Offline / Send Message
d1ver polycounter lvl 14
logo.png

"Student Topic: Career Prep for Game Artists"

Sub-Topics:
How far does formal education get you?
Your expectations versus reality
Building a killer portfolio

If you are in Montreal area and have nothing to do on October 24th, drop by to chat about what it's like being an artist in Video Games Industry.
The amount of seats is unfortunately limited to 20 so you'll have to reserve via montreal@igda.org (please indicate the topic you want to participate in).

Just in case, you don't really have to be a student to participate, but it helps if you're an IGDA member. You can join on-line before registering.

Follow the link for more details:
http://www.igda.org/montreal/Oct24_Roundtables

See you there,
Cheers ;)

Replies

• Boyso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyso polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for posting! I'll check my schedule!
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Heh.

A part of me would love to join in on this, but I'd be taking a spot away from a student.

I'm sure they'll get some great instruction and networking here anyways. There's some good people in that list.

^_^
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    You're welcome, Boyso.

Hey Jacque, I think you should totally come just because the whole thing will be so much better for it. We don't even know if we'll get 20 folks yet and even if we do I don't mind standing through the whole thing if need be. Seriously. Go register nao :)
  • Graham
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome! My lovely girlfriend just got me a membership, I will see you there tonight :)
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Looking forward to it, Graham :D Ought to be fun and informative.
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    Just RSVP'd, was unaware of it until my boss told me about it, would be nice to meet some more developers in Montreal.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    It sure would be, Trevor.
    I think there are a few spots left, so, hopefully, see you later tonight.)
  • Graham
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Last night was fun, it was inspiring to be around like minded people. I will definitely be going to more IGDA events. Thanks for taking the time to head up the discussion, it was quite insightful.

See you around mate!
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    My pleasure, Graham -_^ I hope we get to do more of those.
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    I wish I could come to see people! :D
    How many were there last night?
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    25 for art discussion alone, Minh. And we had a professor from CentreNAD and a producer from Funcom.

In the end, at the bar, it was pretty crowded too.

You should totally come to some of IGDA events, It's always nice to say Hi:)
  • rorozilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rorozilla polycounter lvl 6
    we where about 25/ 30 people?

It was really great meeting you yesterday Andrew! I hope to see you around again!

Tell me, did you publish that paper on the foliage you were telling me about? its been boggling my mind all day long ever since you mentioned it! its really awesome that you document all those things!

Hope we can keep in touche!

Its so cool having meetings like that! it makes the community feel so much bigger then i imagined it! its cool being a part of it!
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    d1ver wrote: »
    25 for art discussion alone, Minh. And we had a professor from CentreNAD and a producer from Funcom.

In the end, at the bar, it was pretty crowded too.

You should totally come to some of IGDA events, It's always nice to say Hi:)

I'm always there at the IGDA meetings, it's just that I wanted to give a chance for students to be at this roundtable this time. ;)
  • Boyso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyso polycounter lvl 7
    Yeah couldn't attend it either, was working :(
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Hey there Rosalie, the pleasure was all mine :)

Nah, the foliage thing is still under wraps for it will be a part of something bigger, but I guess I can PM you and Graham a bit about it later tonight.
    Yeah, we'll definitely keep in touch;)

Hey Minh, that's a very courteous move on your side. Seeing that we had quite a bunch of folks this time, hopefully next time Jason would allows us more seating places. Though I'd always rather stand then let anyone miss out on meeting fellow artists. So next you're there even if you don't want to :)

Hopefully see you next time Etienne.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Hey guys and gals.
    Just in case you're curios, the discussion notes from the night are right here.
    There you can find bullet points of topics covered and get an idea of what you can expect from similar events if we will be lucky to have more of those. The student art discussion is the last in the list;)

Cheers