Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Dota2] - Invoker - Bindings of the Learned One

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
Name is temp.

Basically it revolves around Invoker being a huge asshole.

As his lore states, he has mastered not one, not two, but a whopping 10 spells! This impressive feat is multiplied by the fact that he has memorized them all.

So for the set, I wanted to combine him being an asshole to everybody (his voicelines are brilliant btw) and him needing no aides to cast his spells. The idea I arrived at is that he would wear armor made out of scraps of paper with spells written on them as well as book, scrolls, etc. to taunt his enemies. It would be like dangling a weapon in front of his enemies' noses and being confident that he could still beat them.

Concepts to follow hopefully tonight.

JHEG4.jpg

EDIT 11.12.2012:
Model Progress:

5mlwV.jpg
7Yf01.jpg
BAxGE.jpg

Concept:

HxYLs.jpg

Replies

• bungy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • RossC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    I think maybe having his eyes blindfolded or something would add to idea? Books acting as armor and torn and broken pages as the armor's trim? Sounds like a funny but awesome idea.
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yjyuf.jpg

Getting some initial ideas down on paper. I'm not really too happy with any one of them right now but there are certainly individual parts that I like... more to come soon :3
  • tfmcmahon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool! I like the one on the right, maybe with the head piece from the first one.
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm at work so I can't post concepts until tonight but I thought it'd be cool if instead of hair, he'd have glowing runes tattoo'ed on his head. Kinda on the fence about that one though because I'm not sure just how good a bald Invoker looks ^^

The 3rd one which was initially my least favorite one is starting to grow on me... I might take the major design elements from that and combine it with elements from the other 2
  • Some Jerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eh, Invoker isn't quite Invoker without his fabulous hair. Though the runes are still a cool idea. You could easily work them into some kind of headgear.
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SXfzW.jpg
    c14e7.jpg

Progress for tonight.

Working off of this concept for now, but I'm most definitely not married to it. I figured it'd be good to get a basic blockout in 3D for tonight so I can get a more clear idea of how it's gonna work together. The shoulders look a little wide to me in the side cam but then again, the stock ones are huge too. The big cylinder on his back is supposed to be a big chinese style scroll.

I'm starting to get a little bit scared of the poly budget because I have a lot of separate objects which is gonna be costly poly wise... we'll see.

Also, some stuff from the concept is still missing in 3D, namely the bracers, and the book belt thing (which I'm gonna throw in with the shoulder if the poly budget allows it, bracers otherwise). So much to do, so little time :)

Also, I'm keeping the "runes instead of hair" idea in the background for now, might come back to it later though... I think I'll prioritize the "main" 3 items though. Who knows, maybe I'll even get to do a Forged Spirit, maybe something like a small tornado that's caught bookpages and through the imbued magic in the pages has come alive, air elemental style... ah, I need more hours in the day!

/rambling
  • mrpresident
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrpresident polycounter lvl 10
    Looks great, biggest issue I have with it at the moment is that it looks like the books on his shoulders are about to slip out of their bindings and fall to the ground, the angle is a bit too steep. Maybe if the shoulders curled up a bit more on the ends the books could lay more flat? I also like the bottom part of the shoulders in concept #2 better but that's just me.
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I agree, the bottom part of the shoulders is my least favorite part so far :S

I was toying around with the idea of having the books (or maybe the candles) actually float above the shoulders proper, what do you guys thing of that?
  • miura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love the idea, i do think that the candles could be a bit distracting if you make them float, just because the silhouette of invoker is already so busy with his huge shoulderpads and the little things floating arround him.
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good point. I'm running into issues with where they currently are, because the top of the candles is right next to the scrolls sicking out from the neck piece. And we wouldn't want Invoker setting himself on fire, now would we?

The cloak is also very much still a placeholder until I can figure something unique out with it... It just seems too... standard right now -.-'
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    You could try one massive open book on his shoulders in stead of the bounded ones, might make it less noisy and easier to fit into the budget. But I like where this is going :D Books and candles are always so cool :D
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, that's what the first two concepts were supposed to be, but my 2D skills aren't nearly up to par with the Polycount guru's :P

I was laying in bed last night contemplating this exact issue - not only would it be easier and less noisy, but it would identify it clearly as a book. Right now, the two shapes could be any rectangular shape because the book cover would be covered up by the scroll going across the top anyways... back to the drawing board, at least partially.
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, another round of (somewhat) fleshed out silhouettes. I'd really love a lot of feedback on this so I can start detailing a final(ish) concept tomorrow.

Whenever the face (top?) of the book on the shoulder pad is NOT covered up by the rolled out scroll, that means the book is open, with the pages upwards. When it's covered by the scroll it means it's a closed book on either side.

