Home General Discussion

dDo...new tool from Quixel

Replies

• eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Next up we're going to be told the model was actually generated in dDo as well!

conspiracy-keanu.jpg?1321901003
  • 3devo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3devo polycounter lvl 12
    if i'd hazard a guess, a tool to create normal maps by stamping down decals, which is nice but probably not its only function. watching this space with interest thats for sure.
  • |Buddy|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    |Buddy| polycounter lvl 11
    MAKE ART BUTTON / taking art out of art / job killer / let the hate unfold
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    I still think microsoft word needs an edit > make it better function ;)

Will be interesting if 2d artists start releasing packs of decals specifically for this tool.
  • Karaoke_Warrior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Karaoke_Warrior polycounter lvl 13
    This looks gnarly. When can we expect a demo?
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow can save a butt ton of time, love it
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld wrote: »
    Next up we're going to be told the model was actually generated in dDo as well!

conspiracy-keanu.jpg?1321901003

Its the next step
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Oniram wrote: »
    yeah im wondering as well if this is standalone or at least integrated with nDo. nDo does tend to bog down my machine sometimes, so having a second program open with photoshop may make things difficult. regardless though im really interested to see what this does.

also

yeah.. my thoughts exactly
    CS6 has been the only PS not to bog me down so far with nDo open, I did some tests with earlier version, and it's a PS problem from what I figured.

It also helps if you work only on one texture at a time, and have only the textures you need displayed on the mesh.

I also hope dDo has some shader specific baking options, like for example, if I could tell it to switch to a Oren-Nayar shader, and tweak/create a map from there, Fresnel Map, etc.

It wouldn't be hard at all, and it would need to follow the Gloss/Roughness math pretty at most, with only the artist sliding how much black/white each area needs.

Saves me a hell of a time...
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    Not at all. I would say it wont replace texture guys but greatly improves speed to getting to a decent shippable texture or base...

i agree. a tool is only a tool. a better tool will only make a good artist better/faster. it wont help a bad artists improve over night. if that was the case, zbrush would have done that long long ago.

however, there might be lot of abuse of the tool and it may be evident how the texture was created in many cases when/if people get too dependent on the tool.

btw, why is the youtube video having an epileptic seizure ? would love to see a clean video without all the glitches. right now the video is annoying users away more so than teasing them and getting them interested.
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM wrote: »
    i agree. a tool is only a tool. a better tool will only make a good artist better/faster. it wont help a bad artists improve over night. if that was the case, zbrush would have done that long long ago.

however, there might be lot of abuse of the tool and it may be evident how the texture was created in many cases when/if people get too dependent on the tool.

btw, why is the youtube video having an epileptic seizure ? would love to see a clean video without all the glitches. right now the video is annoying users away more so than teasing them and getting them interested.

If thats the case then i think they should remake their video a bit a clear some stuff out. Beacuse to me it seems really confusing.
    My first comment in this thread was simmilar to "this is too good to be true" beacuse of how the video showed to tool, in goes basic colors out comes a perfect texture map with all the details.

Im haveing a real hard time imagining what this tool really does. Id love to see it in action, but if its half as good as ndo its a clear purchase for me.
  • warxsnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warxsnake polycounter lvl 8
    I'd like to test this out, honestly I'm a bit skeptical.
    How does it figure out whats plastic, what's metal, etc. I guess you go define the material per each color region?
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    I think people are taking this video the wrong way... it is a teaser video and not a trailer... therefore the glitchy effects are intentional :p
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah we got that aajohny, thanks.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas wrote: »
    Yeah we got that aajohny, thanks.
    Mm not sure thats true since people are still talking about it. Thanks for letting me know spokesman Andreas.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    aajohnny wrote: »
    I think people are taking this video the wrong way... it is a teaser video and not a trailer... therefore the glitchy effects are intentional :p

yea, the motive behind the fx was clear to me - that is to show a lot but not actually making anything very clear to understand or see?

however, it does not work if that was really the intention. right now, you can just freeze a frame and see what you want to see either way. the fx is not really hiding anything. it just left me annoyed more than interested.

same video without the spastic fx would work much better is keeping viewer's attention.

btw, even though the shine plugin has been used to death the glitchy fx look decent and could have worked better if used conservatively.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I understand, I apologize if I came off as rude it was not my intent at all, I wasn't speaking to you specifically but yeah I can see why the effects can be distracting.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're very welcome nDo spokesman Johhny. See you at the spokesman brunch on Sunday.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    yeah, presentation doesn't really tell me anything about the tool.
    It's like 'NEW NEW SHINEY... FLAASH SHINY, wub wub'

It would be much nicer to have some concrete details. some of those maps being generated i wouldnt trust to automatic systems.
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    its a teaser .. its supposed to be 'NEW NEW SHINEY... FLAASH SHINY, wub wub'

your interested now so the hook has worked. its now time for some more details about the product.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas wrote: »
    You're very welcome nDo spokesman Johhny. See you at the spokesman brunch on Sunday.
    Thank you, I heard its supposed to be great ! :p
  • yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yodude87 polycounter lvl 5
    dungeons and dragons online :O
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    yeah, presentation doesn't really tell me anything about the tool.
    It's like 'NEW NEW SHINEY... FLAASH SHINY, wub wub'

It would be much nicer to have some concrete details. some of those maps being generated i wouldnt trust to automatic systems.

