Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Bobcat T180

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
I recently was inspired by Xoliul's Dozer, so decided to get some practice in by creating from start to finish, a Bobcat. Don't know why I chose it exactly, guess I love the shape and all the attachments. Will post my progress as I move along here.

Current Work In Progress

So far i've got the high res modeling (max)and will bringing into Zbrush for sculpting welds, etc after I am finished. .

Latest Updated Screengrabs

Mavgj.jpg

Mc1Xy.jpg

Previous WIP

fjlrr.jpg

Replies

• BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Looks nice so far. Are the window grates suppose to be metal? or fabric? Right now they are not reading well as either.
  • burtonyang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice, ease up on the edges though, they're way too sharp to bake (if you're planning to).
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's metal, welded part of the cabin. I'll adjust it to make it feel more attached and melded to read as such. Thanks for the crit!
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    burtonyang wrote: »
    Nice, ease up on the edges though, they're way too sharp to bake (if you're planning to).

Agreed, I need to loosen up some edge loops to benefit from the normal. Thanks for pointing this out!
  • eY3lEs5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Subscribed, looking forward to your updates Will :)
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Scott! I should be posting a new shot with zbrush pass, soon. :)
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    Looking forward to seeing how you tackle the low poly!
  • Hang10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are the bolts on the arms and bucket claws gonna geo on the LP or normal mapped? If thy're gonna be on the NM then I'd suggest taperring the extruded face to get a better read on their depth.
  • ZeroStrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZeroStrike polycounter lvl 8
    Love your work Will. +1 Subscribe
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hang10 wrote: »
    Are the bolts on the arms and bucket claws gonna geo on the LP or normal mapped? If thy're gonna be on the NM then I'd suggest taperring the extruded face to get a better read on their depth.

They're going to be simple geo, but I agree they should be tapered anyways with the geo in order to read a bit better. Thanks!

Here's another quick update

Some very simple and quick zbrush passes on adding some minor imperfections, smoothing edges, and such.

Mavgj.jpg

Mc1Xy.jpg
  • burtonyang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you overdid your ZBrush pass on the front of your model. There's almost no explanation why the back of the scooper is all banged up and warped more than the front or inside of it. Metal is more durable than you think. It's also starting to look a like it's in between a metal and a stone texture because of the hard plane changes and the squiggliness.

Here's some reference I found that's banged to bits. The metal is only slightly chipped or warped despite being outside all day plowing in the exposed areas.

76_2006-bobcat-t180.jpg
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    burtonyang wrote: »
    I think you overdid your ZBrush pass on the front of your model. There's almost no explanation why the back of the scooper is all banged up and warped more than the front or inside of it. Metal is more durable than you think. It's also starting to look a like it's in between a metal and a stone texture because of the hard plane changes and the squiggliness.

Here's some reference I found that's banged to bits. The metal is only slightly chipped or warped despite being outside all day plowing in the exposed areas.

76_2006-bobcat-t180.jpg

I agree with the back of the scooper, however id like more damage to read in the front, as if it's been used a lot more than the ref provided above. The squigliness does cause the scooper to read a bit confusing, may tone it down. Thanks for the feedback. You're providing some excellent crits.