Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

portfolio help/suggestions?

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
jermaineb polycounter lvl 13
so here's my site. http://jermainebelcher.webstarts.com/index.html
sadly this is the current extent of my knowledge, but based on that. any ideas/suggestions?
i tried to follow the ideas left by jon jones when creating the site. so yeh...

*Theres also a few things i wish i could do like click the image and make a larger image appear, but sadly am unable to due to the fact you apparently need a pro account to do so.*

Also if you have any sites that are good free portfolio sites i would like to use those. I have a carbon made, but you cant upload that many without having a pro account.

Replies

• proximity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    proximity polycounter lvl 9
    you need a new site builder no one should have to do this on your site, "(to see full size: right click image > copy img url > paste in new tab)"

I am Currently Using Wix.com really easy to use but you cant get larger image previews but if you layout the website nice people wont need to click larger images, just have one scrolling page or 2 at the most
  • jermaineb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I definitely agree. I have some really large images and such. so thats kind of why i wanted that there so they can see it in full size if they wanted to.
    i had a wix and the problem i had with wix was it was flash and when listening to the crunch cast i remember them mentioning that it was slow and if people wanted to save images they couldnt. thats why i didnt go with wix in the final. any idea if they have a nonflash based website?
    ill make a wix if thatll ultimately be better.
  • proximity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wix is flash>??? not sure it is ill send you a link to mine in a message as dont wanna hijack you thread
  • proximity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think also you could upload your images to say imageshack, and then hyperlink the image on your site to the imageshack version, that might work i may do it for my wix site
  • jermaineb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okay so i made a wix and transfered everything over and added a few things.
    http://batenkaitosorigins.wix.com/jermaineb#!home/mainPage
  • Damytria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damytria polycounter lvl 7
    As a genral rule of thumb.

put your best most interesting pieces at the top

and your weakest at the bottom (... if you feel including these pieces doesn't hurt you)

You definitely have some very very strong pieces towards the bottom that I would push to the top (and vice versa) Put your best face forward! Start with your strongest piece.

I would also re-label object models to "props" and the Jeramine B link to "Characters"

"to see full size: right click image > copy img url > paste in new tab)"

remove this - I would just go to blogspot or some other site that does the image in-frame (I think it's called letterbox) zoom function for you. There's no shame in using a blog site if you have a domain name.

It's an easy way to get a solid layout, and it saves you time so you can begin applying to more jobs.

Oh and I can't believe it hasn't been linked yet.

http://www.jonjones.com/2005/10/07/your-portfolio-repels-jobs/

and watch this video (I was actually there for the recording ^_^)

http://www.jonjones.com/2011/08/20/the-art-of-getting-noticed-video-speech-and-text/

There are some pieces where you do not have turn around - and the images are VERY tiny. You may need to go back and take some better stills of your work. As well as having a standard format for displaying your work, you have full rotations on some of them .... wires on some - no wires on others.
  • jermaineb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damytria wrote: »
    As a genral rule of thumb.

put your best most interesting pieces at the top

and your weakest at the bottom (... if you feel including these pieces doesn't hurt you)

You definitely have some very very strong pieces towards the bottom that I would push to the top (and vice versa) Put your best face forward! Start with your strongest piece.
    Which pieces do you think would rank in order from strongest to weakest?
    I would also re-label object models to "props" and the Jeramine B link to "Characters"
    done :P
    "to see full size: right click image > copy img url > paste in new tab)"

remove this - I would just go to blogspot or some other site that does the image in-frame (I think it's called letterbox) zoom function for you. There's no shame in using a blog site if you have a domain name.

It's an easy way to get a solid layout, and it saves you time so you can begin applying to more jobs.
    Im assuming this was posted before i posted the wix. or should i use another site/layout?
    ill probably use proximeties method, but im afriad it would be an extremely long site.
    Oh and I can't believe it hasn't been linked yet.

http://www.jonjones.com/2005/10/07/your-portfolio-repels-jobs/

and watch this video (I was actually there for the recording ^_^)

http://www.jonjones.com/2011/08/20/the-art-of-getting-noticed-video-speech-and-text/

There are some pieces where you do not have turn around - and the images are VERY tiny. You may need to go back and take some better stills of your work. As well as having a standard format for displaying your work, you have full rotations on some of them .... wires on some - no wires on others.
    when setting up the portfolio i was trying to go with that article. so i should have a rotation, still, and wire for all of the pieces?
    thanks for the lengthy post :)
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    What kind of work do you want to do?
  • jermaineb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In the Contact / Resume, comic sans looks a tad...childish and outdated. Go with a strong clean font. My crappy two cents.
    you mean on the resume or on the site? also any font recommendations?
    Snader wrote: »
    What kind of work do you want to do?

essentially anything 3d modeling, but id like to do characters. I put the characters at the fore front, because thats what id like to do, but wanted to show if they dont like my characters i can do props as well on the 2nd page.
  • jermaineb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok so heres and update.
    move all my stuff over to wix and tried to have it all on one page and such blaze-blah
    heres the new site
    http://batenkaitosorigins.wix.com/jermaineb#!home/mainPage
    i know theres still stuff that needs to be done. so what should be done?
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    More of a critique about the art. You have anatomy issues in all your 3 human characters, and worst of all they are all the same mistakes in all 3 pieces. You elongate your torsos and squash proportions, you also tend to miss the cheek bone and orbital eye socket, your noses lack shape, and your chins have no definition. I think it would greatly benefit you to do some hardcore anatomy studies because it will make a huge difference in your characters.
  • jermaineb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    most definitely. just beginning, but ill definitely do that. just started humanoid characters probably 2 months ago or so, but i shall definitely do some anatomy based stuff in the immediate future. I sadly just need a job right now or ill be homeless :P