Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

SCO Space Marine (WH:40k)

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
PaulP polycounter lvl 9
This is a Warhammer 40k inspired Space Marine, taking influence from the Space Marine (2011) game.

This is the high-poly with some base colours polypainted in. I still have the hairplanes, textures, and low-poly to do. I would like some crits and opinions on how the high-poly is looking, before I move on.

(if you want to view the wips click here)

Thanks for looking, and thanks for putting up with yet another Space Marine character :p !

Current Image:

sm_main_hp_zps48265d59.jpg

Replies

• danpaz3d
    Offline / Send Message
    danpaz3d polycounter lvl 7
    I think it looks great so far!

Crits:
    - The head could be just a little bit bigger.
    - Maybe something off about the knee pads (could be just me)

Other than that it's good. Looking forward to the texture and more progress!
  • Jarran
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarran polycounter lvl 11
    Looking good mate, I agree with Danpaz though. Theres something a little off with the knee pads but I can't quite put my finger on it, maybe they're a little bit too big? Still looks great as is though!
  • bcottage
    Offline / Send Message
    bcottage polycounter lvl 13
    danpaz3d wrote: »
    Crits:
    - The head could be just a little bit bigger.

I think the sixe of the head is fine. With heroic characters like this small heads are always used to emphasize the muscular body. A good example of this is of superheroes.
  • Symmetry
    Im not sure if you are going for another type of shoulder armor but from what i can remember space marine shoulder armour is alot more rounded at the top from the side view, so maybe put a ffd on an modify it alittle.
  • Gerotoi
    Looking good. Something's bothering me about the shape of the torso though... too straight maybe?
  • danpaz3d
    Offline / Send Message
    danpaz3d polycounter lvl 7
    @bcottage True! Didn't think of that at all. :s

Got an idea for the knee pads- The angle and size is fine but it just looks like they're floating. Put a strap or buckle that wraps around the back of the knee. I know it's not what they look like but I think it should help on appearance.
  • Der Hollander
    Always good to see a 40k fan make art.

As far as art critiques go, I dunno if it's the material you're using or how it's sculpted, but the armor looks super soft, like it's made out of foam or something. The elbows are pointed 90 degrees the wrong way, I'm not sure if that's by design or not, but it does look a bit odd.

Proportionally, I would scale up the size of the pauldrons, they were made large specifically to maximize protection from every angle. I would also scale down the head to about 80% it's size now. Right now, proportionally it looks like a child is inhabiting that armour, but I think that could also be the combination of proportion, materials, and something about the face/hand size ratio.

As far as the kneepads go, on pretty much all of the official art I've seen, the flat knee pads are attached to the shin-guard and move with it. Some rivets would probably sell the manufactured look.
  • PaulP
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for all the comments! Loads of useful crits.

danpaz3d & Jarran: Cheers! Yeah the knee pads look a bit off because they arn't properly connected to the thighs, I'll fix that once all the textures are finished. I've kept the head kind of small to compliment the crazy space marine proportions. I'll test out a bigger head before I rig it.

Symmetry: Thanks for the crit, you're totally right. I've rounded out the shape alot more.

Gerotoi: I think the torso might look a bit weird because of the current shading, but I'll keep an eye on it, if I can figure what might be wrong.

Der Hollander: Thanks for the detailed crits, very helpful. Hopefully my new textures and spec will better sell the materials (see below). Yeah the elbows were looking weird, I've angled them back a bit, and might move them some more after I finish texturing (I'm avoiding moving too much stuff until I'm sure I don't need to do any more baking). I'll do some tests on the head closer to the rigging stage, and see what works best. Shrinking it down should be quite easy. For the knee pads, I'll try and link them up better to the thighs, and if it still doesn't work I'll try adding the rivets. As for the pauldrons, I've kept them slightly smaller to avoid clipping issues (referencing the Space Marine game).

