Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Grime District

Replies

• pity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pity polycounter lvl 8
    Snefer wrote: »
    The base texture is more or less clean metal with some light wear on : ) So most of it is from the shader. : )
    How this shader affect the performance? is it expensive?
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Chillydog: haha, thats good, thats kind of the feel im going for.

pity: it is quite heavy on the performance at times, yes.
  • timspanjer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking really nice Snefer.
  • Minato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minato polycounter lvl 5
    I'm not familiar with your work, so I have to ask, are those Post Process Flare/Blooms I'm seeing in those screenshots?...

Edit: Also what is your modeling program?... Modo?
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    The base texture is more or less clean metal with some light wear on : ) So most of it is from the shader. : )

What is this wizardry?!
  • MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    I keep reading about this "shader", but I can't find a good example of it in this thread. Might be that I'm blind, but.. what does this shader do?

Sorry to hear you lost 2 weeks worth of assets, know the speed you model at that's about losing 2 months worth of assets for regular people :p

Really love the work you're putting out and watching your stream is always motivating yet demotivating at the same time.
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TorQue[MoD] polycounter lvl 19
    wow. Absolutely gorgeous! You're seriously one of the best environment artists I've ever seen man and that's saying a lot since I have about 41 in my "Artists" bookmarks folder and have seen hundreds more. Studios have a hard time producing work this good and you're just one person! Your lighting is what really sells everything.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glad people like it!

Minato: A mix of both. The post process isnt working that well though, Im gonna see if I can tweak it, or get rid of it, since I have so little control of it right now. And yes, im modelling in modo : )

I will post some pictures of the base texture etc at some point, just havent got around to it, also the shader keeps changing still ^^

Tiiny teeny update, some new stuff, the doorway i was modelling when i streamed last time aswell aswell as another interior shot.

fps31.jpg
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    Yeah i am definitely loving the star wars vibe i'm getting from these spaces!
  • cupsster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cupsster polycounter lvl 11
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is another short clip with some random environment animations and stuff! Been going back to the drawingboard a bit on some areas to make them less boring, and im still redoingsome of the stuff I lost, but its progressing atleast : )

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ViH6q3C8AA"]The grime district WIP 2 - YouTube[/ame]
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    madness. Freakin love the alley shots. Seriously incredible work.
    The shop scene is too noisy for me. I think there is too much grime and too much detail density in the wall and floors. Maybe use larger tiles? Its like everything from the desk to the floors to the walls to the ceiling are made by 2x3ft tiles... its just reads weird.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    <3 that door from pst 112 (plus everything else heh x] )
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    Love the doorway, mind showing us your texture sheets?
  • djoexe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    djoexe polycounter lvl 7
    Quick question Snefer : Do you make your placement of your meshes straight in maya or you place all your stuff once its in UDK ?
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica: Thanks! ^^

roosterMAP: thanks! I hear ya, I think part of the problem in the shop is that right now the shelves and the "stuff" is just boxes etc, and they are very noisy, and overlaying on the wals. Later I will have some posters etc that will give some cleaner surfaces in there, also I will try to push the stuff like wires and pipes further out towards corners etc and creating some clenaner spaces on the walls. Also might push the grime in the vertexpaint a bit further towards the edges. Thanks for the crits!

Zepic: I will, sofar there is only one, and i need to make another push and texture it properly and fill it out, still has some space left on it : )

djoexe: I place all my stuff in UDK, also i use modo, not maya : )
  • Kyuuu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Insane stuff! Those alleyways are amazing and everything looks even better animated!
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some random shots from some new hallways i have been working on, aswell as an early test of my modular background-ships I will fill the skyline with : )

fps33.jpg
    fps32.jpg
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TorQue[MoD] polycounter lvl 19
    Everything looks amazing! Its really hard to critique anything you do :P
  • rambooze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rambooze polycounter lvl 7
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    Did you use ndo for those ships? I think I remember you saying you were going to do that. How did that turn out? Can't really tell as it's mostly in shadow, but if this is the angle you're seeing them at it looks like it works!