Focused mainly on bracers and shoulders. You can totally mix and match from all of these, even if you like one part of just the shoulders in particular but not the rest, tell me! Paintovers are more than welcome if you would like to see a more complex combo of different aspects. All feedback is good feedback, so let me have it!

P7ZzY.jpg
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    I like 7 :D Candles and quills, plus the shape is nice and simple. 6 is cool too.
  • Core7SO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would say 4 or 6, really diging the bracers on 4/1 :D
  • danidem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danidem polycounter lvl 11
    I like 7 :D Candles and quills, plus the shape is nice and simple. 6 is cool too.

This :)
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys, keep it coming!
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paintup of number 7. GIMME ALL YOUR FEEDBACK! I think I'll do one more alternate of something related to 6ish..

7LsiV.jpg
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated with paintover of number 6. I'd love to hear your guys' thoughts! And be mean!

AXMXz.jpg
  • Vindalia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright here's what I think: I love your attention to detail, but I'm worried its getting a bit TOO detailed. It'll look great on paper, but when it gets imported into the game I'm guessing the majority of it will become teeny-tiny or just noise. On that note, I'd suggest really emphasizing one or two major components of his outfit, like the books or scrolls on his shoulder or the lanterns hanging from the wrists (that's an awesome idea, illumination at your fingertips!) So, decide what your focal point is, really boost that up, and make sure the rest of the design complements that instead of tries to grab attention away from it :) So yeah, that's my two cents and I hope its helpful!
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OM NOM NOM delicious feedback. More please!

Really good points! That's why I'm leaning more towards number 7 (left one on the latest image) because it's not quite as noisy as the other one. I'm still on the fence about the lanterns, I initially drew it up more or less as a joke because it is a bit silly but now... hmmm. What does everybody else think?

And concerning the left image: My hope was that the red bookmark hanging down along with the scroll (runes would be self-illuminated) and the candle (ideally would have a little flame) would draw the eye more than say the text on the book or the black of the shoulder, therefore giving the viewer a definite focus where the bookpage itself serves more as a background. Do you think this will work?
    For the bracers, I'd say the focus is more on the form as the hanging down part would (again, ideally) be cloth sim'ed so the actual form would be more interesting than the color etc.

I'm not that strong in design, so if I'm making some obvious mistakes in my thinking here, please hit me over the back of the head and tell me :3 Again, any and all critique is more than welcome!
  • Vindalia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As for number 7, I'd cut out the feathers simply since they don't really fit the books/spells/runes theme (but you could argue they are quill pens, and a whole bunch of them). When it comes to the bookmark and runes, I think you've gotta pick one or the other. I'd pick the runes and make them as big as the ones in number 6 so the self-illuminating effect would be more visible from afar. Bookmarks are neat and all, but they might look like stripes from far away (and hey, Invoker doesn't need bookmarks, right? He just absorbs books magically)
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, them being quills was the original idea, check the silhouette sheet from yesterday.

Hm, that's a tough choice. Personally I really like how the bookmark fits in to give that thing that your eye can follow across the design (in German there's a expression for it that literally means red line or red string ^^) and it synergizes well with the bit of red in the candle.

I don't really want to make the runes as big as in 6 because then it'll be only one rune per page which kinda lessens the feel of the book as being packed with knowledge and give it more of a picturebook vibe ^^ What if I made the runes on the scroll red instead of blue? They're already really close to the bookmark as it is and I think that they could join into one visual hotspot instead of two separate ones.

As for invoker not needing bookmarks, the "lore" on the set is that he's such a dick that he wears the armor to taunt his enemies, so the books technically aren't for him, but rather for his enemies.
  • Boonta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boonta polycounter lvl 13
    love the book shoulders!
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Pale-Face!

I'm gonna take you guys' advice and at least try it with bigger writing, I have a feeling it'll turn out that you guys are right.
  • LuCh!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LuCh! polycounter lvl 5
    6 looks really good!
    although, why all those scrolls/books if he has memorized all his spells?
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's in the "lore" piece in the first post, he's a dick so he wants to taunt his enemies by showing them books and scrolls they might use against him, being sure that he'll win even if he gives his enemies that advantage
  • Larkbeef
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Books of arcane magix, I like! I really liked the candles too.

Pooling my few cents, I would agree with Vindalia about the feathers/quills. I first read them as some kind of padding for the shoulder, like goose down.

Had an idea about the bookmarks, what if there where several of them instead? Not sure if it just made a mess.

n6x1v.jpg
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh man, that's great! Keeps it simpler by keeping the same design elements instead of adding the additional feathers. To be honest , I was kinda scared of the feathers because I still don't know if we can use alphas on heroes that don't initially have them O.o

Getting off work soon, now I'm super excited to redraw this!
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Didn't get as much done as I wanted, but for now I think I'll move on to doing the cloak tomorrow. I might bring back the quills in some capacity at some point, not sure yet.

