Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand Painted and Stylized Stuff

Owl
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Owl polycounter lvl 6
Hey Polycounters! So I did a couple props and textures a few months back after leaving Vigil, while looking for new work. Never had much time to get up here, so now, that I'm a little more settled, figured it was time!

One other artist, Jar3d made the wooden planks and the big rocks in the background. Also, I didn't spend much time on the snow shader... so... Lets just ignore it's ugliness. :)

Also I don't have a close up of the Lantern handy. Could probably dig one up if someone really wanted it... But you can see it pretty good. Cheers!

DpPls.jpg

xBsHt.jpg

xdOeT.jpg

THI16.jpg

vml66.jpg

Lcxrq.jpg

8aNrJ.jpg

Replies

• Macattackk
    Offline / Send Message
    Macattackk polycounter lvl 7
    the tree looks like its made out of stone tiles
  • proximity
    Offline / Send Message
    proximity polycounter lvl 9
    I think you need more blue in your snow, at first i thought it was untextured then i realised it was snow... maybe trying blue in the spec?
  • Swizzle
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    While I can't be 100% certain how you created those rock textures, I can say that I've achieved similar results using the Glowing Edges filter on my normal map in Photoshop to get those edge highlights. One thing I found to be a problem using that method was that I'd get highlights in the crevices as well as the bits that stick out, much like it seems you have.

If you want to get rid of the highlights in the crevices easily, one really quick method is to put your AO pass in a layer mask for your edge highlights and do a levels adjustment so the layer mask is pretty dark. This will get rid of the highlights in the crevices without squashing the highlights on the raised parts. From there, you can hand-tweak things pretty easily.
  • Lord Waffles
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord Waffles polycounter lvl 10
    I love the style, I agree however the tree texture looks a bit like stone.

I'm pretty new to modeling and am doing a personal project doing hand painted textures. I see that you have made tile able textures to use, however i'm not quite sure I fully understand how to apply them. I'm currently learning how to use Maya after pretty much mastering blender. My issue is if I let my engine wrap the texture I first must separate parts of my model. For example a stone house, I can tile a stone wall around the main walls of the house...but it ends up looking boring. When i look at other games the corners of the house may have like stone bricks up the side. (for example the picture below)

dMMJ3t.jpg

I would be very grateful if you would give a very brief explination how you would go about making the house above. Would you throw it into photoshop? Use an external program? Or am I missing something that is probably basic information?

I also really like the style of the wood you made, the lamp and wood is really the style i'm going for in my personal project. Did you hand paint each wood plank? Or did you do like 4 and just reuse them.

I apologize for the questions, I guess i'm just a curious noob xD anyhow great work! I hope to see more possibly in the future!
  • Owl
    Offline / Send Message
    Owl polycounter lvl 6
    Hey guys, thanks for the feedback. I should have probably clarified a little better that the presentation of this stuff is obviously not showcase.. These were just renders out of a UDK test scene where I was trying different stuff, so like the snow texture is not something I made, just a test for the heightmap shader I was trying. And the textures were just thrown on flat geo to see how they looked in UDK.

@ Macattackk - Ya, I wasn't super thrilled about the wood bark... I was going for something really chunky, which I got, I guess! Haven't done a lot of wood textures, so it was a good learning project. BTW, found out, trees are a lot of work.

@ Proximity - Ya, for sure... Actually I didn't do the snow shader... It was thrown on there more as a test for the heightmap shader. But I agree. If I was going to make a scene to show with snow, I would have had to make my own snow texture. :)

@ Swizzle - That is a great I idea. You know, I hadn't really noticed those too much till you pointed them out! Thanks! Especially in the rock wall texture. I actually used crazy bump to get edge highlight maps, and used gradient maps for a lot of the painting color... Both of which likely added the highlights where they shouldn't be.

@ Lord Waffles - As far as tileables. I did a super quick and trashy view of how you might use some tileable textures to make this building. I did several on one sheet, these would be like strip textures. Basically you would use each texture for each spot on the building. Building the bricks as a separate element in Max or object and applying the appropriate texture to each. Because these are on one sheet, they will only tile side to side, but that would work in the case of this building. If you wanted to be able to tile the base brick texture across larger areas, you would want to make on it's own square texture, or you could use it as a strip and cover the seams on the top or bottom of the texture with another row of bricks. Which is why I left the roof off this sheet, because I would probably make it it's own square texture.