Inspiring as always
  • futurepoly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks insane, is the lighting a mix of dynamic and baked or does udk have an all dynamic option?
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rambooze: wat? : D
    wester: yeah, the ships are made with ndo, but im gonna do a detail pass on them on top of that actually, and need to work some more on that texture, its still very rought, and the diffuse/blendmasks are not there yet. Also need to sort out a bunch of stuff with the ships and their shaders, but it looks good enough for a test so I know itll work, you wont see them too upclose except in motion : )
    futurepoly: thanks! The lighting is 100% dynamic, no baked whatsoever : )
  • rambooze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rambooze polycounter lvl 7
    @Snefer: I'm running out of words :) It's awesome keep rocking.
  • Yuke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yuke polycounter lvl 5
    Wow! You one-up yourself with each new project Snefer, this is amazing! Really digging the entire scene and your material skills are just.. awesomes!
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Doing anything with dDo?
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rambooze: haha, thanks!
    Yuke: thanks!
    Computron: nope, not yet, but im planning to use it alot, when i start making the custom textures, sofar its just one really.

edit: oh, also im playing around a bit with the light atm, trying to get the hang of this a bit better.
    fps34.jpg
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been adding some new areas to my scene, will probably do another stream soon, have been a bit busy lately : D

fps35.jpg
  • Akimine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Akimine polycounter lvl 18
    This is awesome, I can't wait for your next stream <3
  • ivan0v
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks good for only dynamic lights in UDK, so no lightmaps you say...hmmm...interesting.
  • pity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pity polycounter lvl 8
    The lighting is 100% dynamic, no baked whatsoever : )
    How to setup this lighting? Did you convert all the static meshes to movers and turned off the lighting environment component for them?
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pity: no its just static meshes but they are only affected by the dynamic channel, all the lights are dynamic lights, mostly moveables, using the DX11 deffered renderer.

Have been reaally busy lately, but here is a small clip of people walking around, standing around, animation and rigging done by the awesome Markus Hammarstedt! ^^ Obv placeholder models, but still, its aliiive!
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LtHmDRGz-0&amp;&quot;]The grime district WIP3 - YouTube[/ame]
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice! masterful work.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! Now I just have to..build all the characters aswell, which should be very interesting ^^
  • Fnitrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fnitrox polycounter lvl 6
    sweet as ever...

if'd have to crit something it would be that some of the effects (smoke and lights) are a bit too fast. particularly in the shop scene it really looks too busy but not the "grungy" cyberpunk busy... more like las vegas busy if you get what i mean xD
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fnitrox: yeah, the smoke is not really good at the moment, alot of the smoke effects are placeholders from older screens with a different scale so they are a bit funky : D Also the lighting overall is pretty shitty, still trying to wrap my head around it, kinda wish I hadnt gone for dynamic lighting.

Long time no update, I have added tons to the scene, but its here and there so its hard to single out, here are some shots from some walkways I have added, will be full of stores and stuff, and not just empty hallways.

fps36.jpg
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The main problem I see is that the street scenes comes off as a bit flat. The main reason is due to the fact that there is a lot of noise, and the silhouettes of your models are getting lost in the similar colors and similar detail density of the crap behind them.

Also, in the top pic, there is a slight composition problem. You have a foreground that is too unsubstantial to merit being the subject of the foreground (railings), and no real midground or background. It looks like the only thing really giving depth is the use of distance fog and dof; which is not enough. Perhaps if you made everything on the left side of the street (past the green light) less cluttered, and gave is a large subject...

Also, with all these interesting shapes, you are missing the opportunity to have them cast large shadows; another tool which could end up giving the street more depth.

