[Dota2] - Meepo - Riftshadow Roamer

• Offline / Send Message
  • 82 Replies
So now that we've come to a final decision I'm starting a fresh thread.

Our old thread is here:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107996

Here's the final concept along with a little bio :)

This Meepo is a well seasoned traveller. A collector of junk and a dealer in tall tales, this drifter has seen it all out in the ruins, and for an incredibally high price he might even let you in on a secret or two. Just keep the secret to yourself and you’ll keep your tongue!

0svXG.jpg

Replies

• aivanov
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 409 Replies
    As you've been told before, very strong concept and very fitting set!
  • Beats
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 82 Replies
    4uwe1.jpg

Heres my start to the weapon. Just AO and base colours down for the mo, I'm planning on getting each item to this level, tweaking all my levels and then seeing how far I can push the texture details. I'm currently working on the backpack so I should have something to share soon.
  • crazyone
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 96 Replies
    wow looking great
  • KaiserKloud
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 52 Replies
  • Pemaktitkis
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 31 Replies
    best
    set
    for Meepo
    EVER
  • danidem
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 109 Replies
    Damn, this is great!!!
  • Beats
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 82 Replies
    Cheeky update from me today!

Thanks a lot guys for the comments, I spent last night doing a simple sculpt for his rucksack. I think I can call my initial lowpoly for the set done, its going to pain me to make the LOD but hopfully I'll manage alright :)

I'm gona throw some basic colour over the rucksacks AO, then have an overall tweak of all the colours for the set before going into more details.

QqeVY.jpg
  • Gerre
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 161 Replies
  • foeffa
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 80 Replies
    Best Meepo I have seen so far. :o
  • rory
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 63 Replies
    Sweet concept and progress so far. Keep it up!
  • SassaFrass
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 17 Replies
    This is a set i might even want on my meepo. Can't wait to see the final set. I also like that you keept the original silhouette with that banjo or what ever instrument that is.
  • Beats
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 82 Replies
    Thought I'd better get some sort of understanding on submitting models for game. I used the weapon as a test as I only need to skin to one bone, was pretty straight forward! Is there any way of viewing the higher poly LOD0 in the game viewer and not just the LOD1??

The only slight clipping regarding animation was on the death anim. When the weapon is on the ground it slightly intersects with the ground plane, this a problem? I think I'll rotate the mesh 90 degrees as meepos attacks will make more sense with the flat side of the pan being the contact point rather than the branch. Also from the game camera you really cant see the leaf, I'll most likely enlarge it.

Texturing still WIP. I'll post up my WIP texturing for the rucksack later after some tweaks :)

IAs2v.jpg

DihDH.jpg
  • Beats
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 82 Replies
    About time I posted an update. Heres a quick marmoset grab, I havent played with any shaders, theres no spec just pure diffuse and normal at the mo. I'll be tinkering with the textures over the next few days then I'll create masks later in the week when I have time.

I'm gona rework the hat as I noticed a fair amount of clipping towards the back of the hat during his run cycle, I'll just curl up the back corner (with the ear coming through) as its just intersecting with his backpack. I'll also sculpt in the stitches as the normal map I made was always just a quick sculpt.

Expect something closer to the the final textures next time. I'll then sort the masks and I'm done :)

Let me know what you guys think.

UTylL.jpg
  • Baj Singh
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 654 Replies
    Awesome work Beats. Really nice silhouette and i'm looking forward to seeing it in motion!!
  • Beats
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 82 Replies
    Cheers Baj, now theres the two week extension you shouldnt have any worries finishing. I'm just chatting with Tom about starting another set as well. So I'll be pushing to get this done before the weekend and cracking on with a fresh set.

Looking forward to seeing your finished Pudge mate
  • TeeStock
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 21 Replies
    nCTro.jpg
    Just had a thought. We could maybe bring back the Riftshadow Crystals into his backpack. It would serve as a good attractor for him. It also ties back into his character quite strongly. Maybe something we could manage with the new deadline? Its not a deal breaker, just could be cool :)
  • Baj Singh
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 654 Replies
    Maybe its worth keeping the crystal for another set.

Right now the Bottles seem to be balancing out the detail and keeping the attention focused on the banjo. The crystal seems like it conflicts too much with the banjo (which one does your eye instantly focus on, the silhouette of the banjo or the luminescence of the crystal).

If you did another set, treasure hunter or crystal collector could be the main theme.
  • TeeStock
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 21 Replies
    Great feedback, cheers mate. You're right about the focus being drawn from the banjo. I guess im aware that the banjo is quite a bold centerpiece, design wise, and I was intentionally drawing focus from it a bit to help sell the banjo backpack as definately a Meepo item (lore over art sensibilities). Me and Beats love the pack with just the bottles and banjo, we're just hoping the guys at Valve do too!

We're probably not going to tie the crystals into this set at this late stage, but like you suggested bring them into our new set from the start, which i start designing tomorow!

Cheers bud!
  • Aerashi
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 82 Replies
    Looking ace guys, really like how it's turned out. I also have to agree that although the crystals work quite well, it does draw a lot away from the banjo. Maybe tweak the bottle colours so they stand out a bit more?
  • LuCh!
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 323 Replies
    nice, love it! xD
    especially the guitar!

and yeah, crystals look cool but the bottles fit the set better,
    also like you painted it it maybe needs some cool particles but we can't do that yet,
    so maybe something for when the SDK launches! ;)
  • D4V1DC
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 2.9K Replies
    Turned out great let's see some in-game shots!
  • Beats
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 82 Replies
    Cheers Guys, I spent a bit of time experimenting with the masks to get good results last night. I'll post some in game shots soon (hopefully tonight). Gutted that I cant look at the whole set together in the model viewer.
  • BrontoThunder
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 931 Replies
    You can, it's just a bit more difficult.

The set looks incredible!
  • ballooncity247
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 12 Replies
    This is awesome and all the assets tie so nicely together as a theme! =D
  • TeeStock
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 21 Replies
    Thanks for all the awesome feedback guys. We've managed to complete the set and submit it, and here are the images that can be found over at the store - Riftshadow Roamer Set

Also, here's another link right back to the start of the set's development - Riftshadow Roamer WIP
    b9o1V.jpg
    LsGIf.jpg
    hvFL2.jpg
    TL8ep.jpg
    oEeLe.jpg
    HK6H5.jpg
  • Naso
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 141 Replies
    Banjo
  • Clyptic
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 409 Replies
    Great textures!
  • D4V1DC
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 2.9K Replies
    Awesomesauce, loving it, looks great especially those renders and presentation image damn!
  • ENODMI
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 934 Replies
  • Dvonio
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 172 Replies
    I had no doubt of this being selected to win :D, congrats!

Leave a Comment