Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Dota2] - Riki - Tools of the Deposed

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
reverendK polycounter lvl 7
A brief look at the lore shows Riki as a pretty classically troubled character. Royal family - everybody but them killed - roughing it and learning some new skills while plotting revenge and searching for those who ruined their life.

I'd like to tip my hat a little more to the stage between fleeing for his life and finding his new place as an assassin. We're talkin tatters and ashes - signs that he has fallen far and landed hard but is beginning to get back up again and use that pain to fuel the fire inside.

rikConcept01.jpg

Replies

• Erafic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Erafic polycounter lvl 10
    Ah another Riki entry, will be interesting to see what you come up with :D
    I'm also working on some items of his royal background [here].
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *concept update*

Erafic - Indeed, i saw that! likin where you've gotten with it already.
    I am actually trying to kind of go in the opposite direction (but with hints or elements of the royalty still present) - i'm pulling the color palette back to more muted tones and trying to give him a little bit more of a jagged/gritty feel - actually he's moving ever closer to being kind of Bounty Hunter-ish.
    in the end i'm really hoping to push a bit of his backstory into the design -more by showing evidence of the fall than evidence of the opulence.
  • Higgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like how this looks
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Really cool design! I especially like how the back story you've designed comes across very clearly in the items. Painting the weights on the overcloak is gonna be a pain though ... :)
  • Erafic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Erafic polycounter lvl 10
    Ah looks really nice with the concept now! From experience with the budget now my tip is to consider what pieces belongs to the head since both headgear and horns will fight for the same poly limit. The overcloak should be partly done on the "shoulder" budget. Considering the budget is a bit tight for the cloak bit do take a look and base it on the LOD1 (Lowpoly) version you get with the work files. It's the lowpoly you'll see ingame and can help with deciding the topology.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Indeed - I'm far more concerned with the poly-limit than the weights. One can create an impasse, the other just a pain in the neck.

I'm very much hoping I can work some magic with the shoulder slot (and maybe even squeezing some parts into the arms or tail slots) with the cloak - Riki's poly limit is a bit lower than other heroes I've looked at so it'll be a good challenge. As for the head - i'm not too concerned. I'm confident I can get the horns and the hood into the limit.

always like a good challenge though - I'm definitely bending the character into a design he wasn't necessarily optimized for - so poly/texture will be a worthy opponent. I should (hopefully) have a blockout by the end of the day - going to squeeze a little in at lunch while i'm at work...
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Overdue Update. got the quick and dirty block out done - it's a little over spec because it's optimized for scupting..which i'm doing little by little. Was hoping to have gotten more done by now, but it is what it is.rikiWIP01.jpg
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ack. been having significantly slower progress than i would like. busy busy busy...Wel here's the progress.
    rickiWIP02.jpg
    got the clothy bits sculpted. next to move on to the horns and the tail. then retopo! i need sleep.
  • Dreymord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I very much like your concept art - feels much more in line with the character's flavor then the original ever did! I'm looking forward to further updates. It goes without saying, but... good job so far.