Anyhow, I hope that all makes sense. Taking each pic and breaking it apart reveals an astonishing level of detail and care, but in the grand scheme of things, a lot of it gets lost in the busyness.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RoosterMap:
    Yeah, the shadows are a bit of a problem when dealing with the dynamic lighting, still haven't figured that part out really, and for the composition of things, I just take random screens from different angles, so the composition isnt really... thought out from those angles ^^ Looks better from the ground atleast :D

made a quick prop when streaming, the holographic sign part is a placeholder : )

SpeedPillar.jpg
  • PhoenixWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhoenixWolf polycounter lvl 9
    what is your setup for HP renders?
  • tac0m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tac0m polycounter lvl 6
    Have my children... for me... pleeeeeeaaaaseeee?

edit: That's sounds really creepy... GOOD JOB BUD!
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    damn modo hp renders always look so good. and so much faster than max. lol
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Been following this for a while, looks pretty cool! Got some crits though:

1) How far are you planning to take these buildings? Are they supposed to be semi-final or just mockups right now? It's kind of hard to make out exactly what they are because everything looks busy and abstract. Would be nice to have some windows and some hints of their purpose, basically as a way to set them apart from each other.

2) Avoid tiling the same texture too much, it gets obvious pretty fast (for example that big long trim that runs along the buildings)

3) Composition needs some work too. Your detail placement is very uneven which in turn helps to make everything look even more busy. Try to have some pockets of details here and there instead of details everywhere and some areas of rest.

4) Focus/hero buildings. Are you planning to have any in the level? Those would go a long way to help get rid of the "UT3k kit bashed" modular feeling. Architecture could also be a bit more interesting, with balconies, windows, etc

5) Not really a fan of too much shit on floor tiles (as in this screenshot: http://www.torfrick.com/Art/WIP/fps35.jpg). They are supposed to be a surface where people walk on and not traps :P

Hope that helps!
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My setup for renders changes for every render basically. Its really nothing fancy, standard GI with some gradient background, a bit of ambient occlusion and one light, too lazy to do something fancy ^^

Thiago, im planning to take the buildings quite far, some buildings are close to final, some are just placeholders, kinda hard to tell everything apart right now, which adds to the mess and noise. I have just started to add more architechural variation, like windows etc in the last few updates, but yeah, its something im aware of, right now everything is kinda... wierd, just scifi buildings without function, but im trying to go through them and create new variations to give everything a sense of purpose.

I cant really avoid using the same texture since everything is built using the same one right now, but that is also something that Ill go through and cover up later on when I have time, hopefully it wont be as noticable once I have things like custom signs and setdressing on top of the base shells of the buildings. Composition is really off right now, thats true, some areas I have built to almost full detail, some of them are still placeholder buildings etc, so its really uneven and unpolished right now aswell ^^

Focal/hero buildings will be in, yes, but none of them are past mockup stage. I should really post a video with a walkthrough from FPS-perspective to show it off in a better state, posting random shots from different angles doesnt seem to be the best idea : D But all in all, very accurate observations, I just hope that what I have in my head right now will solve most of those issues, thnx : D
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great work tor!
  • ZombieWells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZombieWells polycounter lvl 12
    That is an incredible amount of work! and it looks fantastic.
  • Grorum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good work, textures look nice. I especially like the car, it has something "blade runnerish"..
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Here is a new video of me walking around a bit in the level, tons of stuff needs fixing, postprocessing looks a bit messy here aswell >_<

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il2PNEGFX7U&quot;]The Grime District WIP 4 - YouTube[/ame]
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    barnesy polycounter lvl 9
    This is amazing! I can't believe how much you have made since you started it. You seem to have no weaknesses, it's crazy. You should open your own game studio haha
  • joshmtyler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joshmtyler polycounter lvl 5
    Pitch this to as many people as you can NOW! I'm sure there are already some big names watching this post. I hope to see this game someday!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'm getting a bit of a rage vibe from this, I love how much detail and all the animations added to the scene, it really feels alive.