Home Technical Talk

Tablet PCs for Game Art creation

Are there any Tablet PCs now available that are capable of GameArt creation. What OS is the best to use for them? I'm used to using Vista 64.

I like to use 3d max, blender, zbrush, marmoset, udk, x normal and photoshop Cs4. My old Dell could use these programs, but its from 2007 so its getting old. The wacom tablet is seperate and kind of cumbersome. IF it were all in one, it would be easier to carry and probably have more than 2.5 hours of battery life.

Replies

• Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    I have been looking for the right one for a while now, it might be a good idea to wait to see what kind of performance the Surface Pro delivers once it is released in a good 4-5 months it has both a passive and active digitizer and a 1920x1200 screen (I would assume it is pressure sensitive but they never said how many levels/what kind of tech/wacom/etc) and like everything else has a HD4000.

Lenovo - X230T, 1366x768 led screen, HD4000

Fujitsu Lifebook T902 1600x900, HD4000

Dell's tablet thinger might be worth looking at for the screen, but worthless Dell doesn't even seem to know what kind of technology the pen uses (maybe it's not even pressure sensitive is what I am saying)
    Dell - XPS 12 Duo, 1920x1080 screen, HD4000
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    if you want to do serious 3d work then don't think about a tablet, they are just too weak right now. But for zbrush sculpting and photoshop i can recommend the samsung slate, i wouldn't use it for 3dsmax tho. havent tested marmoset, but max is almost turnbased
  • GrevSev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrevSev polycounter lvl 9
    Theres also this, if you can find one http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_Slate_EP121/#specifications

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfB8_fL9mIc"]Asus Eee Slate Using Zbrush and Maya - YouTube[/ame]
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    the eee slate is even slower, heavier, louder and hotter than the samsung one i would not recommend it for serious 3d work, as it also lacks a real 3d accelerator
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    The Samsung Slate 7 series got quadcore cpus and 4gig of ram, which is enough to art on.

Add ArtDock and AutoHotKey (free tools for artists) to it and its ace apparently. Iv been looking at getting one myself for a while now..
  • diamond3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diamond3 polycounter lvl 7
    Visit Fujitsu eBay store, http://stores.ebay.com/Fujitsu-Computer-Store/Convertible-Tablet-PCs-/_i.html?_fsub=3

They sell not-so-old models twice cheaper than MSRP.
  • GrevSev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrevSev polycounter lvl 9
    Hhmmmm those cons are probably why some sites stopped carrying it...Who's to say though
    I planned on getting one but Ive only seen the eee in action never used one. Having a change of heart now
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would advise against the slate 7 the graphics card, processor and screen are all worse than X230T....

Difference between HD3000 (slate 7) and HD4000 is substantial
    -benchmark comparison HD3000 to HD4000
    http://compare-processors.com/rank/notebookgraphics.php?Intel+HD+Graphics+3000=on&Intel+HD+Graphics+4000=on&cp=Compare

price Slate 7 1350$ edit: actually that's the msrp and the price has dropped to around 1250$...
    X230T 1250$
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    Hmm, nice info scruples, that probably gonna make me not get one yet! maybe wait for slate 8..but then again...the waiting game is infinite...
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    "slightly off topic" but i have good fun handpainting textures with "procreate" on my iphone1
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Lets wait and see what kind of win 8 (pro) tablets we'll be seeing.. I really can't drop 1200 bucks on a glorified laptop.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    I know a few character artist who make use of the samsung slate with the built in wacom digitizer. They have used it for photoshop and zbrush...while it wont replace a desktop by any means, it allows them to knock out enough work to be usable when on the road or even in workshops.

Asus is releasing one as well in 2013 that should compete with the samsung.
  • womball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.acer.com/aspires7/en_US/

The acer s7 ultrabook has a 10 point touchscreen on a laptop. Not sure if its a wacom level. Its being promoted by a cg character Megan Fox. The specs are similar to the Ugly IBM one. That so far seems the best bet right now. Its like 1600 the IBM with a SSD drive, which should improve battery life over a RPM style harddrive.
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Someone figured out we don't need a trackpad and touchscreen at the same time!
    Sony Vaio Duo 11, 1080p screen, i5 or i7 HD4000 wacom digitizer 1100$, but I would expect the i7 variant to cost a couple hundred more...I am going to do some more research on it but I like the form factor specs and price isn't terribad.
  • Bertmac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bertmac polycounter lvl 17
    i would go for the Lenovo they are so strong. i cary mine everywhere (+ i am a mac man this is my first pc. And yes i know its as ugly as hell, but i can away from my desk anytime)

I have the x220T with i7 8 gig ssd w7 and aoutdoor screen.
    And its ok to run Maya Zbrush and Photoshop together.
    but as soon as i start using marmoset or xnormal for instance with these apps. it dies on gpu

So yeah vido card is a problem. but all the apps run fine separately accept udk (hahah)

Before this i had a touchscreen + pen combo x201T. but i never used the touch (only with browsing)
    So now i have an outdoor screen, this is so much better if you wanna work outside
    The Pen works perfect, I think its 512 or 1024 not sure but good enuff

