it terrifying, yet we have non of this here, hell, if you look carefully, you'll these guys run extremely fast, yet somehow, when required (like the Helicopter or Plane scene) simply 'run' at a brisk pace.

Even Micheal Bay has more self composure then the guy who wrote "Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk".
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    Is it still PG-13?
    Yeah?
    So I wont get to see this?
    fcee5eee8589ad421fb45b3.jpg

Damn you Hollywood... Damn you...
  • Paradan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so the female pilot that gets shot down, how are they gonna tell that story in this kind of movie?

what about the sub captain who has to hunt down his son, who is also a sub captain, and sink his sub to keep him from destroying the world.(er something, its been a while.)
  • slipgatecentral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure other movies have had worldwide scales before. What's really bad is that this type of zombie would ruin stories from the book like Yonkers. Gone are the millions of zombies slowly and relentlessly walking through an artillery strike to the horror of everyone assembled. All of Todd's stories (and everyone else) would be reduced to a basic "I ran like hell from those super humans until Brad Pitt saved us).

Tbh, that's one of weak points of the Max Brook's book.
    Even though his idea of how zombies ignore pain and immune to shock effect from conventional weapons is cool and shit, that doesn't explain how modern artillery and cluster bombs fail do deliver any significant damage to slowly moving crowd. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMYnWTd8v8M Munitions like that devastate armored columns in less than a second, there's no fucking way it's not effective against soft flesh. Considering that, stuff shown in trailer makes more sense - at least they're moving fast.

and yeah, pretty much every zombie movie that was made focused on survival aspect of it, no global war, no explanation why army failed - every time they show the aftermath, not the actual events.
  • slipgatecentral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    Why
    How
    Why
    Why
    Why
    How
    Why
    How

And most important Why:
    Why it's so short, only 3 minutes?!
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Not following the book? Whatever. What it does have - a massive worldwide scale of infestation, something that no other movie had before, and that's cool. Show me Yonkers and I'll be happy as fuck.
    If it gonna suck - oh well. I'd rather have a shitty zombie movie than no movie at all :>

Good zombie movies do not put the focus on "massive worldwide scale of infestation", that's where this looks to miss out on what makes zombie movies great, the apocalypse should always take the backstage to the personal stories and survival of characters.

Nearly all zombie stories involves a worldwide zombie apocalypse and makes you feel like how it would do there, communications fail, no one has any idea what is going on!

I do think that one less zombie movie is better than one more bad one.

I do hope for the sake of the lols that this movie features a zombie army rushing down a hill against a human army, that would be the crown on this masterpiece.
  • zicoV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If they would just drop the name world war z I wouldn't mind this so much. But judging from the trailer this couldn't have less to do with the book.

And frankly it looks like a terrible movie :( As does the partical zombie effect they use 3 fucking times in the trailer.. cmon people.
  • slipgatecentral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld wrote: »
    Good zombie movies do not put the focus on "massive worldwide scale of infestation", that's where this looks to miss out on what makes zombie movies great, the apocalypse should always take the backstage to the personal stories and survival of characters.

Nearly all zombie stories involves a worldwide zombie apocalypse and makes you feel like how it would do there, communications fail, no one has any idea what is going on!

This one is different. And that's what makes it so fucking cool. The book is popular because of that, it tries to explain what actually happened and why dudes with tanks failed worldwide.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    This one is different. And that's what makes it so fucking cool. The book is popular because of that, it tries to explain what actually happened and why dudes with tanks failed worldwide.

It was more about the must to have a global infestation theme as if it was a tom clancy novel.

The setting does seem interesting but the infestation does seem overdone for the movie for the sake of being a disaster-movie, I never read world war z, but I did read zombie survival guide, it's pretty specific with how zombies rot and how incapable they are of running :P

Don't get me wrong though, I'm a big fan of running zombies, but this is taking it to a whole other level!
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    that doesn't explain how modern artillery and cluster bombs fail do deliver any significant damage to slowly moving crowd.

Large volumes of densely packed flesh would be particularly good at absorbing that kind of fire power. IIRC, it's more sheer numbers and attrition that wear the military down in the book; you can do all the damage you like, your ammunition is going to be limited.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    I'm guessing there won't be the blind japanese gardener.

