Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hella - Goddess of the Dead

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
haikai polycounter lvl 8
I actually finished this a few months ago, but it's taken me a while to get all this together for presentation. This is actually a model I'm going to demo in an upcoming video character art tutorial I'm trying to make for CGCircuit. I have to thank them for their extreme patience with me... I've been chipping away at this in my free time since early this year! Ideally I should have waited until the video was ready and shown it all at the same time, but who knows when that will be.

Anyway, this is a high resolution game model inspired by Hella, the Norse Goddess of the Dead. It's not meant to be a literal interpretation, but there are enough parallels with the design that I thought the name was fitting. I created this 3d model from concepts painted by Herman Ng. This model is ~29k triangles, with multiple high resolution textures. It's not optimized at all because the goal was to see what kind of quality I could achieve without worrying about restrictions.

I used Maya, Zbrush, 3dCoat, Xnormal, BodyPaint, and Photoshop. Real time rendering with Marmoset Toolbag.

1080P available:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz1TB5clBzM&hd=1"]Hella - Goddess of the Dead - YouTube[/ame]

CGC_Hella_pose.jpg

CGC_Hella_wire.jpg

CGC_Hella_zbrush.jpg

Special thanks to all those who gave me great feedback on this: Herman Ng, Donald Phan, Troy Nickel, Niles Doubleday, and a bunch of others I'm probably forgetting. I was so prepared to settle for less- sometimes I just need people to tell me how lazy I am! I don't know when the video will be out, but I hope you all will like it. I'll post more info when it gets closer.

UPDATE: Here are some texture flats:

CGC_Hella_textures.jpg

I hate putting these together because they never really interest me, but I know some people like seeing them. The textures aren't all together like this on the actual model. I have the textures separated by material so the skin is its own texture, the clothes its own, etc. I just have it arranged like this (not to scale with each other) for convenience in presentation. There are also a few other textures I used for things like gloss, but I didn't think it was worth showing, and they're a bit specific to Marmoset Toolbag anyway. I'll get more in depth with that stuff in the fabled video tutorial.

And here are some of the concepts I had to work from by Herman Ng:
CGC_Hella_concept.jpg

And a little more background info on this project:

My initial goal was to try and make a model that was on par with the Tera character models because I have admired their work as the gold standard for character art in MMOs. I was also thinking of what I'd like to see in a fighting game where the characters are designed to be really over the top. She has something grotesque growing from her back which I thought was similar to the Norse goddess's depiction of being half decayed. She also has some sort of creature strapped to her side, and I imagined it to serve as a sort of bag to hold captured souls and the like.

Replies