Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Medieval House

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Fwap polycounter lvl 13
Hello's

Sorry in advance for the TLDR;

I've recently took it upon my self to get my shit together and apply for some UNI courses, i didn't think too far ahead and forgot that i'd probably need a portfolio to take along to school interviews, which are coming in steadily now.

I'm a really lazy person and if procrastination was a job, i'd be a multi-billion dollar CEO, But alas i'm sticking my head down and actually going to finish something i star and do it properly for once...i hope.

i'm going to start with a portfolio piece i can show the schools, and i'm going to stick to something i'm comfortable with because time is running out on securing a spot before the end of the application period.

Now, I've never done pre-production, or planing of anything ever. Which I've come to understand is the reason why i get lost in some of the work i do and give up but without further a due i present to you my reference sheet and block out of a medieval house.

Reference:
refsheet.png

Rough Block out:
blockout.png

i'm going to keep it fairly modular, do sculpting in zbrush as apposed to diffuse>normal generation ect.

If time allows me too, i'll make a number of variant houses as well. but i'll see how i go.

I've started to mock up a texture atlas too:
textureatlas.png
I'm still weighing up how to do variance in the textures, i bet i'll have a bit of free space at the end to make variants of the textures, but i'm also weighing up the option of decals as either texture or unique geo or both!

As stated before, I've never done planning of any sort, and I am just winging it based off what i've seen through PC.

Any tips or crits will be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• MrRik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrRik polycounter lvl 7
    maybe make some drawings about how your house is going too look like because at this point the blockout doenst say much.
  • m1neh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pending the amount of polys you're going to use, vertex painting on some dirt diffuse/spec and painting normal intensity should break it up a fair amount.

Probably want trims/patterns on the tex sheet, and make your current blocks larger.

Give the blockout more character + shape.

Check out the guys doing the arenanet environment art test, as they are basically doing low poly versions of this type of house, with the timber structure.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    m1neh wrote: »
    pending the amount of polys you're going to use, vertex painting on some dirt diffuse/spec and painting normal intensity should break it up a fair amount.

Probably want trims/patterns on the tex sheet, and make your current blocks larger.

I agree with this. A lot of the reference pictures have simple materials where you can get by with 1 or 2 variants of any given type(wood, stucco, bricks, etc).

But first, I'd try to get more of a design down for the house and then go over it and do a breakdown for materials and models, that way you can get a better understanding for your texture sheet and resize accordingly.
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    Hey guys thanks for the tips and suggestions, i started to refine the block out a bit more.

Not sure if im going over kill with the block out or not, the center building is still un touched, i'm still working out if i like the shape of it yet.

blockout2.png