Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

new characters that i'll definitely 100% finish... probably

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
So here's some poop I've been working on for the last few days. If you can guess the characters then that's awesome ^^ (and if not it means I suck :P).
I'm trying to go alot more basemesh heavy on these too. I'm finding shit turns out alot cleaner and it's something I gotta work on.
Super rough first pass on the first one, plain basemeshies on the second and first pass on link too.

Also SD link is totes me just ripping off Marty Seefeldt's awsome pic (http://cghub.com/images/view/135109/). Just had to do somthing fun and cute on saturday, help break up the "realistic-ish" chars.

01a.jpg

01a1.jpg

01b.jpg

Replies

• MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Those triangle folds in the elbow pit and on the jeans on the first guy are the hardest shapes for me to sculpt, could you go over how you did them?

They look great!
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    nice cloth work so far.

the legs on Morgan looks a tad bit short to me. it could be the length of the jacket throwing me off but still you may wanna double check it.
  • traumwelt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i love the little elf he's so damn cute, hope you'll finish it
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome. That first guys jacket is sweet.
  • retleks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    retleks polycounter lvl 18
    His arms feel short, but it could be the placement of the fold. Really clean work.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Oh my godddd, the little Link is so effing cute!!! Please finish him up! :)
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woot, great stuff as usual :D
  • lamar McHaney
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lamar McHaney polycounter lvl 9
    Nice looking characters.
  • Guedin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guedin polycounter lvl 11
    Sooo, there's 100% of chance you'll finish this ? Yay ! I want a wallpaper with those 3 char on it. With Morgan Freeman holding the chibi link :D
    Great work
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    If you don't finish these I swear to god man I will destroy you.
    DIGGIN DIS STUFF YO
  • afisher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    afisher polycounter lvl 6
    Looking great bro. Digging them folds. I agree with MM about the legs. Hope you get these finished!
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    More Heather Mason, please! Great stuff
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frell: thanks man. I guess i could sculpt out a cylinder and take some pics, ill try tommorow (its really just the standard brush with lazy mouse, sculpting out triangles then cutting into the center of it between the two highest points).
    MM: yay thank you, good call on the leg length (and that you got morgan freeman ^^).
    traumwelt: cheers. all credit should go to marty for making such an awesome concept :)
    nyx702: thank you
    retleks: good point, i tried pulling up the inner elbow folds a bit. They were starting too low which might've thrown things off (hopefully better)
    Jess: haha cheers, will do :P
    bbob: thanks man ^^ (haven't seen you around in a while :3)
    Iamar: ta :)
    Guedin: that would make the greatest character ever : D (and i'll finish if you finish your two latest character ;) )
    ceebee: not if i destroy you first :poly121: (it's on)
    afisher: totes, same here (awesome to see you still making stuff regularly btw, still back in aus?)
    garriola: yay you got the other one ^_^

thanks for all the replies and feedback.
    Tried fixing captain morgan's proportions, tho i might've made it worse in places. Folds still feel a bit messy in places and i realized i need more proper form in certain areas, mostly around the crotch and butt area. Gotta move onto the head and hands too, where shit gets crazy hard.
    And some really weak polypainting and slight tweaking on heather

02a1.jpg

02b.jpg

01b1.jpg
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    lookin nice man, pants look great. I think the folds at the bend of the arm are too large and too sharp though...
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    Some really nice work here! I like the female head, although the bridge of the nose seems a little flat and angular.
  • JimmyRustler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JimmyRustler polycounter lvl 8
    Damn. Heather looks good, but not quite exactly the same as the original, well, almost perfect.
    I'm doing her too, but much worse than you do.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Nice, some silent hill fanart. I think she's looking a bit too masculine in the face atm. Her jawbone is too large and pronounced. You should post her head without the hair so we can give better feedback.:thumbup:
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace: i tried reducing the inner elbow folds a bit (probs not enough atm). I totes get what you mean tho, should be softer considering th material
    SCB: good call, i smoothed and tweaked that bridge area a bunch so i wont forget
    JimmyRustler: haha, thanks man. And i get what you mean, the original version looks sooo damn good ^_^
    Saman: ah yeh, i keep noticing stuff is pulled down a bit much there, ill make sure to slap up more shots in a bit.