Most importantly though, I feel I'm kinda falling behind my schedule so I'm antsy to push forward ^^

v56LN.jpg
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    doesn't matter the colour, the runes will be to small and will lead to a case of to much pixel information per pixel on lower resolution settings, so you will get slight jittering which is quite distracting and annoying.

maybe you need to think of other symbols instead of those fake runes which currently looks like its an alphabet as if something is written

how about symbols like the bottom 5 in this image
    warrior_talismans.gif

which are symbols that can be seen as a full spell, like japanese symbols can mean a word instead of representing a letter.
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Which runes are you talking about specifically? The ones on the book, scroll, bracers or neck?

EDIT: Also, thanks for that sweet reference of runes, will definitely use that :3
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    man, great woek, i will be following the progress =]
  • Fishmonger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would start playing Invoker if this set got in. It's just too damn sexy.
  • LuCh!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LuCh! polycounter lvl 5
    Spudnik wrote: »
    It's in the "lore" piece in the first post, he's a dick so he wants to taunt his enemies by showing them books and scrolls they might use against him, being sure that he'll win even if he gives his enemies that advantage

oh ok, seemed to overread that part!
    that just makes it awesome! xP
  • SoJa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, I'm surprised nobody noted that yet, your concepts are beautiful, but actually they goes against his theme. Invoker is known for remembering everything with his own mind ("My mind is my Arcanery!"), while the others needs books, wands and the other magic stuff. But if it will get in the game, I'll be happy cause it looks awesome. Overly detailed in some parts though, but that's fixable.
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Maybe I should adjust the name of the set to reflect that more, but I ain't that good with them fancy big city words - English is only my 2nd language. Maybe something like "The Learned One's Challenge", "The Belligerent Scholar", "Mocking Magus", "Dissenting Diviner" or "Affrontive Augurer"

Maybe I could adjust the "lore" so that he keeps the books and scrolls as trophies. Other heroes collect shrunken heads, he collects books.
  • P05TMAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, just wanted to say that I'm really digging this concept. I'd love to suggest some names and possibly item description writeups if you'd be interested. Feel free to PM me if you are. Either way, best of luck and keep up the good work.
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cloak and backside as well as (super) rough concept of Forged Spirit replacement. Not too happy with the cloak yet, but for now I'll move forward to blocking and make changes there.

The runes are gonna be bigger in, I'm not ignoring your guys' feedback, just a bit pressed on time.

HxYLs.jpg
    1hDLO.jpg
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update for tonight.
    p3lUs.jpg
  • ThunderCloud
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You've gotta lose the black hair, man. Your design looks great, but that hair is dragging it down so much. If you're putting a hood over it and it just serves as an aid to shading, then that's fine, but just please assure me that this Invoker isn't gonna go full-on skinhead.
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nope. He's just gonna be using the default hair, it was just not on in the viewport because I have all the default items on one layer :). But I turned it on in this update just for you :3

Ln0dI.jpg

UVs are only using half the space because I'll be scaling them to use all the space so when I paint on at 256x512 (or rather 1024x2048) I won't have to deal with stretching.
    VmlSk.jpg
  • Beezow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reminds me of the paladin t2 set in WoW, pretty neat.
    That isnt what makes it a great set though, it's the idea and execution. Keep up the good work!
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yay! I'm kinda scared of the bookmarks etc since they are just planes. I'm afraid it'll be a pain to sculpt on/bake :S
  • kageko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    for the planes, just do one side and after you baked it, duplicate it and flip the normals, problem solved, you dont even have to worry about backface-masking :)

something that worries me is the scrolls that are going to be hanging from the arms, are there any bones there to skin them to, or will they be static?
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Static most likely. I thought they were probably short enough to not have physics on them. The ones on the chest, I'll see what can be done, but so far you can't get custom physics in without hacking a bunch of things.

Also, unfortunately I can't duplicate and flip normals on the single planes because I'm already only 2 tris under the budget even for lod0 :( My hope was that they were all close enough to another surface (in the case of the books ones) that one wouldn't notice, and in the case of the ones on the chest that they were never gonna be seen from behind anyways.
  • JGcount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First let me say I really love the idea. However, there is something very clumsy about the shoulders right now. I think its the size. As Beezow said, it reminds me of an old pally set from WoW - the books where a lot smaller on that model, as I remember.

Also, how does it look from the player angle?
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was hoping I'd have something to show yesterday but it didn't work out :( Definitely tonight though. And yeah, the books are a bit oversized because a) viewdistance is pretty high and b) Invokers default shoulders are GIGANTIC. Like I said, I haven't tried it ingame yet, as soon as I do, I'll have something better than my gut feeling for you guys :D
  • aeruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aeruz polycounter lvl 4
    his armor reminds me of the paladin in world of warcraft