Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] UDK TF2 Style Building

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
lamar McHaney polycounter lvl 9
Hello everyone, I recently put together a quick set of modular pieces for a weekly challenge I do with a couple friends who I graduated school with. Last weeks challenge was to make an environment asset that would be able to fit in the Team fortress 2 world. I did a quick modular plan and built it in UDK. I would like to continue working on this to develop it into something amazing. If you have the time, advice/critique would be appreciated.

Peace!!!

tf2rendersall.jpg

tf2rendersperp.jpg

tf2renderssun.jpg

Replies

• benj666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In terms of the actual assets i think they look cool. Did you model straight from the texture sheet?

In terms of looking like tf2. I dunno. I mean they use a very specific colour palette for the maps.

fmFRN.jpg

This is just the texture diff. They use with normal and height maps and their own mix of shaders and stuff.

You should go and download tf2 on steam and get the tools GCFscape and VFTedit so you can look at the textures close up.

also looks at this

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73559&highlight=tf2+texture+tutorial

A guide that swizzle put together.

http://www.teamfortress.com/workshop/

also this guide from vavle on creating assets.

There was also a guide that they gave out explain how they did everything, but i cant seem to find it, if someone else could link it?

P.s. I used GCFscape and vftedit to get the textures.

Also I think that the trim on your pillars, is used a little bit too much.

But good job man, and keep it up :):)
  • lamar McHaney
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lamar McHaney polycounter lvl 9
    @benj666 You helped me out a lot. I was following swizzles thread while working on this and trying my best to produce something close to the art style. I wish I did see that brick texture before I did mine, it would have helped greatly. But now I will be able to make the changes necessary to make this an awesome piece.

I did the models straight from the texture sheet. I am trying out new techniques and I am seeing better results.

Thanks for the advice