Home Technical Talk

Occluders in xNormal

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
I'm using xNormal for the synched normals pipeline for UDK, and have hit a bit of a snag. In Max or Blender, when baking, there are three sets of meshes; the low poly, the high poly that is being directly baked from, and high poly that won't be directly baked, just as a shadow casting/occluding/light reflecting surface. This is very, very useful, and I find, the best way of doing floating geometry without interference.

I don't seem to be able to do this in xNormal. Is this the case? I've looked through the tutorial, saw no option to do it. If I can't, it's not a huge problem, I can bake the AO in something else and just do the normals in xNormal.

Thanks

Replies

• JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Never mind I found it thanks, for future reference they're called blockers and are added to the low poly not the high for some reason.

Nope, doesn't seem to do anything.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Not sure what you mean - you can setup several HP meshes in xnormal, ie include a plane or cones or whatever to occlude your mesh.

Blockers are intended to stop raycasting errors from occuring, in areas like between fingers, IIRC.
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's my low poly for reference:
    PPjVL.png
    I want to bake the pipes and block separately, so I don't get bits of pipe all over the block and vice versa. However, I still want the pipes to cast shadows on the block. In Max or Blender this is easy; in Blender just don't select the pipes when baking the block, and in Max don't add them to the list in the projection modifier.

I don't see a way to do this in xNormal.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Simply uncheck the HP mesh of the pipe in the HP list, xNormal will not bake it.
    Save your maps separately then blend them inside photoshop.
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It also doesn't cast shadows on the bit I do want, which makes the end result look less "real".

Thanks for the reply.