Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Frog (First Zbrush Expirience)

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Bagstor polycounter lvl 6
Hi everyone! I create this frog, but i have a problem.
1) How i can apply different material on eye and skin?
2) Draw texture on model in zbrush? or use photoshop?
29frrie.jpg
10fomeg.jpg

Replies

• Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    1) It looks like the eyes are seperate subtools from the body yeah? All you have to do if this is the case is select a brush and turn M or MRGB on (Up top near Zadd / Zsub / Zintensity stuff). Basically M stands for material, MRGB for Material + Red Green Blue colouring.. etc. If M is on and you go Colour > Fill, the entire subtool will be filled with the currently selected material. At first you won't see the change, but now if you change the selected material the subtool you filled won't change. It'll probably prompt you if polypainting needs to be turned on.

If MRGB is selected, then it will fill with both the currently selected material AND the currently selected colour.

If they're all the one subtool, then you can fill the whole frog with the skin material, then with M turned on on your brush and Zadd/Zsub turned off, you can paint the eye material on the eyes. You'll want to look into material blending too if that's the case, but I doubt it is.

2) Same as above, turn RGB on, Zadd/Zsub off on your brush. If you google Zbrush Spotlight, Zbrush Zapplink you'll also get information on some extra methods you can use. You might want to watch a quick tutorial or two before you begin. If you're painting but not seeing anything, check RGB is on, check your selected colour, and check Polypaint is turned on for your subtool (Tool palette for memory).
  • Bagstor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek thx! its help me a lot! I started paint my frog
    wssnky.jpg
  • Bagstor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have new problem here. How i can mirrored this eye?
    nv32v.jpg
  • Stockwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is fantastic! Any links to some tutorials that cover painting techniques like this?

Great work!
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Depends. From this angle it actually looks like the eyes are part of the mesh, before I'd assumed they were separate subtools.

Since your model is symmetrical (at least it looks that way) you should be painting/sculpting with symmetry on, I notice in the first screenshot you definitely have symmetry on so I assume you forgot about it when doing the eye?

If you open up the Tool > Deformation palette there are options for resym, but I'm not sure if they include polypaint.. If not, you might just want to turn symmetry on and paint the eye you've already painted again, so it's copied over to the unpainted eye.

If for some reason your symmetry is not perfect you'll have to use resym / play with symmetry settings (local symmetry on/off, custom pivot perhaps).
  • MichaelElphick
    Or complete one eye then subtool master it across using that symmetry, thats of course if the model in symmetrical.
  • losta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Bagstor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stockwell Thx! It just my first expiriense in texturing) but i can draw litle tutrial how i do this)

Bek Thank You. You really help me! But eye is diferent sub tool. I just create new one and turn on simmetry:)

349a05t.jpg
    11lojm0.jpg
  • Bagstor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok. I painted her. But what next? How i can export lowpoly model with texture, normal. oclusion map and other in marmoset and then in game engine?
    2100uvn.jpg
    nck7a.jpg
    30i9vg9.jpg
    264ge1w.jpg
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Do you have a low poly version? If not, you'll have to make one, either from scratch or retopologised from the high poly.

Once you do, you need to bake the maps from the high to the low. You could do this with Zbrush + Multi Map exporter plugin, or use a program like xNormal. You get more control and probably better results for the normal map using xNormal, plus it's a good tool for most things so you might as well use it for this too.
  • Bagstor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I cant find good tutorial for Xnormal. maybe you know any links? :|
  • GrevSev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrevSev polycounter lvl 9
    Bagstor wrote: »
    I cant find good tutorial for Xnormal. maybe you know any links? :|

http://eat3d.com/free_zbrush_xnormal_pipe
  • Bagstor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx:) But i cant do normal map by this tutorial. When the man on video push button Colorise i cant find it:(
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    http://www.3dmotive.com/training/zbrush/texturing-and-baking-with-zbrush-xnormal-and-ndo/?follow=true

This should be enough for baking with xnormal.

I wouldn't use decimation master to create the low poly though (unless you want to have a very high poly low poly model).
    You can either use retopology in zbrush or use external software like topogun.
  • Bagstor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! And another question) I export low poly version my model and look! frog dont have eyes! :( so then Xnormal bakes AOmap they need? How i can export all sub tool together? or its dasnt need?
    2v1ub8j.jpg
  • Bagstor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So...i have this. Its ok? Eye was in diferent sub tool and i think i need take they and integrate in frog in 3dsMAX. I am right?
    67kqd5.jpg
    300tok9.jpg
  • Bagstor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That all. Thank you guys! Thank to Bek!
    efpd7o.jpg
    13zz580.jpg
    2gubm2v.jpg
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey the zbrush model of this looks great i think the spec map on the lowpoly needs some more work though. good model.