Thanks again for all the useful crits, below is the low-poly with textures (diffuse, normal, specular, alpha). Let me know what you think! Once the character is done, I want to make a gun for him (maybe a bolt gun? suggestions appreciated :) )

(wip image removed)
  • PaulP
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    Hey here's the latest. I made some more adjustments to the character, like shrinking the head and rotating the elbow. I've almost pretty much finished the weapon (pending crits!):

(wip images removed)

EDIT: I just noticed a smoothing group error on the back pack and fixed it :)
  • PaulP
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    So here is the full character, posed with his massive hammer. Rendered in Marmoset, background in Ps. Please let me know if you have any thoughts on the render and composition.

Thanks again to people for watching and commenting, and a big thanks to the people who have critted and advised on g+ hangouts!

sm_render3.jpg
  • twistedpolygon
    Why remove the wip images? This community is a great learning resource and one way we learn is from mistakes. I think you should put the wip images back up so we can compare before and after, just my opinion.
  • PaulP
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    @twistedpolygon: I removed them because they were in the wrong album on photobucket, so the links got broken. I didn't bother replacing them because they just take up time for people with a slow connection. If you want to view them, you can find them here:
    spacemarine_wips

EDIT: I thought I should also mention I'll put up wires and maps later. I usually wait a day or two incase I realise I need to make some big changes.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    looks really good man, well done getting him finished!

my biggest criticism is that the materials don't gel well together. it looks like a strange mix of realistic texturing (or, wanting them to be realistic), and plastic miniature looking materials.

the metals on the hammer, and the subtle surface detailing and scratches on the blue armour areas indicate a realistic vision. but the bright glossy yellow trim totally kills it, if you'd gone for a gold trim instead it might have read much better.

anyway, good job finishing up man, looking forward to seeing your next piece!
  • PaulP
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks gir! Will try and improve the realism of my metals on my next project!

So here's some more shots of the model, as well as wireframes and texture maps. There's some more info on the making of this character on my website, if anyone has any questions or feedback please post :)

sm_render_hp1.jpg

sm_render_hp2.jpg

sm_wires_hp1.jpg

sm_wires_hp2.jpg

sm_tex1.jpg

sm_tex2.jpg

sm_tex3.jpg
  • barnesy
    Offline / Send Message
    barnesy polycounter lvl 9
    Looks great Paul, I am envious at the efficiency of your UV's!
  • Orangeknight
    Offline / Send Message
    Orangeknight polycounter lvl 5
    Looks great so far! I just have a couple of crits and it is mainly on material definition and wear and tear. You have almost no damage and it mainly looks like a plastic model with some small amount of metal bits. I also feel it doesnt make sense the small amount of damage that is on his armor. Look he has a bullet in his head but his armor is almost flawless. I would reccomende maybe going back and sculpting in some gashes and just more damage into this armor. Also this picture I think is a good representation of where you could pull the materials.
    spacemarine-3.jpg
  • PaulP
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    @barnsey: Cheers Michael! Have to give some thanks to josephmarch for nagging me to repack my hammer UVs, nice and tight!

@Orangeknight: Thanks! Yeah the material definition and wear and tare were the most challenging part for me. Hopefully I'll get it right in my next character, and then I might come back and tweak this one.
  • PaulP
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    I made a few changes to my image to improve my portfolio. I've improved my spec maps, tweaked my head's diffuse map and gave it a gloss map to compliment the spec. I also changed about the render settings in Marmoset and I think its given me a better result.

Anyway, I just wanted to share this update. Might try and get a gloss map for the weapon and armour after Animex and the London meetup, and see how that works out.

sm_main_hp_zps48265d59.jpg
  • TheDerpyChicken
    Why no aquila on his chest?
  • PaulP
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    @TheDerpyChicken: He is wearing a Saltire on his chest because he's a Scottish Space Marine! :D

A friend showed me how to improve mm specular and gloss maps, so I decided to give them an overhaul and fix a few other things that were bugging me.

I have a full breakdown on my website which people can compare with my previous posts (showing maps), if they want to see the improvements and additions I made.

Final-3_zpsad9f6d72.jpg