But for real, i bought this as an xtra. so i can work in the train or outside. i would never buy this as my main setup.
    All the serious stuff is still done on my desktop

hope this helps
    Bertmacx

PS battery is pretty cool. Specially if you buy the big one or the super big one. But that would make it heavy again ). With that if i work in PS or zbrush and on battery mode it can handle 7 hours easy.(started with 8.5)
  • Krypteia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Samsung has released (or soon releasing? Supposed to be out October 26th with Windows 8 ) the update to/next Series 7 slate - now called the Samsung ATIV Smart PC Pro (700T):

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/tablet-pcs/XE700T1C-A01US

- Convertible format: tablet docks in to included keyboard (which now has slot for the S-Pen
    - Active Wacom digitizer, comes with S-Pen which supports 1024 levels of pressure sensitivty
    - Third generation (Ivy Bridge) i5 CPU
    - 4 gigs of RAM
    - 1920x1080 resolution
    - Intel HD 4000 graphics
    - 128 gig SSD
    - Reported 8 hours battery life
    - $1199 starting price
    - Windows 8
    - Sexy black

There's some 3g/4g talk out there I believe too, and a rumor of an i7 version - but maybe not on the US model (or at all regarding the i7 deal)? Maybe there's a SIM slot that a card can be put in, or you could use a USB dongle if you really wanted....

Anyway, I really want to buy this computer when I can afford it - wanted the Series 7 slate originally, and this just seems to have improved on it.

EDIT: I'm not sure about using the S-Pen as a regular stylus in a Windows environment though - as in will it work with Zbrush, Blender, Photoshop, etc. Anybody have any idea?
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    ugh, I wish they would launch something with Nvidia instead of the Intel HD ones. I have myself a Samsung Slate 7 and it IS great, but some GPU power would definately help.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    I use an intuos 4. Its good enough for me. It sure is cheaper than any other alternative.
  • womball
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    6GB of Ram is nice - no pen support though?
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    womball wrote: »

I don't think that supports a stylus/pressure sensitivity/active digitizer, whatever you wanna call it.
  • DavePhipps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavePhipps polycounter lvl 7
    The last one I saw with a GPU was the HP tx2500. It had an ATI HD3000 in it.
    I know the new tablets are expensive but frankly drawing directly on the screen has definite advantages. I can sketch and sculpt all day on my old TC4400 and it just feels natural. There is an odd disconnect when using my Intuos on my desktop. There is always the Cintiq but it cost almost 2000 bucks and isn't very portable.
  • Goat Justice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goat Justice polycounter lvl 10
    I've had a Samsung 7 Slate for a few months, and so far it's been a very usable Photoshop machine. ZBrush also seems to work well, but I haven't really had a reason to do any extensive sculpting lately. There could be snags I havn't hit yet. Auto Hotkey and Art Dock are a must since you won't want to use the onscreen KB for hotkeys.

A warning though... getting the stylus pressure sensitivity to work can be a real pain in the ass. For some reason the out of the box setup has it disabled. I spent a few afternoons installing and removing various drivers till I got it to work. What finally worked for me was first installing Samsung's latest, then Wacom's most recent drivers second. Cant say why, but that got things working properly.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've got an X220, not the tablet version just the standard one(but with the IPS screen), and I would highly recommend the X220T or X230T. I don't really do 3d work on it, but do some heavy 2d editing(photo processing) which the I5 handles impressively well. You can get a faster I7, would I bet would be ok for some 3d work even with the nvidia GPU, not real heavy work but I bet it would be manageable.
  • womball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For 3d it would be nice to sculpt the major and secondary forms. Some colors would be nice too for rough lay outs. This would be great for working with real life sculpting sessions. Tertiary I would assume you need more power.

With my old sager 17" monster laptop, I used to use blender to sculpt out anatomy from real life. This was like 6 years. This was in a clay sculpting workshop. I was allergic to the clay they were using and had troulbe controlling it. Scuplty was much easier than that oil clay. But the clay particles eventually caused my laptop to start to steam after awhile. Crazy experience!
  • XilenceX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XilenceX polycounter lvl 10
    For quite a while now ppl were saying wait for the Windows 8 tablets. Well now some of them are here like the ATIV Smart PC Pro. Most of the others can be PreOrdered and have their specs laid out. So what would be the best option for on-screen game art creation now?

My plan is to get a Tablet PC in the 700-1000Euro range. That would be the Cintiq 12WX price range depending on whether it's used or new.
    Is an i5 processor required to run PS (up to 8k res) and ZBrush (up to 1Mil poly) properly?!?
    Or would the much cheaper Intel Atom Z2760 models suffice?
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Just seen this topic , hope its pk to revive it after 2years but .... I wanted to ask if you think the dell xps 12 is any good and has active and passive touch screen and if works with wacom digitizers?

I would add to that also the samsung ativ q and microsoft surface pro 2 , vaio duo 13.