Home General Discussion

To any Aussies who got jobs in the US games industry, can you tell me how you did it?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
aniceto polycounter lvl 18
So I'm hoping to find work in the US. I think it'd be fun for a change, and there are lots of places in the states that I'd like to visit some day.

It's my understanding that in order to get a work visa, you need a degree, or an equivalent number of years work experience, as well as a sponsor in the states who can prove that they're unable to fill the position locally.

So it sounds quite difficult - But I'm sure some people have done it, right?!

Has anyone got any stories/advice?

Replies

• tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    I think your best bet is going to Canada. If you're an Australian citizen and you're under 30 it's pretty easy to get a working visa.

If you're hell bent on the states though, you could try the green card lottery. They usually give Australians a pretty large percentage of the green card allowance.
  • a3sthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a3sthesia polycounter lvl 10
    Hey Aniceto!

From what I've come across so far, you have a few options.

If you're under 31, you can work overseas on a holiday working visa. I think it lasts about 2 years, but usually has some kind of limit as to how long you can work at a single location (depending on where you're working exactly). So if you're under 31, take advantage of this ASAP! Go go go!

If you're over 31, it gets harder. Generally, a degree will prove to the Visa/Immigration office, that you have a qualification that you are bringing/taking into a particular country. So if you're going to work overseas in games/film, you want to have a degree that proves that this is your expertise.
    As you mentioned, you would also need a sponsor to show that you are going to work overseas because you have a job to go to.

With regards to companies sponsoring you, because it can cost a company a lot of money to sponsor someone, you would need to prove that you are worth the effort they would be putting into your relocation. So generally speaking, you might (roughly) want to have something like, 3 years of studio/industry experience, a degree, and a really attractive portfolio. You might also have to sit an art test to show a company that you're able to "hit the ground running," as they say ;)

I guess it sounds difficult, but don't be disheartened, it's just a very...."particular requirement," - and you just have to prove you're worthy.

Anyway - Nutshell -

Under 31 - lots of options

over 31 - more specific options (to put it nicely).

Let me know if you have any more questions (and if anyone else knows something I've missed (or mis-quoted), feel free to add) ^_^
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks for the reply!

A friend recently got back from Canada, where he was staying for 6 months on a holiday working visa. He found it impossible to get work there as an animator, even though he has lots of experience and a great portfolio.
    He was saying there's a tax break for studios for hiring local talent, so no one would even look at his resume when he was applying for full time work.
    Is there a similar tax break in the US that would make it even more difficult for foreigners to get work there?

I am pretty keen on the US. I've applied for the green card lottery this year. I hear the chances of winning are low, but hey its worth a shot.

I had a look into a holiday working visa for Australians in the US, and there isn't an equivalent to the Canada visa, where under 31s can get a 2 year visa without a sponsor.
    There is a visa that allows current university students to work in the US for a year, though.

I have six years experience and a relevant diploma, but it sounds like I should get to work on a degree, eh?

It's a shame its so difficult.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you have a relevant degree(which can be a bit loose, like graphic design or photography - anything technology+art related) I think that counts as double years. So if you have a 4 year degree, that's equal to 8 years of experience. I vaguely remember you need 8-10 years of experience to have a chance at a visa. So 6 years exp + 2 year degree would do it.

I do not think the US currently has any tax breaks for hiring local talent, but I'm not positive about that.

Also another thing you might have to consider, if some of your experience is as a freelance artist it may not count, it really depends on your tax filing - if you filed as an individual you may not be able to count it, if you filed as an LLC or something that like it should count (this is more complicated than I really understand).

After all of that, the interested company has to do a lot of work to prove that they have a solid reason for looking outside of the company for the work, that you have a specialized skillset etc. How willing a studio is to do the leg work here will vary a lot. You're a really talented guy so that will help, but you're going to need a lot of luck too. A company like Blizzard would be a lot more likely to sponsor you, as apposed to an indie/startup which would be virtually impossible for them to do.
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    You can score visa points, iirc specifically an H0, for being a globally reknowned artist. Placing highly in DW, CGTalk, CGHub contests would give you that credibility.