Totally agree. While it's a teaser it's not the latest blockbuster movie or game or whatnot it's a professional tool for artists. This intrigued me but the zbrush videos where I could clearly see what was happening were still mind-blowing.

I've always been of the opinion that if you can have your cake and eat it too, then please do and don't go giving your audience something more to complain about. After all they will find such things anyway.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    CS6 has been the only PS not to bog me down so far with nDo open, I did some tests with earlier version, and it's a PS problem from what I figured.

It also helps if you work only on one texture at a time, and have only the textures you need displayed on the mesh.

interesting to hear that cs6 is does well with the plugin. however its only been very recent since i realized about the zip option to "compress" the group folders.. and that has made things slightly more bearable. typically though i only see performance issues (in cs5) when making normal maps that have a dozen+ layers. doing simple converts and such never boggs down. it also helps when i keep the model previewer off.
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xXm0RpH3usXx polycounter lvl 13
    also, in my opinion, the trailer works against them.
    as they dont show much people are speculating and hoping, just look at this thread.
    if its not what people want they'll be disappointed...

whereas, if they would have shown what it is all about people would have been pleasantly surprised...
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xXm0RpH3usXx: Are you saying I will be disappointed since I am expecting a make art button? :/

In all seriousness I agree, the action film style teaser has to little to show.
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, you will be like a little baby crying, if the lollipop doesnt taste as you wish!

...i guess
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's always the way it goes.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    also, in my opinion, the trailer works against them.
    as they dont show much people are speculating and hoping, just look at this thread.
    if its not what people want they'll be disappointed...

whereas, if they would have shown what it is all about people would have been pleasantly surprised...

Isn't that a good thing? It creates hype, and not only that it creates a non voluntary brainstorm session, so they can take ideas from.
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    for brainstorming he could have just made it an open beta, just as nDo1.
    no need to do that secretly through lurking this thread.

also, the ideas sparking now are way to broad. one expects it to render normal maps and wishes a certain feature, the other one thinks it will be something totally different and suggests features for "his dream program"

Nobody of them even cared to post either on chchannel.com nor on maxunderground.com, which are (at least for me) the main two news sites i go about industry specific news.
    And if they'd be after a hype, they would have needed to at least announce it here and on cgtalk or something...
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    [HP] wrote: »
    Isn't that a good thing? It creates hype, and not only that it creates a non voluntary brainstorm session, so they can take ideas from.
    I have yet to see a single software which 'hyped' it's product, then took the speculation and brainstorm, and implemented in the final product. I mean just a single one! Not even Blender does this unless you donate money or make the plug yourself.

I mean what is stopping me right now from saying this is an exact, but prettier looking version of Substance, minus the ability to create your own shaders and from there, create your Roughness, Power, Fresnel, etc maps for your final uber shaders in say something like CE3 or UDK? Maybe the price-tag? But if it required NDO2, then you're paying more? If it MUST use PS, then you're paying ALOT for something that you could get under 300$ somewhere else with both painting and shader tools, with multipurpose exportation.

There is hype, then there is secrecy for no reason. This is the game industry, not XCOM, we're not working for the governments of the world, we should stop giving ourselves such importance for no reason. All it would take it a single Solar Explosion to send us back to the stone age, lets see how our 'fancy videos' which explained nothing will help us then.
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    plus it is layer based, not utilizing nodes...
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Posting links to leaked/pirated software is not something we will tolerate on polycount, any user doing so will be immediately banned.

Have some respect for your fellow developers.
  • l.croxton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    From what I could see it looks very much like texture map tweaker. I am by no means a tech artist or really a fully fledged 3D artist. However my guess would be it would work something similiar to a real time texture baking piece of software. So maybe they have a lighting system built in which would then work with a height map or something.

So I wouldnt say its a "hit button to make awesome art", however I think its very much a "hit button to finish" minus the possibly tweaking if needed.

I cant see it replacing a decent artist as they will be able to maximise the softwares potential, however it could mean that artists can do more by doing less.
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    I have yet to see a single software which 'hyped' it's product, then took the speculation and brainstorm, and implemented in the final product. I mean just a single one! Not even Blender does this unless you donate money or make the plug yourself.

I mean what is stopping me right now from saying this is an exact, but prettier looking version of Substance, minus the ability to create your own shaders and from there, create your Roughness, Power, Fresnel, etc maps for your final uber shaders in say something like CE3 or UDK? Maybe the price-tag? But if it required NDO2, then you're paying more? If it MUST use PS, then you're paying ALOT for something that you could get under 300$ somewhere else with both painting and shader tools, with multipurpose exportation.

