polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10

Replies

• Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Depends what quality you want to aim for, but I found this very inspirational - a talk about making games by Sophie Houlden: http://www.sophiehoulden.com/unity-tutorials-bcs-talk-at-glasgow-caledonian/#more-122

Pippin Barr is also a very inspirational source: http://www.pippinbarr.com/inininoutoutout/

Both take a very down to earth approach, first focusing on gameplay vs. visuals so they get their games idea along, although Pippin's games are rather experimental when questioning well established game design patterns in his games.

I would suggest following this route. Start small. Get experience in translating your designs into an actual game. Once you get this process down think of adding art. Art is just polish, especially for most indie games. Popcap once showed their first plants vs. Zombies prototypes and they had "MS Paint" art in them. They didn't care about the looks - they cared if it's fun to play. So all their team played this game that looked like it was made by a 6 year old. Only after they nailed the controls and design they added the real artwork.
  • Paradan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd like to recommend designing and releasing a level for a game. Many popular titles have an SDK, pick one you like and have a go at it. Make sure you get people to download and play it so they can give you feedback.

Design, and release of a level is kind of like a "mini" development cycle. It's good experience for what to expect when you start making your own game.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chet from Valve had an excellent talk on this very topic that I saw linked the other day. I don't have it on me but the basic message boiled down to, "Make something". Whatever you have in terms of computer power and tools is fine - make something. It's by having finished stuff to show that you can get a job.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
  • cupsster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cupsster polycounter lvl 11
    Balls made of Steel :)
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    ayoub44 wrote: »
    wath i should khnow to make a perfect art in my games ?

Perfect art? What's that?
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    cupsster wrote: »
    Balls made of Steel :)

HAHAHAHA!! That was what I said in my head as soon as I read the question.

But along side a pack ( not a pair youll need more than 2 ) of quality clanking balls:

• Make items for dota / tf2
    • Get into mods
    • Join an indy community or forum.
    • Use basic tools to express your ideas, pencil / paper, flash, gamemaker etc.
    • Don't be afraid of rejection, and or humiliation.
    • Don't ever stop when someone tells you your ideas suck, persist.
    • Immerse yourself as much into the making of games and designing them as you can playing games.
    • Start simple, and dont be afraid if its the same thing everyone else has made ie tetris / pong etc.
    • Proove you can finish something (start simple) <-- this is huge.
    • Start right now.
    • Dont ever stop.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And again, finish things. The world is full of people who start projects. That's not rare. What's rare are the people who finish projects and THOSE are the people who get the jobs.