Best of luck, I used to want the US deal too.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
  • Messiano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So those who have +30 years old, are out of question, if they want to move in US or Canada? Seems pretty retarded and stupid for me.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    No. 30+ can still get visa's, just harder to get. but the easy ones to get are for under 30 because they are considering working vacations. You are just there to have some fun and see the country, while working. Not moving there for good to start a career / life.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    yup. stick to the big studios and their lawyers. For the talented person visa the blizz lawyers/recruiters were collecting every single published article on every forum to add to a "publications list". Then tons of references from other people. And all this costs the studio a lot of cash I bet. They compiled all the folio works and required tip top presentation. Basically they'll try everything to make you look like a super-star. I guess it doesn't matter if you really are one, as long as they can convince the visa bureaucrats.

On regular work visas there's also a quota, so if that one is met then you'll have to wait.

The 1 year work visa after a degree is actually a good option. The studio can get to know you and evaluate you and decide to sponsor you (if they have the cash and resources to do so). So the trick is to find a suitable employer during your studies. Plus it must be a full time study on-site, so no online studies. I heard that people got in this way.

But if you already have experience and a degree... heck, it just sounds like a lot of work with a quite uncertain outcome. tbh, unless you're kickass or super specialized, looking for someone to sponsor you might prove the same success rate as the greencard lottery.
  • Messiano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SO , how is the best way to get someone to sponsor you? Getting degree now, is really impossible for someone with low income. For example that's me, i am taking about on-site. Online courses, i see now, are useless, for getting work visa.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    You have four options to get a visa as an Australian in the US;

E-3 visa which is the best bet. Needs a bachelors degree from an accredited university and 3 years of work experience plus a sponsored company that meets the requirements. Best thing is your spouse can work.

H-1B standard working visa. I believe you need a bachelors degree from an accredited university and a company that will sponsor you that meets the requirements.

O-1 visa is a special case visa. If you don't have formal education but you are very well known in your field, have had multiple interviews, wrote papers, did lectures, has been on TV, ect ect. Think of it like a celebrity visa.

And finally a J-1 visa which is a student exchange visa. This is highly unlikely to be possible unless the company has proven to the government that is is a training facility or school. It's time consuming and costly for a company to setup, hence why it is a very unlikely visa to obtain.

If you don't have a degree, your only option is to provide DOCUMENTED work exp from every employer on a signed letter headed document. This includes any freelance. Pay slips and bas statements is not enough.

Each yeah of schooling is equivalent to 3 years of work exp. So to get an e-3 visa you need a minimum for 12 years of documented work experience. That's 3years of schooling times 3 + 3 years of work exp.

If you are young I would highly recommend doing a degree from an accredited university or college.

Hazardous and I went to work at Trion in 2010 on a J-1 visa. We accepted the offer to work there in December 2009 and arrived in California at the end of March / beginning of April.
    It was a horrible procccess to get everything sorted for immigration. We had to get back into contact with old clients who we hadn't spoken to for years (and some we couldn't even get in contact with again, they just vanished into thin air) just to get the signed documents for your work experience, and chase up our old college QANTM because one of the courses at the school was discontinued and the immigration department didn't class it as a proper accredited course unless written confirmation was received from the head of the college. (we both only have 1 year diplomas)
    Thankfully we had some pretty good immigration lawyers supplied to us by Trion and they managed to help us get over at much effort.

Alas our 18month visa came to an end and there was no way for us to stay on and both work. ( I lack an extra 2 years of work experience) So we are back in Australia.
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Canada sounds like one of the best places to go at the moment, lots of government funding for the Industry. I know in the UK people are complaining that studios from Canada are "stealing" talent to go over there.
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey look at all that information. Aint you guys just swell :)

Anuxinamoon: How many years experience did you have when you got that job at Trion? And you did it without a degree? That's what I was hoping to hear!
    Was Trion your first choice, or did you guys apply at several places?

