Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sig Sauer P250 handgun [WIP]

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
Working on a Sig Sauer P250. Finished the high poly and now reworking the base mesh for a low poly. Planning on working in the micro-details with nDo2.

Occlusion renders to better analyze the model and material renders for concept. I'm thinking I might make the gun two-tone just so the model isn't so dang dark but I'd like to get some opinions. Personally, I'm more partial to monochromatic weapons but I worry about the final piece being too boring.

reference:
k1izH.jpg

occlusion:
iV7E4.jpg
LnHUJ.jpg

mat renders:
m4iM3.jpg

Replies

• JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished my first texture pass and I think I'm more keen on the darker slide. I'm happy with the material definition but I am still figuring out what to scratch and where, so I can add more visual interest.

ll0RE.jpg
  • hamzaaa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hamzaaa polycounter lvl 11
    I think it looks great, yeah it still looks a little clean. When thinking about where to apply scratching and wearoff, just think of how the weapon is used. Where will the hand and the fingers be sitting to rub off material or what parts may slowly be scratched by shooting. Stuff like that!
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    looks good, the most worn piece would be the mag.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    well you've got the silhouette kind of there.. overall it seems way too soft.
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hamzaaa, I put a bit of discoloration wear around the grip but let me know if that doesn't look quite right. I played a bit of Battlefield 3 earlier and saw that where I usually painted edges with scratches, they photo source the hell out of border edges with rough scratches. The flashlight illustrates my attempt at that.

S_ource, you were absolutely right about the magazines. Those things drove me crazy though trying realistically work with the unique shapes and toy with diffuse, spec and gloss. I'm curious to hear what you say.

Oriram, You could be right about the soft edges. I have a habit of making my edges too tight but after seeing Racer's famous picture of edge loops applied to the EOTech sight I this was my attempt and loosing up those edges. And this is a fairly ergonomic weapon to try it on but let me know if it still isn't working for ya and I'll see what I can do.

Current progress:
    PixDr.jpg

Thanks a lot for the crit so far, guys! I really appreciate it
  • CyberGameArts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CyberGameArts polycounter lvl 7
    Man, looks good. Personally I am kinda confused on wether you are trying to make this gun worn or clean. The body of the guns looks a bit to cloudy for my taste and I think since ur mag and that Light are pretty worn it would make sense to me to make the slide the same style. For some reason i think the scratches on the Light Attachment dont look right, they seem kinda painted on.(I think thats due to the contrast of worn and non worn pieces you have) Other than that i think its turning out nicely. Of course its sill a WIP, so I might be wrong about everything I just said :P
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    Looks good maybe put some more at the exposed corners. And i think it should be a tad lighter specular on the top of the gun and maybe add some lighter spec at edges to. And the grunge at the receiver looks a bit odd to me in some spots.
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been a while between updates. I had an old friend fly in over the weekend so I entertained the whole time and accomplished very, very little. Anyway, here we are now:

Bzjsg.jpg

Cyber, thanks for all the great crit. I probably should have specified better that my texture was still a work in progress, but you weren't wrong about anything you said. I began with material definition and then began the wear so what you critiqued was that awkward puberty stage. But I'm glad you mentioned the cloudiness of the slide and the scratches on the flashlight; you were dead on and I went in and reworked those areas. Here's hoping it's better!

Source, I played around with some spec values and I think it really enhanced the overall feel, wonderful crit.

Again, thanks for all the crit! I'm still kind of finding my "style" as it were, mixing between Racer's photo sourcing and Millenia's painting, so keep the crits rolling and I'll keep learning!
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Latest progress

2Zcvd.jpg
  • CyberGameArts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, very nice progress. I really like what u did with the mag and the Light, same with the Main body. However the main slide looks like it has the concrete syndrome. Best thing to do i guess is to play around with the Spec and add some unique detail that is just in the spec. I recognize the photo reference u used for the slide, i think I have it myself :P The scratches on the image seem to flow against the direction of your hand painted scratches , maybe play around with the angle and see what you get. Might end up looking totally stupid, but i guess its worth just playing around with it.

Anyways, its lookin sharp and the fact that you are using Maya kinda makes me happy for some reason (to many "Max" guns out there :P)
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the input, Cyber! I swapped the base texture out entirely for something with more omnidirectional scratches, hopefully this doesn't read too concrete-y. I have a history of making my materials come off concrete-y but since my dirt texture is so soft, I need it complimented with something a bit more noisy :/ If it's still not reading right, I'd love some input!

Xc5v3.jpg
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Final renders. Thanks to everybody who helped, it was tremendous!
    fb7x1.jpg
    Mjk5b.jpg
  • CyberGameArts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow really like the end result. Great job :D
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot, cyber! You provided invaluable crit and encouragement.
  • CyberGameArts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man no problem. Love your work. Cant wait to see some more in the future :)