One of the things that is so great about the book is how it goes into all the problems other than zombies. This seems like it's switching much of that in favour of a faster pace, more action disaster movie film.

ie. Hollywood being Hollwyood
  • Kave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kave triangle
    I was excited when i heard about this, but this trailer made it look shit.
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nistrum polycounter lvl 9
    yup. the book was all about suspense. the idea that yeah you can outrun them, but eventually you will tire, sleep, stop paying attention. thats what made yonkers SO terrifying.. the army started out all full of confidence and slowly, surely and totally irrevocably this slow moving wave engulfs them. that would have been cinematic magic. :( sad times.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    The took the name of a book that goes into great depth to realistically portray how zombies would take over, and how we would have to change our tactics in order to take back the world, and shit all over it. Put aside the shambling vs running zombies debate, this is bad crowd physics meets bad cg, zombies don't turn into a blob that can overturn buses and climb up walls, what next, they pile together to form a 100 foot tall mega zombie? Is this Starship Troopers meets I Am Legend?

Really loved the book, but this movie has absolutely nothing to do with it. Cannot wait to hear what Max Brooks has to say about it.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow those zombie/people look awful
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Tbh, that's one of weak points of the Max Brook's book.
    Even though his idea of how zombies ignore pain and immune to shock effect from conventional weapons is cool and shit, that doesn't explain how modern artillery and cluster bombs fail do deliver any significant damage to slowly moving crowd. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMYnWTd8v8M Munitions like that devastate armored columns in less than a second, there's no fucking way it's not effective against soft flesh. Considering that, stuff shown in trailer makes more sense - at least they're moving fast.

and yeah, pretty much every zombie movie that was made focused on survival aspect of it, no global war, no explanation why army failed - every time they show the aftermath, not the actual events.

the bombs were effective in the book. but they were super expensive and they only had so many. even if you blow off their legs they keep crawling at you. the pop of new york is 8 million. thats a lot of brains to destroy

im going to see it anyway, but casting brad pitt turned this from the story of survivors around the world to lets just see what brad pitt does.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    meh. I'll prolly go see it... but i'm pretty sure its gonna suck.
  • VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    I hear production of this flick was a fucking disaster.
    Looks disappointing for a $125–200 million film.
    This is what it needs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C4vKlx2kfY

Let's say they had $125 million.

Brad Pitt's Paycheck: $124,999,999
    VFX: $1
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i have some super easy ways to fix this movie.

1. release it as a syfy original movie
    2. rename it ZOMBALANCHE

what the fuck is up with the zombies flowing around town like a fucking mudslide.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    didnt say it wasnt cool, just said its not even close to what its suposed to be. resident evil movies look closer to the source material.

the runnin zombie things are ok with me and even how terrible terrible they look, just looks like a slightly higher budget syfy movie. i have 2 favorite books involving zombies, this one, and i am legend. and it looks like we will never actualy have a movie of them.
  • 3DFM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meh, is it just me who thinks that Brad Pitt's acting has been pretty shite since fight club and snatch? Looks like the only expression he can conjure is that of being slightly startled.

I kinda get the feeling that he's not even trying anymore.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DFM wrote: »
    Meh, is it just me who thinks that Brad Pitt's acting has been pretty shite since fight club and snatch? Looks like the only expression he can conjure is that of being slightly startled.

Why would he? He's rich, has a hot wife, lots of children, lets face it, if he's doing this movie for ANY reason, it's most likely is either because someone has blackmailed him in doing it, or he's doing it out of a pity-fuck.

And yeah, the zombie wave thing is cool IF it was any other movie, especially if insects are involved with a Hivemind, but since these are supposed to follow the books, and zombies are essentially a walking mass of meat who wants your brains, I don't understand how this makes any sense.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Why would he? He's rich, has a hot wife, lots of children, lets face it, if he's doing this movie for ANY reason, it's most likely is either because someone has blackmailed him in doing it, or he's doing it out of a pity-fuck..

well, it is his production company
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Hugh wrote: »
    I thought it was cool. I think they approached the idea how like how safari ants work like a hive:

It's like if the zombies in this movie could actually fly and repeated the squid sequences from the matrix movies with the excuse that the creators were inspired by bee-hives, and completely forgetting that humans can't fly.