Oh, and when you say documented work experience, do you mean just a letter from the director, with the company letterhead, for example?

I just turned 27, I have 6 years experience(plus 2 years freelancing), a cert IV and a diploma.
    It seems like it wouldn't be TOTALLY impossible for me to do it right now, but I would need a buttload of luck.

So given this info, I've come up with this plan.

1. Enrol in a (somewhat) relevant degree course ASAP
    2. Enter the green card lottery each year
    3. get documents proving work experience
    4. keep an eye out for jobs, and try my luck (can't hurt)
    5. marry a US citizen? Anyone?
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Degree.

you get a temporal green card if you marry a citizen, and there needs to be prove that you are not marrying just to get it. You can't become a citizen until you have 3 years of marriage... and that is kinda lame to consider. Marrying someone should not have anything to do with your status as an alien.

Enrolling in school is your best option... tho you will be in debt by the time you finish. Which really sucks. BUT! if you consider it as an investment you finish school, get the opportunity to get an internship and you get at the end of the degree an OPT (optional practical training) of 2 years to experience your work in the field. Plus you can get an extension of a year and a half. If you do the math, a 4 year degree plus 3 years of work will add to 7 years here in the US. Which then allows you to apply for residence. Since 7 years is the minimum to apply for that.

Thats how i did.

AND! i am married, and have never had to ask my wife to sign paper work to become a us resident. one more year and i can be a citizen. How about that?

THe green card lottery is a waste of money. You are not guaranteed AND! it takes forever... i think up to 3 years to be even considered.

Your proving you have work experience you have to at least have over 5 years of experience, imo, to be considered for this. A number of reasons is as follow:

1. why should anyone be hired outside of the country if they don't have enough experience, or there is someone here that can do the same job.

2. you have to be indispensable, and the government doesn't issue this visa. Your employer does.

Moving to Canada opens you some options. You have a better chance to get a TN Visa coming from Canada or Mexico, they are way cheaper, and companies will usually accept that more often than applying for a green card on your behalf... which i don't think it happens a lot.

You can keep your eye out for jobs... but i really don't think with this saturated market that you will get a call back as fast as you would expect. I don't think you should be closed to the idea... but it has to be the right studio. Also... i would advice not to discuss this at the border or customs haha once you get a job offer on paper, can you go to them and get your visa if it works out that way. You'll end up with a lot of headaches if you do. has happened to me.

Anyways... school is something for sure... you just have to prove that you can pay for it... which is not that easy, unless you have family in the US that can co sign a loan.

Everything i have talked about i have gone through, and i have asked. Most often than not you need to know this on your own. Even at school they were not aware of the OPT or its extension and asked me to go back to my country and apply for a job the hard way... its nuts. So its good you ask questions and you inform yourself... i hope some of this helps.

EDIT: i just read you have 6 years of experience.... a masters perhaps can open the doors for you. its just that once you are in the US. studios are more open to bring you in, interview you and offer you a job.
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    Yes you may as well get a degree, after all you're in a country where you can do that without being slapped with a bank debt in the hundreds of thousands.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    aniceto wrote: »
    Hey look at all that information. Aint you guys just swell :)

Anuxinamoon: How many years experience did you have when you got that job at Trion? And you did it without a degree? That's what I was hoping to hear!

Oh, and when you say documented work experience, do you mean just a letter from the director, with the company letterhead, for example?

I just turned 27, I have 6 years experience(plus 2 years freelancing), a cert IV and a diploma.
    It seems like it wouldn't be TOTALLY impossible for me to do it right now, but I would need a buttload of luck.

So given this info, I've come up with this plan.

1. Enrol in a (somewhat) relevant degree course ASAP
    2. Enter the green card lottery each year
    3. get documents proving work experience
    4. keep an eye out for jobs, and try my luck (can't hurt)
    5. marry a US citizen? Anyone?

