Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Mixamo Zombie Comp] Zombie Priest

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
MrNinjutsu greentooth
Yo !

As the comp resquests, this will be my work in progress thread for the mixamo zombie contest!
good luck to those who also enter.

So this was a quick sketch of the character, excuse the crappyness.

BkP3W.jpg

And here is the current progress

YS6IG.jpg

Crit is more than welcome!

Replies

• BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    Oh sweet, that looks awesome!
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    This is a great start!
    A shattered lens or even some cracks on the side of the glasses that are dented, would look cool to me.
    Even fragments embedded into his eye socket, would help make it feel as if he were attacked before becoming a zombie :-)
    [also a big fan of seeing chunks missing from part of the zombie ear]
  • MrNinjutsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    @BenHenry Thanks man!

@StephenVyas Definitely a good idea on the glasses and the pieces embeded in the eye, this has inherently given me some inspiration!

Chunks will be missing, I assure you :D

So today and yesterday I've been building the base mesh in max, some subd modelling of the shirt and pants and really, just trying to get them okay enough for an update. Also threw in a necklace (more like bling bling).

ytF0d.jpg

The above image is subject to change due to pose in the next update, he's going to resemble the sketch more so by being bent over, to accommodate for the weight of the book.

And I should have mentioned the background for him, albeit it brief and rough, I initially thought of this concept because I wanted to tie in a sort of satanic connection. The priest being converted from his religious belief to a more sinister and devilish belief. Instead of holding the Bible, he is 'burdened' with holding open the book of the dead.

I thought that if it were to be an enemy in a game, then wherever he is located, a certain area of affect is in place. Whereby, when any other zedz are in that area; their strength/zombieness is increased?

Something like that.
  • MrNinjutsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    Back from the dead. Having no internet was something else, I tell yah.

In anycase, I was able to do some things here and there to the zombie guy.

8144557381_bceb4d0df2_k.jpg

I went over the pose, the way the book would be placed (book being a block in) and I went over the folds in the shirt. I'll be doing the same with the pants, once I get the broken leg in so I can properly envision how they will form around it.
  • MrNinjutsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    I had to change the zombie. I didn’t like where it was going and with that in the back of my mind, it was stifling my original vision, causing a creativity block. So, I’ve done away with the old model and I’ve started again.

JSkoJ.png
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    I have to say the previous version looked a lot cooler (and more creative, for the matter). I just think u should have gone more bolder with the shapes and design

Maybe its 2 early in this 2nd version to tell
  • MrNinjutsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    shotgun wrote: »
    I have to say the previous version looked a lot cooler (and more creative, for the matter). I just think u should have gone more bolder with the shapes and design

Maybe its 2 early in this 2nd version to tell

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm still going by the design, I'll be going down the same road, concept wise, it was just that as previously stated the way I was going about it and the attention to the head for me felt off. I'll be focusing more on what you suggested in going with more bolder shapes and design.
  • MrNinjutsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    Some more progress.

26Mqv.png

I'll be zombiefying it up soon, tearing up the clothes and adding in the cross necklace and the cloth around the neck. Also a way of keeping the book in place on the back of him.
  • Der Hollander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel like the arms should be a little longer via the biceps.

I gotta agree with shotgun's post, your original design was a lot more expressive and evocative as a character design, this new version feels very disjointed. You've got a large book that doesn't really fit with this new body, and the silhouette is just pretty uninteresting compared to your first version.

I'll keep tabs on this thread to see where you go with it, good luck with the contest :)
  • MrNinjutsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    Thanks Der Hollander for the feedback. You know what, when I took a step back at the concept I still wanted to do it and with yours and shotguns input I've decided to go down the same route, changing a couple things here and there.

Hopefully it's not a total let down, i'm just playing with an idea here, so let me know if i'm going off on the wrong path or not :P

YS6IG.jpg

lSzzJ.jpg
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    I really like your work but this thread just gets more confusing every time I open it.

Definitely an interesting concept, and I'm glad you went back to something closer to your original model there, but I'm not sure I'm digging the extra appendages or skull face on the back of the head. Previously, he seemed like a really wild zombie, but still a zombie. He seems more like a mutant or demon-monster type thing now.

Just my opinion, though..