Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Boxing Gym

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
MGE_PM polycounter lvl 10
Hey Guys, I'm nearly finished with this piece and just few more pieces left to do.
I was wondering what do you think about it... where I can improve, and basically what's lacking.

thanks.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
ring.jpg

Replies

• PHArt
    I don't frequent boxing gyms but I'd say it's a little too empty and unused. Your scene shouldn't just be a showcase of what you do. It should tell a story.

Issues right off the bat are:
    It looks like this is a gym for only 4 people?
    It's a gym, they're proud of the boxers they produce yet no imagery, magazines, photo's?

Look at these screens:
    http://webassets.scea.com/forums/32575_gym2.jpg
    http://www.takegreatpictures.com/app/webroot/content/2010_images/2005/05/04/tip1_6258.jpg
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_6HMiLn3_u9g/TOWoA90Hu8I/AAAAAAAAAb0/mLYJEAlXyjA/s1600/Picture+21.png
    http://images.nymag.com/bestofny/beauty/2007/boxing070312_560.jpg
  • eY3lEs5
    It's a good start man, but like PHArt said, it's pretty empty. He provided some excellent reference material, I'd suggest researching more reference and make some additional props to make your scene look like it's frequented. Just by looking at some of those images shared by PHArt, you could easily duplicate your floor mats around and add a few more bags. You might want to create a variation of punching bag textures so they don't look too repetitive. Couple more props, some poster decals, and signs of grunge/wear-and-tear would really help sell the idea of this being a boxing gym.
    Your lighting needs some work too. You may want to consider adding a few more light sources, and try and get more of that bounced light filling the room. Your props are being hidden in the dark, making it hard to see your work.
    Keep it up, it's a great start and this could turn into a nice piece! :)
  • mttjss
    Offline / Send Message
    mttjss polycounter lvl 11
    Good start. Feels really desaturated and low light. NO windows??
    The stairs feel really boxy.
    The boxing rink itself feels a little small??

Keep going though..looking forward to more!

Matt -
  • MGE_PM
    Offline / Send Message
    @PHArt - Thanks for feedback, scene with posters looks better (I think :)

@eY3lEs5 - Thanks, I've changed the lighting a bit.I think it's looks better now.

@mttjss - I've added more colours in to the scene :)

Also here is an update :) thanks guys for feedback !!!

1.jpg

2.jpg
  • eY3lEs5
    Yes, it's looking much better now, you might be able to brighten it a little more. I'm guessing you are going for the "closed, after-hours" look. Consider adding some sort of light, or even turn on some of the turned-off light fixtures. You could probably get some really cool pools of light that would help guide the viewers eye to the ring, and other areas of the scene such as the punching bags (help make the punching bag on the left in the first image visible).
    Maybe you can put posters or some decals on a couple of the pillars. Nice update, keep it going!
  • ScottP
    Offline / Send Message
    ScottP polycounter lvl 10
    Do not like the post processing at all. It looks to purple. Try to make it look more realistic. It's also to dark overall.

Also it needs more detail and variety. Maybe throw in a mat or more props. The floor is to simple and plain.
  • MGE_PM
    Offline / Send Message
    Lighting/PP update:

3.jpg

4.jpg
  • eY3lEs5
    Lighting is probably one of the hardest things to tweak, takes lots of iterations and experimentation. The first shot looks a little blown out, but it's looking much better now that we can see your work :) Don't be afraid to fine tune and experiment a little more as you continue.

I like your second shot the most, in regards to composition. You may need something else in the foreground, maybe some props that help support the closest pillar on the right. Could be posters or some sort of hanging signage, maybe a dumb bell rack with a couple weights on it. You may also want to consider making a quick prop to integrate the wooden beams on the ceiling that connect to your wooden pillars. Like, some sort of bracket, something to show how it is structurally sound. Make sure to find reference for those ideas if you make them.

Keep up the good work!