Based on the many conversations I've had with various lawyers regarding relocation ( to the US and the the UK ) and 1 successful relocation from AU to the USA under our belts, combined with the fact that I have no degree - here's my thoughts:

For the E-3 & H1b and any degree available from AU to US that states that you must have a degree - which you lack, will require you to have a total of 12 years documented exp to make up for it.

US immigration has a list of accredited schools and courses that they will use to compare any of your schooling - and it is this list that will determine whether your diploma and cert IV will even count towards your 12 years.

So with that in mind,

You're experience is 8 years, and you'll want to have a papertrail to proove those 8 years, including freelance clients ( they will track it right down to the number of months - they are extremely thorough trust me this stuff is no joke )

Your schooling - diploma & cert IV, your diploma *MIGHT* be equivalent to 3 years worth of experience. As far as I'm aware, the cert IV is ranked lower than the diploma and may not even register at all on what can be substituted - you will not know this unless you fork over the cash to speak with a GOOD immigration lawyer - dont believe whats written on the websites....

I hope you have a copy of the course outlines for both your diploma and your cert IV - they will ask for these to check. They may even ask for a letter from the CEO / headmaster of the school that you obtained the diploma / cert. (they did for my QANTM diploma)

The (extremely archaic and nonsensical) formula they use is:

1 year of schooling = 3 years of practical experience. :poly142:

Lets assume everything is great and ideal for you and all your schooling is relevant and accepted ( I'm guessing how long your courses where - care to clarify ?

6 years studio
    2 years Freelance
    3 years ( 1 year full time diploma )
    1.5 years cert IV ( .5 year full time course )

total: 12.5 years! :)

Providing that you have documented ( signed letterheads from ceo's / superiors etc) your experience and your schooling holds up to their accredited list, you've got enough to apply for an H1 or an E3!

A J-1 like my wife mentioned is extremely rare in the games industry. Even blizzard ( and other top studios ) don't do J-1's. So honestly I wouldn't even treat this as an option really. It doesnt ever hurt to ask though. You would be able to apply for this visa easily, but the only place I know of in games is Trion worlds in Redwood City. The company needs to go through a government scheme thath essentially registers itself as a 'place of learning' its very costly to them, and takes about 4 months for them to organise.

Everyone else has talked about other options like greencard, or getting in via Canada.

Incidentally I have my Canadian passport and i thought it would make things much easier to get back to the US - I know of a couple of people who are in the US on TN visa's who do NOT have degrees, my own explorations have yeilded the opposite results however.

Ive been told from several lawyers that just this year immigration has really tightened up on everything regarding the substitution of degrees with practical experience, which is only making it tougher for people like us :poly118:

Best of luck man - I hope that its some help.
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    Ive been told from several lawyers that just this year immigration has really tightened up on everything regarding the substitution of degrees with practical experience, which is only making it tougher for people like us

Well that sucks, I mean for a lot of us that's the entire point of them.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Anuxinamoon: How many years experience did you have when you got that job at Trion?

I went over on a J-2 which is a spouse visa of a J-1. Because I didn't have enough 'points' to make it. 5 years exp plus 1 year of schooling was not enough.
    And you did it without a degree? That's what I was hoping to hear!
    Actually they were the ones interested in us. We weren't really applying to places as we were still freelancing.

Yeah any management or the person in charge of your freelancing. The lawyers will give you a document setup they need to follow when they write it up.

I know hazardous said this but I can't stress this enough, make sure you get a good immigration lawyer. While waiting at the US consulate in Sydney we saw a number of people who had obviously tried to do it all by themselves and just got knocked back. It was weird, people crying and stuff as they tried to convince the immigration officer to let them go.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    As well as the other options you can also get a L1-B visa if you already work for a company that has a US office. Not many companies in Australia have US offices as far as I know.