Soooooo here's the head. The more i worked on it the less it looked like captain morgan so i dunno what to do :( Might just be a generic old black dude now wearing a cool outfit.
    Hopefully more link tommorow too, wanna do big chunky folds and some cool shader junk on an eventual low poly :)

03a1.jpg

03b.jpg
  • afisher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    afisher polycounter lvl 6
    looking great dude, love that jacket!
    A couple of things that caught my eye. The crease on his left leg, just below the jacket looks slightly out of place, whether it's because it looks a bit deep or if it's because there aren't any other subtle creases next too it I'm not sure. As for ole' capt'n Morgans face, I think the bridge of his nose is a bit too defined and needs to slightly flatter, while the nostrils/wings need to be wider and thicker. Depending on the age you're aiming for, his jawline to chin area could be rounder and the dimple indents could be moved up closer to his cheeks.. here are a few of the images I was looking at:

http://au.eonline.com/eol_images/Entire_Site/20080804/300.2freeman.morgan.080408.jpg
    http://www.kulturekritic.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/13/Morgan-Freeman2.jpg
    http://joanneeven.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/morgan_freeman1.jpg

Anyway that's my 2 cents worth, keep rockin it man. Looking forward to your next update :)
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    afisher: totes man, thanks for the crits ^^ hope i got it working better (i gotta get some final high pol shots actually).

anyways ugh, been super lung sick last 2 weeks, missing a few days of work. Sucks that i'm out of vaca days and shit's painful, but i do get a little bit of time for arts i guess ^^

Did a morgs bake and laid out my base psd (ended with 6.9k tris, maybe bumps up to 7k with mouth interior biz). And finally got back to linku sculpt (just gotta do his hair and some smaller deets). Texturing and shader biz should be really fun :)

04a.jpg

02a2.jpg

02b1.jpg
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    What kind of material(beige)are you using btw? Is this in ZBrush or Mudbox?
  • whw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whw
    These are all looking sweet - instantly recognisable.

Texturing for both Morgan and Heather are off to a great start.

I'd say Morgan has gone a bit hollow around the cheeks so may be worth checking again if it's not too late. And the folds around his butt seem rather harsh for a convex shape - the deep wide creases would either not exist or be not as deep.
  • Jeremy Tabor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Tabor polycounter lvl 13
    Awesome stuff, dude! These show your versatility stylistically.

Keep on keepin on!
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    I really dig your clothing folds! Nice selection of characters you got going on here, and I hope you see them through to the end.
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Oh man, some really nice work Nizza. You Link is oozing attitude, plus that coupled with the style really sends it to another level.

As for your Morgan Freeman piece I've gotta agree that some of the creases/folds are a little strong, especially the elbows and the lower arse area.

Maybe try and take a square of standard blue you find in normal maps onto a new layer over the folds and play with the "fill" in the layer options. That should give you some extra control over the creases, rather than going into zbrush/mudbox again and making the alteration.

Also I'd maybe consider giving him fuller cheeks as well. Just pull the verts out a tad.

Stellar work as all ways mate. keep at it.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83: should be undoz's mudbox style matcaps for zb (google). and im using zb
    whw: ^_^ thanks man. And good call, ill try both tweaking the low pol/maps or just doing a rebake for those areas.
    Jeremy Tabor: thank you
    haikai: haha, same dude (gotta finish at least one thing) :)
    Disarray: ^_^ Aye good idea, will be easier if it can be quickly tweaked on the low pol

Hmm I'm still really sick, waiting for the results of my chest xrays. So been feeling really tired and poots latley, hard to work/focus.
    Did a low pol for link and some base maps. Am super keen to get onto the material setup biz (in udk), and i need a better monitor at home so i can do actual texturing :3

03a.jpg
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man! hope you are feeling better soon! also im lovin the little link, i think maybe his foot could benefit from having the toe pulled forward just a bit. right now it kind of looks like you forgot to do them, as opposed to the stylized nubbins you are going for, otherwise its totally sweet man!

-woog
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Yeah man. Get better and then finish these up. Working while being sick sucks.