There is hype, then there is secrecy for no reason. This is the game industry, not XCOM, we're not working for the governments of the world, we should stop giving ourselves such importance for no reason. All it would take it a single Solar Explosion to send us back to the stone age, lets see how our 'fancy videos' which explained nothing will help us then.

The thing about substance designer (for me so far) is that it's user interface is a little wonky and the documentation I've been able to find so far has left me and my team a bit dead in the water when it comes to using it. It's so foreign to what artists are used to dealing with, perhaps dDo will step in and provide a more simplistic approach.

Now I wont be giving up on substance designer because I believe it's a very powerful tool and I want to learn to use it, but I do have to say a way to crank production out more efficiently in a way that I'm already used to while I learn how to use substance designer would be nice.

I may have miss-understood you but...
    You talk about the ability to create roughness, power and Fresnel maps in substance, but we don't know for sure that dDo doesn't do the same yet.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    There is hype, then there is secrecy for no reason. This is the game industry, not XCOM, we're not working for the governments of the world

are you saying that iris scan we have at my studio to open doors is useless...?!
  • Joopson
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    It's kind of ridiculous hearing people at my school. They think this will seriously be the end of texture artists, and that this really will be a "Make Texture" button.
    No matter how cool it is, it won't take out the need for a good artist.
    I wish they'd release a real video soon. It's been too long.
    So much disinformation is around. So now they'll be risking disappointing people who thought it would be something more.

I'm curious, of course, and excited, but I really don't understand why all my fellow students are so ridiculously excited about the "possibility" of part of their job going away. Texturing is part of the process! If they dislike doing it so much, why would they want to do game art for a living?
  • CordellC
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    CordellC polycounter lvl 11
    Not to mention art styles that do not require grime or dirt (or at least a very minimal amount).
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Joopson wrote: »
    I really don't understand why all my fellow students are so ridiculously excited about the "possibility" of part of their job going away. Texturing is part of the process! If they dislike doing it so much, why would they want to do game art for a living?

The majority of students are lazy people who actually just want to play video games all day long. Or be "idea guys" instead of making art. At least that was how a lot of students at my school were.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe we're all just looking forward to a little less unpaid overtime :P
  • JValencia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JValencia polycounter lvl 10
    Joopson wrote: »
    It's kind of ridiculous hearing people at my school. They think this will seriously be the end of texture artists, and that this really will be a "Make Texture" button.
    No matter how cool it is, it won't take out the need for a good artist.
    I wish they'd release a real video soon. It's been too long.
    So much disinformation is around. So now they'll be risking disappointing people who thought it would be something more.

I'm curious, of course, and excited, but I really don't understand why all my fellow students are so ridiculously excited about the "possibility" of part of their job going away. Texturing is part of the process! If they dislike doing it so much, why would they want to do game art for a living?

My thoughts exactly, Joopson.

But it really depends on what the viewer expects from this new program:
    1. "I am not good at texturing, so I hope this tool does it for me so that I don't have to!"
    2. "I feel I am already good/ok at the texturing process, so hopefully this tool will allow me to
      • rapidly iterate on my W.I.P. texture to find a 'look' I like before I move forward with it."
      • produce work at a faster rate."
      • push my textures to the next level."
    3. "Perhaps this tool will allow me to approach texturing from an entirely new perspective? Sounds good to me!"

I welcome any new tool that will facilitate our workflow; Faster iteration/production times ultimately free up time for other things!

To quote a great man (I forget his name, but I'm pretty sure this is what he said):
    "Did you ever think there's more to life than making really, really, ridiculously good looking textures?"
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHHEcmZtJvY"]Really really really ridiculously good looking - YouTube[/ame]

But if you want this program to do the texturing process for you, well....that ultimately isn't swell for your core art skills, buddy. That would actually hurt you more than it would help.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    i can see this tool being more important to non-texture-artists.

an art manager might see this as a quick fix tool where adding a new artist to the roster might be overkill and not cost effective.

a programmer working on his/her own game might find this helpful on the art side.
  • mats effect
  • gsokol
  • J0NNYquid
  • KarlWrang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KarlWrang polycounter lvl 6
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    So should we find a new job ... ? I will take metal welding classes... Just in case they make whole model generator.
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    so what's happening here exactly?
    from that video i gather you:
    -create mask
    -????
    -instant color map?
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    i would assume that you need to make a RGB mask that follows specific guidelines for materials. (i.e. all blue parts of the color mask were metals). then it reads that and generates the different types of materials based on the colors of the mask?
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    Congtrats on the release!
    MikeF wrote: »
    so what's happening here exactly?
    from that video i gather you:
    -create mask
    -????
    -instant color map?

"Quixel presents dDo: insta-texturing straight in Photoshop."

btw, did polycount just crash their site ?