Home General Discussion

Speed Modeling Resources?

Ghostscape
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
I have a friend who is moving from Max to Maya and is having real issues speeding up his workflow. I'm not sure he was ever particularly fast as a modeler in any package, but the transfer between software has slowed him down even more.

Are there good resources out there for speed modeling (especially Maya specific ones that teach hotkeys/functions), or speed modeling competitions somewhere? I used to participate in the game-artist.net speed modeling competitions and definitely lurked a whole bunch and felt that those quickly got me up to speed, but the time when those were consistent and weekly is long in the past it seems.

My friend is concerned with how slow he is performing compared to his peers and I'd like to help but not being a Maya guru I'm not well suited to teaching a lot of the hotkeys/shortcuts and quick functionality bits, and more importantly I don't have the ability to really delve deeply into where his workflow problems arise.

I would assume that a useful exercise would be to take an hour a day and GIS an object, then attempt to model it for 50 minutes and spend the last 10 minutes putting together a list of what he felt was his slowest processes and then google up solutions or ask coworkers/friends about how to speed up those workflows.

Has anyone else found a process that quickly ramped them up to higher productivity levels and faster modeling? I know for a lot of people it is a gradual thing that you always improve but I'm wondering if anyone has "bootcamped" their way to noticeable improvement and if there were any resources or processes they found particularly helpful.

Replies

• Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    I'm interested as well, I seem to be criminally slow at everything I do. No matter how much work or what quality it turns out to be I feel like it was the biggest slowest slog of work. My estimates of "this will clearly take only a few hours" almost always become all-nighters.
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    Marking menus are a godsend. For about 2 years I was using strictly the regular menu at the top and shelf, but after working with the masterful Haikai, he enlightened me to the marking menu madness.

http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/showthread.php?157484-Maya-Demystified-The-Hidden-Marking-Menus

Seriously. Get him to learn the marking menus, once you learn them and memorize where certain tools are it becomes literally muscle memory and you're able to execute marking menu "gestures" of sorts which allows you to get to the tools before the menu even pops up sometimes.

Maya itself is a pretty clunky modelling application and has a ton of quirks, but after a while it shouldn't take too long to do a lot of things you can do in Max...although there's a 80% chance it will be much more convoluted compared to Max and/or require a 3rd party script.
  • St.Sabath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    St.Sabath polycounter lvl 11
    I totally agree with ceebee here,get him to learn the hotbox/marking menus.
    When you initially start using it,it feels a bit awkward,but once you know where to gesture,it speeds up your workflow quite a bit...
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Maybe if your friend didn't stop for a movie and meal, after each vertex that he moved, he wouldn't be in this situation ;P
  • Cheathem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheathem polycounter lvl 6
    I agree with perna,Planning ahead and having a solid work flow can help alot.