Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Detective character - help with hair?

Attila
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Attila polycounter lvl 8
Hi Polycount, I've been working on this model for a while and I'm struggling with the hair. I started the model in XSI mod tool and am doing the high-poly sculpt in 3d Coat.
WIP-detective.jpg
It seems like the main ways of doing hair are to make a 'helmet,' to create strips of polys, or to sculpt it directly onto the head. I want something short, like a pixie cut in the back, but with some longer hair hanging in her face as well.
WIP_detective_hair.jpg
I like the way Tom Parker does the hair here http://vimeo.com/19398882 but I don't see how it would work for the pieces of hair in front. Advice would be appreciated and I will take any other crits you may have. Thanks! :)

Replies

• Der Hollander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you're shooting for something game res, what I've seen that works to address shorter hair with a few long bits is to sculpt the short hair on the head and then add alpha strips to make the hair that drapes over the forehead.

That way, you've got something that will be economical in a game engine, but the long parts can have motion attached to them and will arguably turn out a better looking result.

I'm not exactly sure if I'm making any kind of sense or not, but that's what I've got.
  • Attila
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Attila polycounter lvl 8
    Update - haven't had time to get to the hair yet but I did some work on the boots.boots-laced.jpg
  • Attila
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Attila polycounter lvl 8
    Still working on this but it is slow going. I changed the shape of the head a bit and tweaked the face some. Still dragging my feet on the hair.

eta: be good to add the actual content of the post, no?
    detective-wip.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Simply make planes and hang them however you want around her forehead. Make texture and alpha map for them and done.
  • Attila
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Attila polycounter lvl 8
    Okay, I feel like I'm getting somewhere now. I used the low poly forms from earlier as a base and repeated a couple here and moved a couple there to get a bit of volume and distribution to the form.

If I understand correctly, once I add surface detail and paint it, I would retopo just the outside of the hair planes and bake that texture. Does that sound right?

hairstyle-turnaround1.jpg
    Oh, and sorry if this turnaround looks like an 80's CD cover.