Ants have some fantastic amount of strength compared to their size as well as hooked feet to assist their climbing.

Humans can run well naturally so that I can believe in zombie-scenarios, but we are consistently clumsy when climbing on top of each-other, no virus or drug in the world can change our bodies that fundamentally.
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    3DFM wrote: »

'Tree of Life' ?
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hugh wrote: »
    need+a+hug.jpg
    I don't need no damn hug! I need someone who will play DOTA with me without blaming me for the team losing when I'M THE ONE CARRYING DEM ZOMBIES AROUND! RAAAAWR! #YOLO #SWAG #WWZ #EDGY

Speaking of cats...
    eld wrote: »
    Humans can run well naturally so that I can believe in zombie-scenarios, but we are consistently clumsy when climbing on top of each-other, no virus or drug in the world can change our bodies that fundamentally.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxoplasma_gondii

Basically, cats have a virus which shuts down the fear system in mice, this virus also has been shown to have certain effects in a great number of human individuals, in which it's the equivalent of minor brain damage, schizo, etc.

This is about the closest thing we have to a 'zombie' virus in our everyday interaction save for worms from Africa or parasites which control ants, sooo...yeah, I guess the point of our bodies becoming squids is impossible still stands.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    this trailer has all the hallmarks of a poor film. I fully expect this to be on par with I am Legend. Cool premise, bad execution and terrible "Hollywood" scripting.

also,

TRUMPET BLAST.....TRUMPET BLAST..... Bass drop..... suspenseful silence..............TRUMPET BLAST....... etc

trailer soundtracks need to do something different, its getting old.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Speaking of I am Legend, someone threw some prosthetic makeup test footage up on Youtube from when Riddley Scott was looking at doing the movie. One can only imagine how much improved that movie would have been with Scott at the helm and without the laughable CG and incredibly obvious executive interference.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY_MYfueEOs"]I Am Legend - studioADI - YouTube[/ame]

As for World War Z, I don't have any investment in the book having never read it, but it looks kinda naff. Might be worth a 2 dollar hire for a few spectacular set piece scenes if nothing else.
  • Paradan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    they should have made World War B.

instead of zombies, it's bunnies. theres this Japanese island that used to be a chemical warfare lab, and now its overrun with bunnies, they could mutate, become super aggressive and go all CG on us.

bunnies would look better as a particle effect
  • Mrskullface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love me some zombies! but the CG zombies look way too cg. I think they are pushing some sort of procedural animation tech or something. The more i watch the trailer the more i dislike it and the more goofy and not scary it is.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the book itself takes place after the zombie war has been won. and a reporter is going around doing interviews with people who were involved. its pretty much a bunch of short stories with different peopl about how they overcame the zombie apocalypse.
    if the movie was like the book the brad pit character would never even encounter a zombie besides listening to people talk about them.

when i heard the movie was being made i put in a bit of thought about how they was going to achieve this in the context of a film. and that to do it well would require a good bit of skill and tallent.

it seems the answer was to not even try
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxoplasma_gondii

Basically, cats have a virus which shuts down the fear system in mice, this virus also has been shown to have certain effects in a great number of human individuals, in which it's the equivalent of minor brain damage, schizo, etc.

This is about the closest thing we have to a 'zombie' virus in our everyday interaction save for worms from Africa or parasites which control ants, sooo...yeah, I guess the point of our bodies becoming squids is impossible still stands.

I'm not talking about the eventual realism of zombies, I'm talking about going above and beyond the human body (which is eventually resident-evil material).

Shutting down pain reception and pushing the body to its limit is realistic, totally breaking it and going beyond is physically impossible.

We have plenty of real-life crowd scenarios where people are full of adrenaline and being crowdy, they tend to have a hard time doing anything vertical, this is why even though the movie is about zombies, it just drops deep into uncanny valley when we see human bodies avalanche like ants.