I should maybe add, that with the way I'm showing you would have to reuse the same brick strips to texture the tops and bottom of them as well, unless the geo was only sticking out from the wall a little. Either way can work. Just depends on what you're aiming for and how the texture is made.

That's a super simple and quick explanation. If it didn't make a lot of sense, let me know. :)

tgFRE.jpg
  • traumwelt
  • Jessica Dinh
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    This scene is looking great, especially with the heightmap painting:)! I actually quite like the tree texture too (especially the leaves, I like the iridescent-y colors). Perhaps add more grain/tree-like knot shapes so that it will look more like wood, but the chunky feel is rather nice and unique. Can't wait to see more :D
  • Lord Waffles
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the reply! My knowledge of other 3D software is very very limited. From what I understand is you are able to assign parts of a model with a 'strip texture'? I think my confusion is in that house example I would have lets say a 4 polygon square for the walls. How I would go about doing that is exporting the UVs to photoshop, then I would make 4 copies of the tile able texture and scale it down and put it on each of the 4 polygons. I would then make another layer in which I would create the bricks and I would place them on each of the corner seams. The problem with that is if I had created a normal map for that texture, I would have to scale each of the walls normal maps to the size of each walls texture and then save the image as the normal map. The other issue is that the quality of the wall texture severely decreases when you have 4 textures next to each other on a 2048 x 2048 texture (which is pretty large for a game). Now I tried using overlaping UVs however that wouldn't allow me to create the bricks, it would simply be the same stone texture for all four sides. I guess i'm confused when you say a strip texture. In Max is there a texture type that you can import called strip?
  • dinfet
    I am with Jessica on the tree I like it, a lot.
  • Owl
    Offline / Send Message
    Owl polycounter lvl 6
    Hey guys!

@ traumwelt - thanks!

@ Jessica - It means a lot to hear you like the tree! I am a big fan of your stuff. :) Yes... I think more knots is a good idea as well as the grain. My next tree will be the better for it.

@ dinfet - Thank you!

@ Lord Waffles - I did another quickie for you. Hope it clears things up. Strip texture is a name for a texture. Not a different type of texture in max or anything. The reason it's called strip, is that it has different material strips on the same texture sheet. The will usually tile on two sides (top and bottom) or (left and right), and you can move your uvs across them and stretch the uvs so that the strip of material keeps on duplicating over and over again forever. You can do the same with a tileable square texture. It just uses the whole space and you scale uniformly and it will tile, tile, tile , till you stop. :)

In Max or other software, you move around your uvs for your bricks, wall, wood, whatever to the correct areas and there you go. The different pieces could each be different meshes. Elements with in the same mesh, or you could just cut faces into the model where you want the uvs to show that part/strip of the texture.

Check out the image below:
    it might help, but excuse my crappy drawings, as they were super quick. :) CHEERS!

ZHqmI.jpg
  • Lord Waffles
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot mate! Taking the time to explain it helped a lot (I know it was probably a pain in the ass).

You know now since you got the house plan all drawn out, you are going to have to model a stylized version right?

I think the last question is this, so far I have only seen the ability to create UVs off faces. So for the bricks and middle brick strip I would have to cut out a face so that I can UV map the section to that part of the texture. Is this how it is always done? Or is there a way to map multiple parts of 1 polygon to different parts of a texture map?

Again thanks for all your help, looking forward to seeing your stylized house ;)
  • nedwork
    First, this is very cool. I think the tree can use a few more smaller branches. Can't wait for you to finish this :D
  • Pixelatedkiwi
    Offline / Send Message
    Pixelatedkiwi polycounter
    I really like how this is turning out, love the stylization, looking forward to seeing some more! :)
  • Bmikes1988
    Offline / Send Message
    Bmikes1988 polycounter lvl 9
    These textures are exactly what I am looking into making. I have found a couple tutorials but not really that much. I cannot go to school or I would if I could..maybe. I've learned so much on my own and was wondering if you have any information as to where or how I can learn to make these and information on how. I am also curious about pricing and how you do it, like is it per texture, per map, and so on. Thank you so much!