Love your link. It's so fun and has so much great details. My only design crit is give him little feel. The stumps are freakin me out o_O
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Haven't looked at your work in a long time man. These all look great, dude, you have really improved a lot from what I remember. Looking forward to seeing more!
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woogs: cheers dude, and totes agreed on the feet, first thing i gotta tweak tommorow morning ^^
    gannon: haha yeh i gotta pull them out a bit :P
    brad: thanks dude, tho i swear i've gotten even worse :P

did some really quick udk experimenting before. No proper textures yet, its just some 32bit mask channels texture things and messing with random values.
    Gotta make sure to texture freeman tommorow too, finishing style :poly142:

(anyone have tips on getting spec hits on eyes facing the camera better (some sort of camera vector junk?), also how to get a decent half lambert setup going?)

03c.jpg
  • MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    That's looking awesome! You've got some funkyness going on at the tip of his sword though.
    Sucks to hear you're sick, hope they'll be able to patch you up after the x-ray results come in.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS: cheers bro ^^ and yeh, normals or somthing be wiggin out in udk for me :(

Anyways, still kinda sick but whatevs. Been messin with udk a bit more, still looks p bad but did just go over the airborne thread with a mini comb and got a lot more i wanna do ^^
    And did some more stuff on morgs and started working on heather again too, so can probs post a little more and start finishing junk propido.

04b.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    you need to bring his eyes closer together, it's coming off more creepy and deformed, than attitudy yet cute.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    Ow I love that little one ^^.

I would say, you should try to do more perfect shapes and clean surfaces. The eyelids for example are not clean, as the hair.

004b.jpg

For the end of the scabbard, maybe some Hpolish could correct that, giving a sharper look.
  • Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    lil link is so cute!

I agree, since this is more of a cartoon / stylized character. I would have the face shape more smooth and clean. Keep it up and get better man!
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    (anyone have tips on getting spec hits on eyes facing the camera better (some sort of camera vector junk?)

Because I am a stupid artist the way I fake it is by shining a dim light right at the face. The illumination on the face itself will be almost negligible (and in some ways it might even help artistically), and the intensity doesn't have to be high to get a decent specular highlight from it. I figure that's probably how photographers do it in real life too. :)

This probably wouldn't work if your character is going to be running around and stuff, but for just a presentation shot it could be an easy solution.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almightygir: kk
    texelion: dude defs ^^ thanks for that, hopefully I can fix with some vert pushing on the weekend, forgot to reexport after the feet changes too :O
    Iciban: totes, ty ^^
    haikai: thats an awsome idea, kinda like sticking those circley lights on the camera in those kpop vids, thanks for that man ^_^

Quick update from last night on fraiman. Still really rough but wanna get some proper stuff done on the weekend.

05a.jpg
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tiny update. Really wanna get morgs done, made some tweaks to teh spec map and the eyes so i can take some fresh pics at home tonight, maybe try some more interesting light cos im not too into it atm.
    And finally resolved some lightmap junk with link and did those mesh tweaks. Gonna make a pedestal, some better mat setup then wrap that up too i hope ^^

And mini update on heather too.

02a.jpg

05b.jpg

05a1.jpg
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Awesome work man. Good likeness on Morgan and those folds are killer.
    Header's forearm might be a bit too short but that might just look like that because of those wristbands she is wearing.
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    Please please rig and pose that link! It's too amazing to stay t posed! Such a n amazing stylized link!
  • PDC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PDC polygon
    Loving the hell out of these!
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    Wow!
    Link looks Amazing!

If Nintendo would do a new Zelda Game with this type of Graphic... what would be very nice! :D
  • MrNinjutsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    Great update, really liking heather. I'll echo what disanki mentioned about the forearm though, just seams a tad bit small.
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duncan polycounter lvl 11
    THESE ARE ACE!

You and Ravenslayer are killing me with your art powers. The two of you are really inspiring me to get better.

Keep going dude, I am super keen to see some more. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Morgan's looking really good. Heather too, although she seems a tad bulkier in the limbs than the game version- which isn't necessarily a bad thing, just different.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Really nice work, loving the link.
  • JimmyRustler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JimmyRustler polycounter lvl 8
    Definitely agree with haikai about Heather.
    Loving all the updates,but I can't really wait to see your finished Heather model, because she's my all time favorite female character.
  • TheGoozah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome stuff. Thx duncan for spotlighting this one on Leslie's Disney Page xD
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Could you write up a quick guide or point to where I can get some info on getting good zbrush renders? I for life of me cannot figure out how to show off my high poly stuff well from zbrush.
  • Mimiws
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mimiws polycounter lvl 6
    Coool :D so much inspiration